DVLA revoke licence even though GP advised me fit to drive

Mac2002

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2 do these rules about testing before driving apply to me ? I have just started driving again after 30 years because husband can no longer drive. My licence is up for renewal in September should I be worried ? Please advise thank you .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When my licence was under threat from a driving incident I quite honestly said to a member of staff that at the DVLA on the phone that I had been given antidepressants because of all the stess worry and depression this was giving me.
Within 2 days I had another form sent to me saying that I needed to complete another medical questionairre as I had not given them all my medication and illnesses.

Many people are not aware that some medication for even depression and other illnesses have to be declared....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I am type 2 do these rules about testing before driving apply to me ? I have just started driving again after 30 years because husband can no longer drive. My licence is up for renewal in September should I be worried ? Please advise thank you .

Depends if you are taling hypo inducing drugs such as any insulin or glicazide tablets etc.

kfp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I received a letter from the DVLA saying that my renewal application was being rejected on medical grounds, but the only reason they gave was that they did not believe I confirmed to their testing while driving requirements.

I have never had a hypo at the wheel, or one requiring assistance. Like all type 1 I get the odd "oooh I need to eat something" and then crisis averted. On the long trips e.g holiday/visiting family (8 trips a year approx) I do the full every 2 hours job, but my day to day drive is 0.9 miles to work and then back. I don't feel it necessary to test every day just having eaten breakfast as obviously I've just eaten so of course it will be higher. I have good hypo awareness, I know about a need to eat from around 4-4.5mmol, and the shaky/sweaty palms of it goes below that. By this point I have always treated. I do test at random points throughout the day, some of which are first thing and some of which are before driving home, I just don't do it every day for a 3 minute journey.

I had an appointment with my GP in relation to my application and he stated he wasn't recommending refusal and would write to the DVLA his findings. Yet my application was still refused.

I can cycle to work, but I often need to take heavy items and 3 days a week currently take my dog with me and wouldn't be able to get her bed and bowls on the bike too.

What frustrates me the most is that if the GP had recommended refusal 8 weeks ago we could have discussed remedial measures and if have a start, now I've got to play appointment lottery and whatever he can suggest to turn them round.

Anyone have any advice on this as I can't contact GP until Monday. Sorry it's a long rant, but I have been up all night stressing

You have 6 months to appeal, tell them you are going to appeal it usually gets them into action, I had trouble with them with eyesight even though I had a consultants recommendation, I went to court and won but they usually cave in before court.
Sounds like your GP has messed up with my GP the Secretary fills out forms and I've never met her !!
Idiots

ferret1o3uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YES APPEAL STRAIGHT AWAY IN WRITING , STATE YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THEIR FINDINGS , WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THEY CAME TO THAT CONCLUSION AS YOUR DOCTOR IS SUPPORTIVE AND HAS NO ISSUES WITH YOU DRIVING . PHOTOCOPY EVERYTHING YOU SEND TO THEM .REPORT IT TO YOUR MP AND ASK THEM TO FORWARD IT TO THE HEALTH MINISTER TOO . ON APPEAL YOU WILL BE REVIEWED BY A IMPARTIAL DOCTOR , WE ALL NEED TO COMPLAIN LOUD AS POSSIBLE TO PRESS AND TV ABOUT THIS TOO

mirren101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's time diabetes UK got in about the dvld and put them straight this is blatant discrimination against diabetics

Chrissy232

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i've just got my licence back after it being revoked for a year my opinion is probably not that your sugar levels are bad but maybe not checking enough. If you drive daily you need to test daily because it only takes that one time for you to not check that something goes wrong good luck with it very frustrating I know but it's not only for your safety but for others as well

Bighans

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars
I think as a type 2 insulin dependent myself, it is a must to test and it is only logical. Any chance to avoid a hypo whilst driving. Guys stop moaning about it and do as told, as well keep eating every half hour just a little something. And stop every 1 1/2 hr and test and stretch your legs, nothing wrong with that. If you a bus driver, do it at every terminus and you will be fine. So take it as an insurance policy for other road users and yourself!!

Reactions: 2 people

blink

I think as a type 2 insulin dependent myself, it is a must to test and it is only logical. Any chance to avoid a hypo whilst driving. Guys stop moaning about it and do as told, as well keep eating every half hour just a little something. And stop every 1 1/2 hr and test and stretch your legs, nothing wrong with that. If you a bus driver, do it at every terminus and you will be fine. So take it as an insurance policy for other road users and yourself!!

He is following the rules though......he is complaining that after following the rules the declared have still not renewed his license. You don't need to be eating every half hour either if you are a type 1 and you background insulin is correct you don't need to eat anything to keep your bg level steady.

I'm unsure about type 2 diabetes as I have type 1. He has stated that on long drives he does stop and test every 2 hours as per stated by the dvla rules.

Hope you get all this sorted out and let's know what went wrong.

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends if you are taling hypo inducing drugs such as any insulin or glicazide tablets etc.

They don't want to know about anything other than insulin if it is for a standard car licence. Gliclazide, Victoza etc are all non reportable drugs. See the link given elsewhere for the full run down on what the DVLA needs to know.

Ali

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They don't want to know about anything other than insulin if it is for a standard car licence. Gliclazide, Victoza etc are all non reportable drugs. See the link given elsewhere for the full run down on what the DVLA needs to know.

Ali

Yep seen it.. Sorry.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No worries, just seeing a lot of posts lately implying various oral drugs and injectables are notifiable but they aren't. I find it odd tbh but there!!!!

Ali

I should know better tho!!

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's time diabetes UK got in about the dvld and put them straight this is blatant discrimination against diabetics

Hi Mirren,

I completely agree. I have been in close liaison with Diabetes UK regarding this and they assure me they are holding out to hear the outcome of the meeting held in October and will be campaigning later in the year if things do not change. Take a look at my campaign for more information if you haven't already seen it: http://www.tinyurl.com/A4DD-Petition . It took a hell a lot of fighting but I was lucky in getting my licence back. I'm still campaigning and pushing for the DVLA to make changes to their criteria. I think things are meant to be looking positive though and there is a lot of work going on in the background or so I'm told. Role on October when we might have a decision!

Reactions: 2 people

denbo

Does anyone know if u can claim loss ov earnings whilst yr licence as been revoked due to waiting to c DVLA independant consultant wot do they think yr living off whilst they make a decision as can't work til I get my licence bk