June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Great advice. Superb post
Thank you Mike. I might be labelled a "Senior", but truth be known, I'm still a newcomer really, but if I can help a newer newby than me have the confidence to know it's a manageable condition that some of us seem to be able to come to grips with quite quickly, then that's my good deed for the day :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm not sure if it's part of the T1D condition or just me being a moody barstool, but I'm experiencing some quite severe mood swings since diagnosis (3 weeks).

One minute I'm superman and I'm going to kick Diabetes' ass, and the next I'm down in the depths and can't even contemplate dealing with all the counting, calculating and general Diabetes nonsense.

A friend of mine who was in hospital at the same time as me has been diagnosed with cancer....Pancreatic cancer. I know, the irony isn't lost on me. He has 6-12 months to live. I go from thinking I got away with a lucky escape given his situation to just wanting to put my head in my hands and sob.

I'm not expecting any magic bits of advise, I just needed to vent I suppose.

I'll get over this stage but it's a real roller coaster ride at the moment and I'm just trying to keep it together for the sake of my wife and kids.

Hi and hello, it can be a bit of a roller coaster ride to start off with but everyone deals with it differently. Also, knowing that your friend has only months to live can hit so hard as it's shattering news and emotions come out from everywhere. You are going through a bit of a emotional tough time at the moment. Try not to worry too much, I know it's hard, but your friend will need you and you him. Type 1 can be a big shock to the system, but honestly it will get a little easier as time goes by. There will always be blips along the way, but with help and support you will do fine. From an old time Type 1.

Good luck and all the very best, RRB

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I simple meant I have been experiencing the same recently and have not before. I may have been t1 for 7 yrs but it's all still very new and changing all the time for me too. didn't mean to ruffle feathers

Hi, I'm sure you didn't mean anything, it's a little moan, we all do it and I'm not a newbie. I still shout at my meter sometimes and go what the flip, but the times when I say, yay, nice one, outweighs the negatives:)
It's certainly not all doom and gloom because we rule diabetes and it doesn't rule us as we're the boss and in control :)

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 6 people

Radge21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife says when my blood sugars are low my moods really go down.
She says I am a very happy chappy, but knows that when things are getting me down that my blood sugars are getting too low.
She is always right when I go to check.

I seem to start worrying about things when there is nothing to worry about.
Or get anxious, like I am about to sit an exam.

Reactions: 2 people

foxydent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T1 in my late 40's (fortunately I was with my family). If I'd been on my own I'd probably be dead. I thought I had a cold. My mum insisted I see a doctor. I was sent to A+E as I was dehydrated. Almost immediately on reaching A+E I became desperately thirsty and developed shortness of breath. Initially I was told I was hyperventilating but I was suffering from ketoacidosis. I had an abdominal CT scan (I'm sure not looking for gallstones as I was told). i'm sure they were looking to see if I had a pancreatic tumour (my pancreas had atrophied to about the size of a walnut). However the scan showed I had a lesion on one of my ovaries. Six weeks after being diagnosed with T1 I had a hysterectomy and removal of my ovaries. Fortunately the lesion was a cyst and not an ovarian tumour as had been suspected. Up until about 2 weeks after I felt quite good and my mood was good. Then i think everything hit me and I kept bursting into floods of tears and I ached all over and my skin was hypersensitive to anything that touched it. A lovely GP told me I had post traumatic stress disorder. I also lost a huge amount of muscle mass and strength.

I am still on an emotional roller coaster seven years later. The GP with whom I am registered is a waste of space. I tried to speak to him once about feeling very down and he just shouted at me and told me I'd need to make another appointment (I refuse to ever see him again). I could have been someone who was feeling suicidal. I think I have finally accepted that I'm diabetic but I feel guilty. I feel inadequate. I don't participate in certain activities with friends. I like to be in control (I'm a bit O.C.D) and feel guilty when I get a blood glucose reading which I consider is unacceptable. My control is very tight (at my last diabetic clinic visit the consultant said she was a little concerned my control was too tight). I don't imagine after this time I will ever feel any different. Sometimes I think I'm just passing time till I die. I struggle with planning for the future (such as holidays) as I wonder whether I'll still be fit to work so will I be able to afford the holiday, or will I still be around.

Last edited by a moderator:

type1forever

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi foxy dent sounds like u really been through it. I too am ti for 7 yrs I had gestational at first but my pancreas died on me too
it's very hard and we can easily scare ourself with what ifs, I have struggled coming to terms with it too. I was hospitalised twice until I broke down and asked for help. They s3nt me on DAPHNE. IT SAVED MY LIFE. Google it of your gp **** it helps with everything x
try to stay positive and maybe don't be so hard on yourself x I always high like 17 and up its a daily challenge but we can not let it beat us xxx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello Foxy,

Big hug, sounds like you need it. Tight control and being concerned, how ridiculous, you should be commended for tight control, this is what we are always being told we should do, to achieve this for me would be nirvana in my control. Please try not to worry about the future though try to enjoy living in the present, being diabetic and thinking about the future isn't a good way to live your life and it sounds like it's getting you down, make plans today and do stuff today. I've been diagnosed about 4 years now, been on my own personal roller coaster, I have my own coping strategies for this, one is to be more compassionate to others, diverts my thinking if you know what I mean, I also do charity stuff so doing a tesco diabetes fund raiser in a couple of weeks, planning my next JDRF challenge, now started keeping bees.

What I'm getting at is give yourself some small challenges you can accomplish that help you feel better. You can always work and holidays will happen, live in the present and you will a lot better, you have done brilliantly so far so don't let anyone get you down ;)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with T1 in my late 40's (fortunately I was with my family). If I'd been on my own I'd probably be dead. I thought I had a cold. My mum insisted I see a doctor. I was sent to A+E as I was dehydrated. Almost immediately on reaching A+E I became desperately thirsty and developed shortness of breath. Initially I was told I was hyperventilating but I was suffering from ketoacidosis. I had an abdominal CT scan (I'm sure not looking for gallstones as I was told). i'm sure they were looking to see if I had a pancreatic tumour (my pancreas had atrophied to about the size of a walnut). However the scan showed I had a lesion on one of my ovaries. Six weeks after being diagnosed with T1 I had a hysterectomy and removal of my ovaries. Fortunately the lesion was a cyst and not an ovarian tumour as had been suspected. Up until about 2 weeks after I felt quite good and my mood was good. Then i think everything hit me and I kept bursting into floods of tears and I ached all over and my skin was hypersensitive to anything that touched it. A lovely GP told me I had post traumatic stress disorder. I also lost a huge amount of muscle mass and strength.

I am still on an emotional roller coaster seven years later. The GP with whom I am registered is a waste of space. I tried to speak to him once about feeling very down and he just shouted at me and told me I'd need to make another appointment (I refuse to ever see him again). I could have been someone who was feeling suicidal. I think I have finally accepted that I'm diabetic but I feel guilty. I feel inadequate. I don't participate in certain activities with friends. I like to be in control (I'm a bit O.C.D) and feel guilty when I get a blood glucose reading which I consider is unacceptable. My control is very tight (at my last diabetic clinic visit the consultant said she was a little concerned my control was too tight). I don't imagine after this time I will ever feel any different. Sometimes I think I'm just passing time till I die. I struggle with planning for the future (such as holidays) as I wonder whether I'll still be fit to work so will I be able to afford the holiday, or will I still be around.
Forget your GP, talk to your endocrinologist about ALL this. He/she is trained precisely in the hormone system and its effects. And your depression etc is probably linked not only to your diabetes but also to the removal of your ovaries. It sounds like a sudden onset of menopause. Your endo should be able to help you with that.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@FrankieAngels I wouldn't worry. I frequently have these ups and downs you speak of. I've had T1D for 17 years and I still struggle to stay positive with if.

Try to not let it get you down. There isn't a normal day with diabetes, but you'll learn to overcome your ups and downs.

If it does get too much, then see your GP and seek help.

Keep your chin up, Scott.

FrankieAngels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the amazing responses from everyone. Sorry I haven't been on much as I've been very busy with work. Looks like I just need to roll with some of these punches and hope my wife and kids can understand!