First eye screening

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first eye screening photo shoot today :)
The nurse was great, diabetic as well (she said don't eat bread ;) and enjoyed putting the drops in!)
She showed me the pics and said there's a little bulge in both sides but keep your sugar levels low and they'll dissipate, can't say more than she put me at ease, was very knowledgeable and obviously has first hand experience.
I met a couple of other club members and had a chat with them, a woman in her 40s who is in limbo diagnosis wise..coeliac and tyoe2 or 1 they're not sure yet (poor woman) and a lovely chap who is 70 and 'not bothered, if I want chocolate I'll have chocolate ' :D
My pupils are still the size of saucers and I'm typing this on an iPod so any spelling errors are copyrighted to me :D
Hope everyone is having a great day, anyone who is due their first eye screening soon...don't worry!! It's a little stingy for a couple of seconds and that's it...oh, and take sunglasses 'cos you'll see the world in a whole new light when you go out :D and really, really don't try and drive after!

Reactions: 6 people

Ski fit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Am going for my second eye test at the hospital in June, was told last year that I had some damage already to my retinas, is this normal? Am t2 and on insulin, pancreatic problems all my life but diabetic since January 2012.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I had my first retinopathy test on Tuesday but I didn't get drops put in my eyes. Two photos were taken and they will be sent to the local eye hospital. I'll get the results in a week or two.

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Ski fit, my nurse told me that the first letter will say there is some abnormality but to ignore it, keep my sugars under control and see you next year, I can't really comment on your case...if you have any worries then ask your nurse or GP

@WeeFergus...lucky you :D I asked if it could be done without the drops..her reply was a chuckle and look at the ceiling :D

Reactions: 2 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am going for my second eye test at the hospital in June, was told last year that I had some damage already to my retinas, is this normal? Am t2 and on insulin, pancreatic problems all my life but diabetic since January 2012.
I think quite a lot of people have reported similar stories.

I had my first scan in December and the guy doing it told me that if they had any concerns (even if they were slight) I'd be called back for another scan in six months, otherwise it would be a year, which is standard.

When the letter arrived from the clinic, it said that I had signs of "slight background retinopathy" but that if I kept my levels and blood pressure under control it should be containable. The letter then said "see you in 12 months time", so I guess they aren't too concerned. It'll be interesting to see how it goes next December.....

This is hearsay, but Mrs hay-char has a friend who is a GP and is also T2, who told her that it's common for a first retinal scan after diagnosis to show a bit of retinopathy but that with good management, things can/should improve.

Reactions: 5 people

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
I think quite a lot of people have reported similar stories.

I had my first scan in December and the guy doing it told me that if they had any concerns (even if they were slight) I'd be called back for another scan in six months, otherwise it would be a year, which is standard.

When the letter arrived from the clinic, it said that I had signs of "slight background retinopathy" but that if I kept my levels and blood pressure under control it should be containable. The letter then said "see you in 12 months time", so I guess they aren't too concerned. It'll be interesting to see how it goes next December.....

This is hearsay, but Mrs hay-char has a friend who is a GP and is also T2, who told her that it's common for a first retinal scan after diagnosis to show a bit of retinopathy but that with good management, things can/should improve.

Aye, lots of folk get background retinopathy- seriously, don't worry, just keep the sugars under control and all should be well.

Even if the retinopathy does go further, they can and will treat it- I've had a fair few sessions now of laser treatment in both eyes and my central vision at least remains OK. I LOVE modern technology- even a few decades back I'd have been blind already, so frankly I will sing the praises of the NHS to all who will listen!

Anyway, moral of the tale: don't worry- even at worst, you will be looked after.

Reactions: 4 people

Ski fit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Aye, lots of folk get background retinopathy- seriously, don't worry, just keep the sugars under control and all should be well.

Even if the retinopathy does go further, they can and will treat it- I've had a fair few sessions now of laser treatment in both eyes and my central vision at least remains OK. I LOVE modern technology- even a few decades back I'd have been blind already, so frankly I will sing the praises of the NHS to all who will listen!

Anyway, moral of the tale: don't worry- even at worst, you will be looked after.
Hey Mark, couldn't agree more re:nhs, they've always looked after me and relatives as and when, no complaints whatsoever there.

Also glad to hear it seems to be fairly standard that all of us suffer a bit of retinopathy. I guess this occurred prior to being diagnosed with diabetes when bg levels were high?

A very good reason to keep the levels under control, we think we've got problems, I wouldn't want to be blind.

shelts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my first letter, and yep, it said, some background retinopathy caused by diabetes; see you in 12 months.

Seems like it is a standard response to keep you interested. :)

Kaybee64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my first post. Newly diagnosed in Feb 2015 as type 1 and an 'older' lady! Still coming to terms with everything and some days definitely better than others!
Thank you for the info regarding the eye screening. I have my first screening tomorrow and have been worried. This has put my mind at rest a bit!

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there, welcome aboard :) glad you feel a bit better about the screening now, it's really not too much to endure...definitely take sunglasses with you, even if it's cloudy outside, the drops dilate your pupils so obviously you are letting in lots of light so the dark glasses make it easier on your eyes.
Just take each day as it comes, I can't really offer any advice on type 1 but if you have any questions then just ask!! Someone will answer:)

Kaybee64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your kind words. I'm amazed at how much info is on here. Will definitely be dipping in and out for help and advice.

Kaybee64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eye test over - nowhere near as bad as I was first expecting but that's probably the pessimist in me! First indications are that all seemed ok - letter to follow. Vision blurred as I type so hope no major typos!! Thanks again

Reactions: 3 people

minniemoo

Just for info that might help someone. I was only diagnosed with diabetes because a couple of years ago I was at the eye clinic in hospital being investigated for cloudy vision which turned out to be cataracts & I asked the nurse why I had got cataracts so young (I was 45). She said I should get tested for diabetes by my GP cos this was a possible cause. Got tested a week later and turned out I was Type 2.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics
I was diagnosed January this year, I have't had a screening yet, do diabetes clinic do it or optician or gp? Also how long after diagnosis should it be done?

Many thanks x

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was done at the local surgery, you should get a letter from the local diabetes team inviting you to the screening, mine was about 3 months (nearly) after diagnosis...I don't know if there is a time frame as such.

Kaybee64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mine at the Diabetes Eye Screening Service at one of my local hospitals today; I was diagnosed Type 1 on 12th Feb this year. I'm based in South East London.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I got a list of choices, one of which was my local optician, that made things easier as I could walk there.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics
I got a list of choices, one of which was my local optician, that made things easier as I could walk there.

well thats handy as im due a new pair of specs anyway! will ask at docs when i pick up my scrip tomorrow, thanks guys, sorry for hijacking the thread op! xx