I am shocked

jeanie99

I did a pre breakfast test this morning shocked was an understatement

I have never been over 6

Then I realised I am on antihistamine tablets and steroids for a severe allergic reaction to something unknown.
Checked out the ingredients of the tablets and all had lactose in so I assume that explains the result.

After breakfast 7.6

Just something to consider if you are taking any medication.

Reactions: 7 people

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a pre breakfast test this morning shocked was an understatement

I have never been over 6

Then I realised I am on antihistamine tablets and steroids for a severe allergic reaction to something unknown.
Checked out the ingredients of the tablets and all had lactose in so I assume that explains the result.

After breakfast 7.6

Just something to consider if you are taking any medication.

Steroids can also raise bs, but generally I think this is a side effect that takes time to develop.

Margaret

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been having severe allergic reactions too - was in A&E the other night with my throat swelling - and have noticed antihistamines have affected my BG levels too, though not quite as much as yours, but I went up to 8 which I'd never seen before.

jeanie99

I had not thought about medication before, it's certainly something I will check on now.

I have 4 more days on Steroids and Antihistamines. so will be testing each day.

I've had a really bad time over the last 6 days with this terrible reaction which wasn't clearing up.

karencymru

I take antihistamines every day, but was managing to get bg down slowly. Had a nasty flare up this morning for which I took 20mg pred and this afternoon bg is v high. Couldn't not have taken it, but hope the episode is short and can get back on track quickly.
I hope you are feeling better and the meds have worked, not just messed with your BG.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Medication can be a nightmare for bg control. When I was on steroids I had to increase my insulin by around 75%. It pays to ask your doctor and the chemist about anything, even over the counter cold remedies.