Are these hypos?

squeakywee

Hi all,

For some time now (about 3 years) I have been suffering from 'episodes' where, if I don't eat for a few hours, I suddenly get very weak and tired, and shake uncontrollably. When I get like this, I feel like I could fall asleep there and then, no matter where I am - out shopping, waiting for the kids at school home time, sat watching TV etc. However, if I do try to sleep I can't.

If I then eat, these symptoms go away with 5-10 minutes. It doesn't usually matter what I eat - it could be a sandwich, a chocolate bar, a few biscuits etc. I'm left feeling a little weak afterwards, but nothing like when the symptoms first start.

I purchased a blood glucose monitor from the chemist, and found that when these episodes happen my glucose is always around 4mmol/l. Although I realise this is a normal level and 3mmol/l is the usual number for a hypo to occur, I have read a few articles which indicate that hypos can happen at this level too. The lowest level I've ever had is 3.6.

I've been to see my GP about this, who ordered a fasting blood test but this came back normal. He then sent me for thyroid bloods and said these symptoms were due to me having a slightly underactive thyroid (am currently taking 50µg thyroxine, which I'm led to understand is a very low dose). However, the above symptoms haven't gone away since taking this medication.

Can anybody tell me if these are hypos, and if so can they arm me with some information to give to my doc?

Kat

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya kat,
anybody can feel hypo if they havent eaten for a while, i would eat regulary and keep a close eye on it, if it is still happening see the dr again, reactive hypoglyceamia may be worth reading about (type it in on nhs direct for info), in the meantime some form of glucose tablets would be a good idea to keep on you incase it happens again,
hope this helps :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Kat.

First of all a Hypo is considered to be anything under 4 mmol/l.

A glucose level below 3.0mmol/l indicates hypoglycaemia.
Some people experience symptoms when their blood sugar level is higher than this – eg at 4.0mmol/l. (Therefore 'four is the floor' for blood glucose levels.)

Here is a link to more information about Hypoglycaemia:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... garlow.htm

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
could be hypos, but you'd need a blood glucose meter if you want evidence for your doctor.

Marzeater

Wednesay last week I had the shakes before lunch, no snacks since breakfast 6 hours earlier. I lost any co ordination in my legs - I described it as walking like a thunderbird puppet. I shook so much it was a struggle to use the tester. I was surprised that the reading was 4.2. I always thought you only had problems around 3.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi marz.

I too get hypo symptoms at around 4.5 mmol/l. At least you get plenty of warning and can react to it. (See previous post)

Ken.

squirrel

When i first went on insulin i was feeling like this a 11mmol, i had to work myself down to normal levels but it took around two weeks, dieabetic nurse said it was not normal but may have been due to the fact i was sitting around 17mmol most of the time, she also said i should have been on insulin for at least a year not tablets.