Lucozade

marjomatt

How many people use Lucozade as their drink of choice for treating hypos?

I ask because our local hospitals do not sell it because fizzy drinks are unhealthy (they still sell chocolate though!) but our patient group wants to have it reintroduced.

All comments welcome!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Me. :D

I have used Lucozade whenever I have had or been close to a Hypo. Tastes nice and is very quick acting.

I think you should approach the Hospital Manager with your complaint and let him/her know that a Diabetic would appreciate the choice. Mind you a Coke or other high sugar drink will do just as well.

Ken.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Always our 1st choice for treating hypos, well stocked cupboard and always give the school plenty. Except for when were out and about and then its lucozade tabs. On a resent appointment at the hospital Andrew went hypo and i had nothing on me, childrens ward didn't have anything (except hypo stop, which he won't use) so i had to run through the corridors to the shop where they had a huge range of fizzy full sugar drinks and only one choice of diet, Isn't it amazing how hospitals differ.
Suzi x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i used to use lucozade before i found gluco tabs which are easier to carry around, lucozade does the job as long as u dont drink too much :D

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Lucozade, especially the berry flavour. As Cugila says, any sweet drink will do, but with so many variations on the main brands (zero as well as diet, caffeine free etc) these days you could accidentially pick up a diet version in an emergency. Whereas Lucozade is easily recognisable and all flavours have the same amout of carbs.

Small cartons of pure fruit juice might be a good compromise as long as the shop doesn't sell similar-looking cartons of no added sugar squash.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I carry glucose tablets when I'm out and about but have a 380ml bottle of lucazade at home. I have needed it twice I believe it works so well because it is made with 28% glucose syrup...I have discovered that 200ml seems to do the job for me. Don't know if a similar amount would be ideal for anyone else though.

philg

I have lucozade in my car, in my office, in my fishingbag everywhere :D . I carry glucose tablets when I am out walking and if I my bg goes low when I happen to be near a pub real ale is great for solving the problem :p :p :p

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
I love lucozade. Tastes great. Used to get it every day as a kid now it saves peoples lives. Cool.

D.

RebeccaSmith

I can't use lucozade as an effective hypo stopper. It's far to sugary, I always drink too much of it because I never know exactly how much to drink and I hate wasting 3/4 of the bottle. I find lucozade tablets much more effective and efficient. 3 tablets for a hypo, no more and away I go - they're also not heavy, fit in your pocket and you don't have to waste any of it because the rest of the pack can be consumed another time. It's good stuff.

inwales

RebeccaSmith said:
I can't use lucozade as an effective hypo stopper. It's far to sugary, I always drink too much of it because I never know exactly how much to drink and I hate wasting 3/4 of the bottle. I find lucozade tablets much more effective and efficient. 3 tablets for a hypo, no more and away I go - they're also not heavy, fit in your pocket and you don't have to waste any of it because the rest of the pack can be consumed another time. It's good stuff.

Could hold a Hypo party, so a bottle can be shared! :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 husband uses Lucozade, he says he hates glucotabs, even though they are more convenient and controlable

marjomatt

Thank for all these comments folks (more welcome!) and it is interesting to see the differences in opinion - although Cugita, there isn't the option of ANY fizzy drinks in the hospital shop!

Personally, I also find Glucotabs more convenient, but think it is all about choice ....

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi majormutt.

The drinks don't have to be fizzy ? Any high sugar content drink will do. Like I said, get your patient group to make representations to the Hospital or Shop management. Direct action ususally works.

Most Diabetic's I know carry around the Glucotabs and Glucogel (Hypostop) so shouldn't really have a problem if they are well prepared. That's what I do. :D

Ken.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I always use the tabs because you know what your getting. 4mmol each tab. :twisted: :twisted:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
It's actually not mmol/l Graham.

You get 4g of Glucose in each tab, about 3 should have a rapid effect on a Hypo.

There are also 4g carbs in one tab. See product information:
http://www.glucotabs.com/

Ken.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Tablets are convenient, but liquid works quicker and it's probably better if it's not fizzy like Lucozade. There are all manner of still, disgustingly sweet drinks on the market, and fortunately most seem to have carb information on the side so you exactly how much you're taking. But make sure you get the sugared variety, sometimes the "no added sugar" versions aren't labelled clearly at all, and they're no use whatsoever to treat a hypo!

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Sorry i knew what i ment just didnt put that down, I blame the heat.lol,
Graham1441 :twisted: :twisted:

Marky74

i use lucozade before i go to the gym keep some in my gym bag. I keep dextrose in my testing kit. And glcotabs everywhere else. I like varity :)