New to the forum.

delia57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been on Metform now for 5 years and I have always been told not to test my sugar levels myself.....From day one I have felt really bad and it never seems to get any better...My readings are normally around the 8.5 mark (I am checked every 3 months) and my doctors are not happy with it I am also on other medication and now on the limit. My biggest problem is all the side effects which I get, the diarrhoea is the main problem as this has ruined my life and limits me from going out, I can only go to places that I know have toilets. another side effect is feeling very hungry which I am all the time. When I was first diagnosed with type 2 years ago I was not overweight but felt so tired and lifeless most of the time, now I am 5 stone heavier and feel terrible. My doctor was no help to me and I felt as though I was just taking up his time. I have recently moved house and registered with a new doctor. I just hope they can help me as I am feeling really fed up now.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @delia57 and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your post so that you can get some help.

I hope your new Doctor listens to your concerns about Metformin as it does not suit everybody.

I will tag @daisy1 to provide you with a basic guide, it will help you with food choices and will also say that it would be good idea to keep a food diary and purchase a tester so that you know which foods are affecting your blood sugars. This one is popular for Type2s as it is not too expensive.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

People here can suggest what to eat but eating to your meter will give you the evidence of what is right for you rather than what is right for them. Some people find they have to eat a minimal amount of carbohydrates whereas others can eat more. There is no blueprint for a suitable diet for all of us.

Read around the different boards and ask as many questions as you need to.

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@delia57

Hello Delia and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful, and particularly with regard to diet and carbohydrates. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin did not suit me so I asked the doc to give me sr version which is a slow release version

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. It might be worth looking at your diet to see whether there are any changes which would help you. Loads of people on here follow a low carb diet and have seen some fantastic results.

I'm still new as only recently dignosed, but I am trying to cut my carbs wherever I can, and am currently watching my calorie in take to try and reduce my weight a bit, and take control of my condition. Trying to look at this as the start of a new me.

There is some fab advice and support on the site along with recipe ideas which all help towards enjoying new things rather than focusing on the stuff I used to enjoy.

Have a good look around the forum pages, and ask as many questions as you like - I've found everyone really friendly and helpful.

Hopefully your new GP will provide a better experience. Good luck, and remember you aren't alone in this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you are not yet on the SR version of Metformin do insist on it. If your previous GP didn't put you on this after your continued bowel problems he/she outght to be ashamed of themselves. If even Metformin SR doesn't resolve the problem I would discuss stopping it with the GP. It doesn't make a big difference to blood sugar and a low-carb diet is much more important.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
Lots of good advice here,and diet realy does work.
Look round the forum.

delia57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@delia57

Hello Delia and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful, and particularly with regard to diet and carbohydrates. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

delia57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome. If you are not yet on the SR version of Metformin do insist on it. If your previous GP didn't put you on this after your continued bowel problems he/she outght to be ashamed of themselves. If even Metformin SR doesn't resolve the problem I would discuss stopping it with the GP. It doesn't make a big difference to blood sugar and a low-carb diet is much more important.
Hi, Yes 5 years of Diarrhoea is getting me down but no-one has been listening to me, I am also concerned that it must not be doing my bowel any good....I am going to change my diet to a low carb diet....but could do with some help on what to eat and what not to eat ...so any help would be apreciated :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I agree with @Daibell about the metformin. If you're going low-carb you'll be eating more fat so eggs are a wonderfood for you I should think. Have a look at the low-carb diet forum.