FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've an interesting observation on this sensor. As I've mentioned, it has been running quite a long way from good, however, I was suspicious that this might be due to a reaction. Over the last couple of days, I've been taking anti-histamines for hay fever, and have discovered that during the 5-7 hours post taking them, the sensor accuracy realigns with that of the fingerprick tests. They then seem to go their separate ways.

So for me, at least, it seems that the sensor reaction is ameliorated by the use of Anti-Histamines. I'm looking forward (sort of) to getting the replacement and taking this one off to see what remains of my arm underneath...
How long left on your sensor tim? Do you take any time off between sensors?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This one has eight days left. I had a non-imposed 7 day gap this time due to issues with the Abbott payment system.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I recognised your name, emmotha. I was searching through Instagram for low carb recipes and ended up looking at your chicken and mushroom stir fry haha

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I recognised your name, emmotha. I was searching through Instagram for low carb recipes and ended up looking at your chicken and mushroom stir fry haha
Omg that was such a good stir fry

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What are Abbott using to keep these sensors stuck - industrial superglue???

I've just removed a sensor on its final day. It was flat lining on LO since the early hours and was due to come off this evening, so I thought I'd take it off early.

I had put it on over a cuttable duoderm hydrocolloid plaster with a small hole for the sensor probe. There has been no itching and no soreness. The sensor stayed stuck firmly to the plaster throughout and the plaster stayed stuck firmly to my skin until it started lifting a bit on Thursday evening and I stuck a piece of OpSite over it. All good.

I had cut the plaster into a circle the size of the sensor applicator to make sure I got the probe in the right place, and the Opsite was a bit bigger than that so it overlapped all round.

As I took the whole lot off earlier, it left a perfect red mark in the exact shape and size of the bloody sensor. ***??? The sensor adhesive didn't touch my skin at all for the whole fortnight. There is no mark or redness around the probe where I had cut the plaster - so it's not that causing it. There is no redness or irritation on the area beyond the sensor where the plaster covered for a fortnight and there is no irritation or redness where the OpSite had been. So, somehow, the bloody Abbott adhesive has irritated my skin through the duoderm plaster even though it never touched my skin. How is this even possible?

The irritation is not as bad as usual, but it is certainly still there and I certainly saw a largish piece of skin pull away from under the sensor site as I lifted the duoderm. If covering the area completely hasn't stopped it, I don't think anything will.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've just removed a sensor on its final day. It was flat lining on LO since the early hours and was due to come off this evening, so I thought I'd take it off early.

I had put it on over a cuttable duoderm hydrocolloid plaster with a small hole for the sensor probe. There has been no itching and no soreness. The sensor stayed stuck firmly to the plaster throughout and the plaster stayed stuck firmly to my skin until it started lifting a bit on Thursday evening and I stuck a piece of OpSite over it. All good.

I had cut the plaster into a circle the size of the sensor applicator to make sure I got the probe in the right place, and the Opsite was a bit bigger than that so it overlapped all round.

As I took the whole lot off earlier, it left a perfect red mark in the exact shape and size of the bloody sensor. ***??? The sensor adhesive didn't touch my skin at all for the whole fortnight. There is no mark or redness around the probe where I had cut the plaster - so it's not that causing it. There is no redness or irritation on the area beyond the sensor where the plaster covered for a fortnight and there is no irritation or redness where the OpSite had been. So, somehow, the bloody Abbott adhesive has irritated my skin through the duoderm plaster even though it never touched my skin. How is this even possible?

The irritation is not as bad as usual, but it is certainly still there and I certainly saw a largish piece of skin pull away from under the sensor site as I lifted the duoderm. If covering the area completely hasn't stopped it, I don't think anything will.

Smidge
That's just weird. Could it have been caused by the impact of applying the sensor?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's possible that wearing the same duoderm plaster for two weeks is what caused the redness?

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Smidge

When I tried the slightly thinner dressings under the sensor - comfeel and duoderm - I reacted through them. Compeed has been the only thing that has rescued me so far.

Reactions: 4 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone that has been on the Libre from when it first came out finger prick anymore?
I think I have finger pricked only twice in the last 2 months!!
My HBA1C is the lowest its ever been. I have hardly had a hypo. My highs get to about 12 maximum so i guess there is no need to finger prick. The Libre is definately the best invention ever and its about time that it becomes available on the NHS.
Has anyone heard anymore news on the super insulin that is coming out?

obates

No @misswhiplash please don't tell me that..did you swim a lot or something?

