FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

finney

I've been using it for six months and thanks to issues with Abbott website, my payment got screwed up.
I'm now without for a week. It will be a challenge.

I am doing a Blind CGM test for my new hospital and I am LIbre Free for a week. I am amazed how much I miss the Libre , faults and all. I realise how useful the Libre was as yesterday I played golf, which is a nightmare BG wise.and did 10 BG tests. I am also having to write down every single detail of eating as they don't use Omnipod or Libre. I am looking forward to Thursday when I can put on my waiting Libre sensor. good tip from Emmotha to choose a convenient time to start and finish as in my haste to restart, I would have just slammed on the new one.

Has anyone experience of CGM and Libre. there doesn't seem to be much difference in annual cost, but Abbott have the advantage to me in the start up costs

Tricia

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on holiday at the moment and whilst the Libre has generally been a lifesaver and made it much easier to enjoy my holiday I keep getting "sensor too hot" messages! It's not THAT hot here (about 30 degrees) and it's annoying because it can take 30 mins or so to cool down and work again. Does anyone know what the official temperature range is specified to be?

finney

@finney there's a topic on the forum about the costs: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cgm-fgm-price-comparison.75106/

The real difference between the two is that CGM transmits data in realtime so allows alarms for low levels. Libre captures all blood glucose data but does not transmit it real time. It is only captured when you flash the sensor.

Thanks. Seems Libre still for me. I don't have much angst about night Bg levels, so can manage without the alarm.
I have had really volatile BGs the last few days particularly and having just changed my Omnipod sensor, there is a great blob of dried blood. I expect that is the culprit rather than all the intellectualising on the reasons, I have been doing.
Tricia

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive been tryin to get this sensor replaced for over a week now. no one is getting back to my emails. and every time i call i end up on hold forever and have to hang up, this is the worst customer service ever

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hospital are now recommending these Libres and getting them funded for people that test regularly ie more than 8 times a day.

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my yearly checkup yesterday and spoke to the consultant about the Libre, he hopes it will be available on the NHS but probably on a case by case basis - I don't think I'd qualify - but depends how the financial costs work out. @donnellysdogs where abouts are you - please say some where nice and sunny, I just might move house!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, my last sensor on my arm has left a nasty red rash. It's not at all itchy or painful - any tips for what I can use on it?
So my next sensor (on my thigh) has also left a nasty red rash. Looks like, 6 sensors in, my body has decided it doesn't like the Libre and that I'll be getting these rashes every time now. First ones were absolutely fine and didn't leave so much as a small mark. Annoying. The rashes are not painful or itchy, just really red and unsightly. Not sure if I should see my GP or just keep going on? Does anyone know the latest advice? I'm on holiday now but will try the compeed/bio oil suggestion when back home. Hopefully that will help.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on holiday at the moment and whilst the Libre has generally been a lifesaver and made it much easier to enjoy my holiday I keep getting "sensor too hot" messages! It's not THAT hot here (about 30 degrees) and it's annoying because it can take 30 mins or so to cool down and work again. Does anyone know what the official temperature range is specified to be?
The website says
Sensor operating temperature 10°C to 45°C

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So my next sensor (on my thigh) has also left a nasty red rash. Looks like, 6 sensors in, my body has decided it doesn't like the Libre and that I'll be getting these rashes every time now. First ones were absolutely fine and didn't leave so much as a small mark. Annoying. The rashes are not painful or itchy, just really red and unsightly. Not sure if I should see my GP or just keep going on? Does anyone know the latest advice? I'm on holiday now but will try the compeed/bio oil suggestion when back home. Hopefully that will help.

Hi Pinewood,

Your experience of the skin reaction mirrors mine and many other people's. It is a very common issue judging by the social media discussions and 5or 6 sensors seem to be the trigger point for most. Obviously there are many who don't get the skin reaction, but it is far more common than Abbott are admitting to.

The advice from Abbott, GP and anywhere else that has information on this type of skin reaction is to stop using the thing that causes it.

Once the reaction has happened, I think it is almost certain that you will get some level of reaction with every sensor. The biggest success rate in avoiding it seems to be to put the sensor on through a compeed plaster. I currently have mine over a duoderm plaster. It is not supported by Abbott, but it doesn't seem to have made the sensor any more or less reliable in my case. I hate it though because it now looks even more ugly than just wearing a sensor, especially as I expect I'll need to put some opsite over it in the next day or two to keep it stuck firmly.

I have tried Cavillon as a barrier but it made almost no difference; skintac made quite a big difference in reducing the damage, but I still got an unsightly red mark - and both required opsite over the sensor from about day 10 as the adhesive didn't seem to stick for as long to the barriers as it does to bare skin. I'm not actually sure what else to try or suggest.

