Swine flu, are we at greater risk?.

Vegman007

What if any are the risks of swine flu to diabetics, are we at greater risk of problems.
I only ask as it`s now in my area and my wife works in a school.
Graham1441

Dr H

Dislikes
- People without manners
- Being interrogated about non-low-carbing
No. In the brief period I worked in Infectious Diseases I learnt that diabetes doesn't make you any more prone to a pathogen, however, because it's an underlying condition the outcome of a severe infection could be worse.

JohnnyAngel57

That's the comment that worries me slightly, in the deaths of swine flu mainly in europe & UK is the patient was suffering from 'underlying conditions'; straight away I thought whether or not diabetes was classed as an underlying condition or not and we were more susceptible.
John

Dr H

Dislikes
- People without manners
- Being interrogated about non-low-carbing
No, if you properly manage your diabetes you should be fine.

The 'underlying conditions' that the deaths have resulted from have been heart disease. But any disease that seriously weakens the immune system will result in high mortality rates e.g. cancer sufferers, COPD sufferers etc.

farmerfudge

I've just heard that someone at my work has contracted Swine Flu. To get this in perspective I work in a large head office with 1200+ people on site. As a T1 I know I'm not more likely to contract the virus in the 1st place but if do I'll likely suffer more severly. I really want to avoid being too reactionary but what's the best course of action?

bunty

I'm sceptical about all this and especially after reading that piggy flu is a mild illness in most people anyway.

I know we have diabetes but surely a diabetic with no other serious health issues, such as chronic asthma and heart problems, should be fine, even if they do contract swine flu? (we call it piggy flu here at work - we're slightly mad).

Personally, i refuse to get bothered by this flu and will keep calm and carry on. If i get it, i'll feel rough for a few days then recover.

That's how i see it, for now at least!

bunty

ChocFish

Hmmm maybe you should call NHS direct for advice, tell them someone at work has just been diagnosed with swine flu, considerin that you do have asthma should you be taking extra precautions.
One pupil at a school near where I live has been diagnosed with swine flu, the school was closed down for a week I think and one teacher also suffering from asthma has been given Tamiflu, the rest of them havent though, you have nothing to lose by calling them really, the number is 0845 4647, it may help put your mind at ease?

Like bunty I am not nervous and take it as it comes, but then I never really worry about myself being ill, but oh my if it is someone else its totally different...

I hope all goes well for you, if you do call NHS direct please let us know what they advise.

Karen x

farmerfudge

OK I rang NHS Direct. They said that the advice is to be vigilant and look for early symptoms of flu and then contact a doctor stating you're high risk, which almost goes without saying. It would certainly help to know which one of my colleagues has gone home with it, trouble is this site is vast. Ho hum, sit tight and hope for the best it is then :? :?

ChocFish

Awww not all that reassuring then huh? Well I guess to be fair there is not much they can really advise, its the same for all of us, I mean if you walk in the street, around shops we just dont know if we are walking past someone who is going to be diagnosed with swine flu later today or something.
So make sure you eat really healthy good food, and dont worry too much as this can affect your immune system too and its the last thing you want.
I am certainly keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.
All the best
Karen

Rubyroo1

Dislikes
Being diabetic (only joking!!)
Vaccination against Swine Flu

Two winters ago I didn't get my flu jab because my practice used it all up by giving it to anyone who wanted it and didn't prioritise the recognised at risk groups. By the time they got new stock in it was too late in the season to bother. Is there going to be guarantee, as swine flu panic reaches it heights, that such a thing won't occur again?

viv1969

Re: Vaccination against Swine Flu

There is currently no effective vaccine against Swine 'Flu.

If contracted it can be treated very effectively with appropriate anti-viral medications, and there are only a small percentage of the population who are at high risk of complications because thier health is already compromised.

If you are otherwise healthy, and your diabetes is well controlled you are at no greater risk than a non-diabetic.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
On one hand I am a bit nervous to getting swine flu because if I get a chest infection I get asthma with it but on the other hand having diabetes means I have had a pneumonia jab which is the complication that causes me to be more concerned about getting it. If anyone hasn't had a pneumonia jab, particularly if they suffer from asthma, I think it would be a good idea to ask for one.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Definitely we all need to keep or control as good as we can. However, Seasonal flu seems more deadly than the piggy one and most of us do no more than get our immunisations annually. In addition, this piggy flu seems to target a younger age group than so many of us.( unlike seasonal flu
PS one of the doctors at my health centre had a course of Tamiflu and said it was worse than the disease.

diabeticmum

swine flu question

I have just found out that my daughters school has a confirmed case of swine flu, she is fine, but obviously I am concerned she might become infected, and if I might catch it. Being a type 1, it worries me. as I know I am in the high risk group. The school is remaining open, but I am tempted to keep her home. I am going to phone my gp on Monday for some advive, but would appreciate any replies.

Many thanks
one worried mum

Shipper

Diagnosed today with H1N1 (Swine Flu) and put on "Tamiflu".

45, Male, Type 1 for the last six years, no prior history, IT Manager.

So it's a week off work, well, limited to the PDA anyway, and suffer the symptoms. Not really sure if I should be that worried or not, keep hearing on the news that the really bad cases where people die all have "underlying conditions" whatever that means.

Dosen't seem any worse that normal flu at the moment, but it's day one I guess.

Wish me luck

Shipper

farmerfudge

Speaking to my wife about all this and she's a nurse at a Leicestershire hospital.

Apparently the underlying conditions for those fatalities so far have been largely relating to renal problems. Basically anyone who has compromised kidney function or on immunosuppressant [spelling] drugs.

Interestingly she's found out the emergency protocal for her NHS trust also.
One hosiptal in the area sets up a triage unit to deal solely with Swine Flu cases.
Majority of people to be sent home, not necessarily with antibiotics because it's now
widely believed by the medics that Tamiflu doesn't work too well and only reduces the flu suffering period by 24 hrs max. Not even NHS staff will be given it unless they have underlying medical conditions. Only those with serious conditions will be admited to hospital. Infected patients are to be transported around hospital with surgical masks on but otherwise not required (again becausethey dont really work).

Oh and another 3 people have come down with it at work now. Which again is only a tiny minority so far.

caitycakes1

Good Luck Shipper,

Keep us posted with how you are getting on. Hopefully it won't be any worse for us diabetics than for anyone else.

Caitycakes x