All new to this fun

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

hello all,

Well let me break it down for you .....
Am 37 ..always been fit and always active all my life ...yes did like my sweets but as a high NRG person I would but of most things and stay around the 11st mark.
Two years ago I was told I have rumortiod arthritis (RA)...in both feet..knee and will progress to the rest of body....
Year ago I was working at the home offiice and at my desk.....the night before was in gym ...doing 20 miles on bike and static work....
Had chest pains then thought ....food ...worked it of with ibubrphen ....but next day at work was taken from my desk to hospital as looked like heart attack

Well was not ..was myocarditis ....mean my body was full of inflammation and had attacked my heart on the cellar level.....
RA is an auto immune .......so they stuck me on new meds to get under control
Methotrexate pen....20msg

Two weeks in to this I started to get thirsty ...am mean proper ...8L a day and two at night and I could hardly walk .....went docs....they did tests on liver and found it was failing on me and they said if I had taken one more injection it would of been very bad ...to the point of not writing this out.....

So they stopped meds.....but the the thirst kept on ...the amount of trips to loo...swear ...be rich if got £1 for each one lol..... So tired and dead to world.....
Three weeks after I stopped meds...I was having a bath....oh hell and dam fire ....felt like heart was going to go bang .....and was so weak I could hardly stand ....
Crawled in to bed...picked mobile texted my partner and told her ....999.....
They came on blues and two when they told them.....

All I can recall is the doctor saying ...its ether ICU now before he slips away now ...or if we can do this fast enough and get him stable we may win.
So they ment I was about a moment to coma and a few hours from not being here...once again....so tired lol

So was made stable after 8 hours to be level to a degree and move to a ward .....four days of getting ketones down...and oh boy they was high...and sugger levels where bad too....
So four days in and at end they came to me and said " Mr Jonny Jibbs ...your a type 1". My first thought ...well least am number one....in what race...then it clicked....

Last two week since I have been out it has been hell.... Had spikes of over 34 and my will power is not there as am at point of not excepting the dam thing in heart. But head knows and understands the complexity of the body and how food is moved about for poser and all that jazz... I don't go on DAFNE till end of July .....
Am on fixed shots 5 times a day at mo .... But sugars have been up and down like so and so since out..... Carbs counting not a clue ...what can and can not have in terms of bits I liked ...not a clue.... I have no info and no idea what am doing lol ....but I do see the DNS next week........

So that's me in my third week in being told I have to give up all that I love ....oh why is that peaing me off.... Coz my RA. Has a
Ready taken all my sports away ...I walk on two crutches now....so being told can not have my food .... On top of the other ....kinda been angry as hell since
I even sad bad words on here and got in trouble ...but I was at point of tearing a head off...any head ...still kinda am lol

Anyway ....that's me .....guess it's back to school now and learn ...but to be honest ...always was the one at the back of bike shed ...

Good luck all

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
No two ways about it, it's a pain in the backside.
It sounds as if you've been through a lot, but you're still here.
I'm type 2, so I only have limited qualifications to advise you. Plenty of T1 who will help you.
Unfortunately, you do need to change the way you think about food.
For the short term, it sounds as if you need to reduce your carbs until your numbers get under control. Once the numbers are controlled, you will probably able to balance some of the things you like with insulin.
Stay strong and imaginative and you will find a way forwards.
Best wishes
Adam

Reactions: 4 people

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh Jonnyjibbsuk you have been through the mill, im type 2 and have RA also amongst other things, so totally get where your coming from, the first few weeks are the hardest, trying to work out what causes all these spikes, then trying to work out if youve eaten enough not to have hypos, once you see your DNS ask them tons of questions about foods you can and can not eat, ( will be doing this myself when i see mine) write them down so you dont forget,

today i almost reached for the bar of chocolate in the fridge but then thought " no way you aint gonna beat me" just keep telling yourself it will get easier once you learn what you can have. i wish you well my friend and this seems to be the best place to chat about things and get some advice and tips

Reactions: 5 people
J

Jonnyjibbsuk

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430592005.949661.jpg

Think I can safly say I am getting this numbers game ...and in to the third week...must be doing something right then lol

JimmyCassidy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Numbers are coming down well, I was diagnosed at the start of April and has took me to now to get the numbers anyway decent, my graph was worse than yours...up and down like a yoyo lol

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi jimmy and Jonny it's tough. I. Was diagnosed15 years ago and being on here has made me reflect a lot. I found psychologically it was harder after the first few months. Once I started feeling like I was dying anymore it kicks in. No more this, no more dreaming of r a f career and on top it's Agatha lesson on repeat but different each time. The beginning is hard getting your head around. I did in many different ways like I feel upset how life may have changed but at least I don't feel like I once did. I sorta feel just me that diabetes is an art form and maybe I have it for a reason. Some might say it's my way of coping that I'm silly I say where is the evidence I'm wrong?

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

The only the that is teeth me is the constant lows now ....was ups now lows ...just come back form two hour trip out in to town...was ten wen I went out...just rocked back in and am 3.1 ...need to work out NRG to meds and food part

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nrg? The ups and down is the worst part but it will end and with your energy to get the numbers your get there

Reactions: 2 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do yourself a favour and download the carb list off the diadetes.co.uk website. thats a good start to looking at food and whats in it. until you do dafne treat 10cg to 1 unit of quick acting insulin. weigh your food and try and balance it out carbs/protein/fats and most importantly keep a accurate record of every thing you do....that will highlight patterns....if there are patterns the diabetic clinic will see them and advise you accordingly. and just read threads on here, you are not alone in this, we have all been there and are still there

Reactions: 2 people
J

Jonnyjibbsuk

Have the app and book.... Now ...been trying for last week to do so ....
But I have come to conclusion that ........
Am going to eat what I dam well like and I am not going to bother counting much more ....told my DNS......
Who by the way I lose in two weeks as I am having to move house ....just as I was getting to know them
She was not happy that I was doing so and that I missed a few injections
But nothing happened
So no problem

But yes carb counting is not for me ...if on my plate am going to eat it as I am losing weight again but that is coz I am not eating the right amount of food to keep me going owing to counting 1-10

So I just stick to what I know and sizes ...and feel much better eating food ....as not pulling it a part before I eat ...going can I eat it and if so what portion rubbish

So will be selling carbs and calls on eBay lol

Last night jerk chock rice and peas
Apple tart with custard
Popcorn for move

And I feel good lol