Smidge

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pinewood,

Your experience of the skin reaction mirrors mine and many other people's. It is a very common issue judging by the social media discussions and 5or 6 sensors seem to be the trigger point for most. Obviously there are many who don't get the skin reaction, but it is far more common than Abbott are admitting to.

The advice from Abbott, GP and anywhere else that has information on this type of skin reaction is to stop using the thing that causes it.

Once the reaction has happened, I think it is almost certain that you will get some level of reaction with every sensor. The biggest success rate in avoiding it seems to be to put the sensor on through a compeed plaster. I currently have mine over a duoderm plaster. It is not supported by Abbott, but it doesn't seem to have made the sensor any more or less reliable in my case. I hate it though because it now looks even more ugly than just wearing a sensor, especially as I expect I'll need to put some opsite over it in the next day or two to keep it stuck firmly.

I have tried Cavillon as a barrier but it made almost no difference; skintac made quite a big difference in reducing the damage, but I still got an unsightly red mark - and both required opsite over the sensor from about day 10 as the adhesive didn't seem to stick for as long to the barriers as it does to bare skin. I'm not actually sure what else to try or suggest.

Smidge
As I have posted a few times in the past, I too have suffered the skin irritation and nasty red marks and this happened after the 5th or 6th sensor. I have tried every trick in the book with varying levels of success. I'm afraid I have now given up with the Libre even though I am desperate for it to work. But continuous skin irritation and a few sensor failures when trying to insert through a compeed or equivalent have finally forced me to stop and revert to finger pricking. I am ever hopeful that Abbott will do something with the adhesive or investigate further but I fear that because of the demand for the product this is unlikely for the time being.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm six months in and I fear the skin irritation is starting to apply to me. What I noticed is that it has started to appear at the time that my hay fever has started up. I am therefore about to start anti-histamines for that. I'm wondering whether this might reduce the reaction.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm six months in and I fear the skin irritation is starting to apply to me. What I noticed is that it has started to appear at the time that my hay fever has started up. I am therefore about to start anti-histamines for that. I'm wondering whether this might reduce the reaction.
That's something I also tried to stop the itching but I'm afraid it had no effect for me.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Andy_P and @smidge - such a shame that it's causing issues for so many of us. I really don't want to discontinue use because it's been such a valuable tool and has made life so much easier, but at the same time I naturally don't want to damage my skin. If it was itching or uncomfortable I'd be more inclined to stop immediately but because it's (currently...) just an unsightly rash and doesn't bother me apart from visually I'll try a couple more with extra measures in place such as the compeed plaster. Appreciate your advice.

One thought - and I might be barking up the wrong tree here - is whether something like a mild steroid cream might be worth trying (e.g. eumovate?) to deal with the existing rash?

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Andy_P and @smidge - such a shame that it's causing issues for so many of us. I really don't want to discontinue use because it's been such a valuable tool and has made life so much easier, but at the same time I naturally don't want to damage my skin. If it was itching or uncomfortable I'd be more inclined to stop immediately but because it's (currently...) just an unsightly rash and doesn't bother me apart from visually I'll try a couple more with extra measures in place such as the compeed plaster. Appreciate your advice.

One thought - and I might be barking up the wrong tree here - is whether something like a mild steroid cream might be worth trying (e.g. eumovate?) to deal with the existing rash?
I was given the Steroid cream 'Mometasone Furoate' by my GP and it has been very successful in treating the irritation caused by the sensors.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried a mild steroid cream and it does work quite well on the rash, but I stopped using it as I was worried about long-term use - one of the unpleasant side-effects is thinning of the skin - and that's the last thing I need if I am going to continue using the Libre.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Oh that's a shame Tim. I'm actually not at all sure that it is the adhesive that causes the issue with me - I'm starting to think it is the probe under the skin that causes it. I have a very similar reaction to nickel earrings. Mind you, I simply stopped using those - the bright red ear for 3 weeks really was too much to put up with for the value the earrings gave me LOL.

Smidge

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering, does anyone put their libre any else? My arms are very thin so it gets knocked easily and doesn't stay flat on my skin. My last sensor stopped working after 8 days as it had come out of the skin. Any other areas that might be better that get decent readings?

obates

Just wondering, does anyone put their libre any else? My arms are very thin so it gets knocked easily and doesn't stay flat on my skin. My last sensor stopped working after 8 days as it had come out of the skin. Any other areas that might be better that get decent readings?

I put mine on top front sort of where ud have a jean pocket over it. I have never nocked them off even when wearing really tight jeans. My last sensor was very inaccurate for about 3 first days and showed readings constantly 1.5 to 2 mmol lower. Since day 4 its ok, same as on the arm. My prev sensor was inaccurate for about 2 days same again with lower readings but i put it on 24hr before changing over and then it stopped working 12hrs before expiry time.. i know others have put their sensor on belly and get accurate readings.