ARGH!!! I can't stop eating!!!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
HELP!!! Ever since yesterday I've had a ravenous hunger come over me! I had a sanwich for luch (and a bag of crisps). 10 mins later I had another sandwich and another bag of crisps. Then i had 2 peices of steak for tea, which would usually be more than enough to keep me full until bed time. But after about 30 mins I was starving again! All we had at home was cheese and crackers, so I had a few, but I was still hungry.

Today I've had 2 sandwiches an a bag of crisps, but I'm still hungry...

Can this all stem from the sandwiches I ate yesterday??? I'm hungry as we speak!

rosqho

Hi Patch,
I have found that sometimes, eating carbs such as bread and crisps, leads to a craving for more carbs and a vicious circle develops - the more carbs you eat the more carbs you want and the bs goes up with it. What I do to try and break the cycle is to drink water ( temporarily fills me up) and try to go for a walk (if only to the post room). Failing that, try to have some non carb nibbles handy, carrot sticks or cubes of cheese. But above all - don't be too hard on yourself - we all fall by the wayside occassionally. :?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been cheating a little actually - I'd been on a course and was eating pasty and chips for lunch (naughty - I know...).

Guess I'll just have to tough it out and get back on the Eggs n' Meat!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry inwales! I still haven't found a decent substitute for chips or crisps... I've wondered about mashed cauliflower shapped into fritters then oven baked. I worry that it'll end up as an inedible mush!

Deep frying might work - but who deep fries these days? (Not because of the health issues - more because it gets so bl00dy messy!)

inwales

Well I put raw cauliflower in a processor to make raw cauli rice!!!

But why not experiment? Add some fat to the mash to make it more satisfying for you. Paprika, garlic and chopped spring onion is yummy in it too.

ChocFish

Patch, have you tried to cut pumpkin, aubergine (use other veg if you like) into thick chips, toss in oil, you can use coconut oil if you want, then ovenbake till golden, season with salt, paprika, whatever you fancy.

Do comforting veggie mash, you can even sneak in a small potato or sweet potato, it wont cause that much damage.

Re cauliflower rice, I season it with salt, pepper, butter and a couple of sprinkles of Maggi liquid seasoning - if we are having curry I soften half a finely chopped onion, a bay leaf, couple of cardamom pods and a bit of cassia bark or cinnamon stick, do this really slowly so it doesnt burn, and until the onion is golden, slightly brown at the edges, then stir in your cauliflower rice and its ready, it really does make a very acceptable pilau rice, even non diabetic friends and family like it, esp since its a good way of increasing vegetable intake.

All the best

Karen

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I got a recipe from a book by Oprah winfrey's chef. Sh coats veggie chips in beaten seasoned egg white and bakes in the oven. Calls them "unfried". superb with parsnips. ( I did it before diabetes) I'm sure quite a few veggies would work this way. Cauliflower sounds wonderful to me. I loved breaded deep fried cauli, before D.
I'll try it and report back

chocoholic

Patch, your posting made me laugh as it reminded me of that classic children's book 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar. "And on Wednesday, she was STILL hungry........."

Spiral

chocoholic said:
Patch, your posting made me laugh as it reminded me of that classic children's book 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar. "And on Wednesday, she was STILL hungry........."

I'm so glad it isn't just me.

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
I was doing so well and then had lots of sadness and lost my way...............now 6 weeks later, really cant get my will power started!!

need a serious kick up ar** lol :D