Question around energy supplement

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the weekends I paddle a kayak, often 8 miles. Recently I have found this much harder going. My questions are when fellow paddlers pull out their cereal bars and chocolate bars what suggestions do you have about a quick boost? I have been using peanuts and cheese to date. Secondly why am I finding it increasingly harder, laziness, growing older or diet deficiency. Been low carbing for over a year. Thanks all.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi
Just a thought, are you eating enough fat and salt in your Low Card diet ?

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was worried my salt was a little too high if anything. I have used peanuts to regulate my weight and unfortunately in the main they are salted too. I was wondering if I'm using energy and stamina up at a sustained rate whether increasing carb intake was a consideration, but I don't want to increase carb intake if I don't have to.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Try upping your fat intake. Coconut oil, butter , double cream, mayonnaise etc. Maybe eating more meat or cheese, but with the extra protein this might increase your BG levels, whilst the others won't.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you browsed the fitness, exercise &sport section? Someone like @NoCrbs4Me may be able to help.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks IanDp,
Maybe I need a better breakfast.
Any ideas about a quick boost alternative that's pocket sized. I often have a big Greek yoghurt before leave but a couple of hours in I need something easily grabbed and consumed from a pocket.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9 bar? Has some carbs (10-15g depending on flavour and size) but given how much exercise you're doing it should be ok. Mostly seeds so good for fats especially omega 3.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Alzebra they sound ideal. I note they have sugar though ?
Yeah, they have sugar and honey I think, but small amounts mixed with lots of healthy ingredients. I tested with my meter and found they were OK after exercise. Would it be worth getting one to test?

Reactions: 2 people

CantThinkOfAUsername

Coconut oil would be your best bet IMO. It's used by sports professionals due to it's quick energy availability. It is quickly digested and does not need to get to the colon which would delay it's availability. No carbs at all just a high energy source.

You just need to find a way of making it easier to consume because at low temperatures it is solid and it beings to soften around 20C becoming liquid at about 25C. Cooking something and including a good quantity of coconut oil would probably solve this.

Keep your B vitamin levels stocked up as that should help your energy levels.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can get your magnesium levels tested Mine was border line and I take a supplement and my energy levels are much better
CAROL