Metformin and Weight Loss or Not

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

I've been on Metformin for about a month now and just reached the 2000mg per day.

I have read that not everyone loses weight on it but just wondered how many actually did and how many didn't.

I was almost 17 stone when I started and I known that I am losing a bit. Mind you, I am dieting and exercising too so this is gonna be helping.

Shazzie xx

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is a medication to help control your glucose levels, which may also help to suppress your appetite. But it isn't a weight loss tablet, so there's no actual guarantee that you'll lose (more) weight when taking it.

Just keep up with your exercise and diet, and maybe look at our low carbs diet section.

Robbity

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Robbity. I only asked because my GP knows that I have lost 3 stone over the past couple of years and she mentioned about the extra help it may give me for weight loss along with helping my Diabetes. Fingers crossed eh?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Metformin is a medication to help control your glucose levels, which may also help to suppress your appetite. But it isn't a weight loss tablet, so there's no actual guarantee that you'll lose (more) weight when taking it.

Just keep up with your exercise and diet, and maybe look at our low carbs diet section.

Robbity
Actually, endocrinologists seem to be increasingly prescribing it off-label to type 1 diabetics with (I forget the posh, medical term for it but) fat on the belly region. My endo keeps suggesting it. I refuse because my BMI is normal, I am post-menopause, so my tiny spare tyre is normal, and I prefer to do things the hard way. But apparently, quite a few endocrinologists think it does work as a "diet aid" for type 1s.

From what I've read, it "locks away" some of the glucose in your blood so it cannot be used to form fat. However, it means the glucose also cannot be used to fuel exercise, and that's why I refused it.

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ruth.

Talk about suppress your appetite. Mine has been non existent since starting on the high dose. I also feel a bit nauseous which helps with slowing down the eating. I really have to make myself eat a small amount. I have MS and take meds for that which I have to take with food. I will be interested to see if my glucose has gone down.

Thanks for your replies.

Shazzie xx