Is there connection between swimming and skin reaction???

Its just im on my 5th sensor now a few days in.. on my prev one i went swimming a coupke of times and when took it off my skin was a bit red. No itching or peeling skin off. So i put new one on and went swimming yesterday. I covered sensor with opsite to prevent contact with water anf chlorine. Took opsite off afterwards as didnt like it on my skin and in the morning today strange circles appeared on my thinghs were i place the sensor... so im wondering if its connected to swimming... maybe i had a reaction to the opsite... or maybe its the start of skin reaction to the libre sensor. The red marks have now gone off my skin btw. I will have to wait until sensor replacing day to see whats going on underneath but am a bit suspicious about swimming....

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I tried the slightly thinner dressings under the sensor - comfeel and duoderm - I reacted through them. Compeed has been the only thing that has rescued me so far.
Do you fire straight through the Compeed or cut out a hole in the middle? I've read conflicting reviews of what to do.

My current sensor is starting to peel away at the edges so I had a quick look under before putting Opsite over the top. The skin underneath looks absolutely red raw :( Fingers crossed the Compeed works for me on my next one

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone that has been on the Libre from when it first came out finger prick anymore?
I think I have finger pricked only twice in the last 2 months!!
My HBA1C is the lowest its ever been. I have hardly had a hypo. My highs get to about 12 maximum so i guess there is no need to finger prick. The Libre is definately the best invention ever and its about time that it becomes available on the NHS.
Has anyone heard anymore news on the super insulin that is coming out?
I still finger prick at least once a day to check the Libre is working correctly ... I don't completely trust it is as I've had some past issues with accuracy. Having said that, lately it's been spot on and I agree that it's a great innovation ... definitely wouldn't want to be without it.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Smidge
Oh no, what a nightmare! Have you tried Compeed? That's what I'm trying for my next one. I've not used anything before so hopefully it will help. I must say that Eumovate has worked wonders in clearing my existing red marks (although I appreciate the skin thinning side effects are slightly worrying and certainly won't want to use it long term).

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you fire straight through the Compeed or cut out a hole in the middle? I've read conflicting reviews of what to do.

My current sensor is starting to peel away at the edges so I had a quick look under before putting Opsite over the top. The skin underneath looks absolutely red raw :( Fingers crossed the Compeed works for me on my next one

I fire through. It's a bit scary, though.

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any tips?! Has it ever failed?
I have tried putting a hole in the middle of the compeed but then got an itchy irritation through the hole. I successfully put one sensor through the compeed and this worked fine with no irritation. However, 2 further attempts with 2 other sensors failed to go through the compeed resulting in useless sensors.

So basically its a gamble, make a hole in the compeed and you risk irriitation, try and fire straight through the compeed and you risk the sensor not getting into your skin.

As I previously posted, this is what has put an end to my use of the Freestyle system.:(

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@robert72 - it is really weird, but I think you might be partially right about the force of applying the sensor. I'm wondering if it is because the sensor presses the adhesive so tightly against my skin that the skin actually peels away - and even putting the duoderm plaster under it doesn't stop it becaue the sensor holds the duoderm adhesive so tightly to the skin. Don't know, but it's the only thing I can think.

@tim2000s - it is definitely the sensor and not the duoderm that is the problem. The mark and damaged skin is the exact shape and size of the sensor - the duoderm I used was at least 2cm wider in diameter than that and has left no extended mark - just the exact bit under the sensor - even the little hole I cut for the probe is normal skin colour - it didn't come into contact with the Libre adhesive at all because the sensor is just plastic in that part. It is bloody weird!

@misswhiplash and @pinewood - I was trying to avoid a compeed, because I think I have a slight reaction to those too if I leave them on too long - not really sure, but I thought I saw a slight red outline from the last one I had on for a week - maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm not sure wearing one for two weeks would work for me.

@Andy_P - I'm trying Cavillon under the duoderm this time. Who knows?! I certainly don't have the reaction to the little hole I cut for the probe to go in though - that bit is like an oasis of white skin in a big red inflamed circle!

Smidge

obates

I have a question to those of you who have skin reaction. