Chocolate???

DannyB

Of all the foods I miss (and there are so many) it is chocolate I miss the most.

I allow myself the occasional luxury of:

- party size aero (5g carbs)
- party size choc button (8g carb)

What about the so-called zero carb chocolates I have seen advertised. Am I correct in thinking that these are little more than tasty laxatives?

Any other good chocolate suggestions?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Never heard of 0 carb choclate. Where did you see it?
I buy Dark chocolate from LIDL, 33% carb.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to buy a lot of that super-lo-carb chocolate when I first started lo-carbing. I found that they are quite easy to cut out if you just eat some fruit when you crave the chocolate. Strawberries, blackberries and raspberries are great for a sweet tooth. I used to mix 'em in with some full-fat greek yoghurt and add some sweetener. Bl00dy lovely!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Danny,
Have you seen what these low-carb chocolates are sweetened with - either maltitol or fructose. Maltitol is a laxative and fructose is responsible for producing triglycerides and fatty acids in the liver. Its the triglycerides that cause coronary heart disease.

But don't let me put you off !!!

DannyB

Dennis said:
Hi Danny,
Have you seen what these low-carb chocolates are sweetened with - either maltitol or fructose. Maltitol is a laxative and fructose is responsible for producing triglycerides and fatty acids in the liver. Its the triglycerides that cause coronary heart disease.

But don't let me put you off !!!

Yes I had noticed that - I think I will be giving them a wide berth :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
if i really crave choccies which isnt very often, i used to have diabetic choc but due to it having loads of sugars anyway i looked around, i now have either an after eight choc sweet in the pack what used to be mintoes, or a matchstick mint choccie,they are both about 3g carb, only thing is its getting hard to just have 1 lol, i make the kids hide them :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Guys! Guys!
A lot depends on how often and how much
A little bit of Maltitol sweetened chocolate just once in a while won't give you diarrhoea and the same of fructose won't give you a heart attack.

Trinkwasser

Co-Op Fairtrade or Green & Black's 85% chocolate

17 = 19g carbs per 100g bar so a square or two is only one or two grams

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Absolutely. That's what I go for. The highest percentage of cocoa solids you can find. And then only have one or two squares at a time. If you can make a bar last for a week you'll be eating chocolate with very low carbs, without having to do the artificial sweetener tango.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Lidle do a high cocao solids chocolate that is 33% carb and very smooth. Has a lovely intense flavour and doesn't cost too much. 1 square isn't much carb

whatashock

The green and blacks is quite expensive, but I am getting used to it, although I will go into the co-op to have a look.

If I eat half a bar of G & B, that is only 10g of carbs. so as I 'medium carber' this is pleasure, and not a lot of carbs (in my mind!!)

Trinkwasser

whatashock said:
The green and blacks is quite expensive, but I am getting used to it, although I will go into the co-op to have a look.

You lucked out, the Co-Op were selling bars for £1 instead of £1.26, the offer just ended here :(

They are similar in carb level but significantly different flavours to the G&B

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I think I have found the (non laxative version) chocolate answer! Organic natural chocolate (get it from the health food store) made with organic cacao and agave nectar to sweeten, only 14.6 g cho per 50 g bar, is very rich so half a bar should be enough at only 7.3 g cho. It is expensive at £1.99 per 50 g bar but hopefully that will mean I won't eat it all in one sitting and I'll make it last. :)
There is so much added ingredients in the laxative atkins style ones, good to know that there is another option.

Blackadder

Lindt do a huge range...

The 90% is the best with 15g of carbs per 100g but they also do a 99% but the only time I got some of this it was foreign and I couldn't read the details of how many carbs. Oh and by the way 100g is the whole big bar so thats 15g for the whole bar. It's quite nice too and tastes better than green and blacks in my opinion.

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a chocoholic and craving for chocolate most of the day not having it is really really hard.
Personally, so long as I have been extremely strict with my eating and my levels are good, I allow myself a freddo (a mini cadbury bar in the shape of a frog) on a sunday but only if my levels are good. If not, I end up not having it which as a confirmed addict, is awful.
I seriously think it is a question of portion size. Allowing a small piece once a week is like a blooming godsend!

cata

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been eating so-called Diabetic chocolate, sweetened with Maltitol, but found that some real chocolates have less carbs than those with artificial sweeteners. Especially good is the dark Lindt chocolate with 85% cocoa: the entire 100g bar has only 19 carbs! And it has a very full and creamy taste. Also good is the chocolate sweetened with Xylitol which is available from health food stores. The one with raps seeds has even received a price for exceptional food products. And Xylitol seems to the the sweetener that some say is even beneficial for one's health.

Delightfuldan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Wet misty weather
Well THIRSTY, didn't like your video very much about chocolate, but it just shows what chocolate can do. I love chocolate and it has been very hard not to eat it, I am diabetic 2, however, a bar of black chocolate 80%, just one or two cubes twice a week, hasn't harmed me at all. Let's face it, when something is forbidden we yearn for it, when we know we can eat it, it is no longer forbidden.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have tesco plain chocolate with whole nut 4 squares is 7.8g carb or Lindt 80% cocoa chocolate.

If you need a choccy fix there is a guy who does no sugar chocolate which is pure 100% Venezuelan, the chocolate comes in a block and cost £7 a block but you can make the best cakes with it and fillings too with no calorie sugar. You can buy this from Selfridge's and it lasts months, a little goes a very long way.

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/willies-wonky-chocolate-factory/index.html