Diet yoghurt

juliegeorge13

Can anyone please tell me why I can no longer buy a diet yoghurt at any of my local supermarkets (Tesco, Asda and Morrisons) where have they all gone? As I am still struggling to lose weight and control my BG I was advised to switch to diet yoghurt by my dietician and would love to but I can't get any of the supermarkets to stock a single diet yoghurt. Its disgraceful when the likes of Tesco and the rest have tried to jump on the healthy eating bandwagon with their advertising campaigns but when asked to actually stock a healthy option they refuse to put a single diet yoghurt in a whole aisle of non-diet yoghurts. They just point me at weight watchers yoghurt which is loaded with sugar and tastes awful or they tell me that they don't stock "special diabetic products". Since when has diet yoghurt been a diabetic product! Boy am I angry and I think I am going to pester the life out of them till they cave in and get some. Can I ask others out there to moan at them too, as there is strength in numbers. Moan over. :( Jools

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I suggest that you just check the carb values on the yogurts and buy the ones with the least amount of carbs.A lot of products that are marked 'healthy' or 'diet' often have more carbs than the normal yogurts!

Thirsty

Buy plain low-fat yoghurt and bung in a few chopped strawberries or blueberries etc. instead. Cheaper and just as tasty.

ChocFish

Completely agree with you there Thirsty, although I get the thick greek yoghurts, Lidl sells it really cheap, add whatever you like to that, some people add a spoon of sugarfree jams, whatever, I sometimes add stewed apple (do that in a minute in the microwave) with cinnamon.

All the best

Karen

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do exactly as above. Even the low fat Greek type yoghurts are fairly low carb also. I've just checked the one in my fridge, 0% fat, 5% carbohydrates
In winter I tend to add frozen 'fruits of the forest' At the moment its currants and rasberries straight from the garden :D

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Hey phoenix. You are some gal. Seen your stuff all over here. You are sure a real clever gal. Wow.

D.

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
tend to not bother with the fat free pots of gloop as dairy free means it is not yougurt :(

last one was onken wholegrain peach
2.8% fat
18% carb - 15.7% sugars

recall sainsburys do a low fat greek yogurt, tastes fine for me :)

not into counting calories or carbs, just eating well and heathily..

bunty

I eat Muller Light yoghurts and sometimes, a plain 0% fat Greek yoghurt with blueberries added to it.

Loads of yoghurts have soya in there (sometimes disguised as something else but they cant fool me these days!) so i have to avoid those.

Has anyone made their own yoghurt? That'd be interesting, i bet but seeing as they're made with milk, they all have carbs, whether or nor they're sweetened.

bunty

Edwardia

First tasted Total yogurt on a Greek island- fantastic stuff. They do a 0% fat yogurt now which is also live. Like Bunty,I stir in blueberries:)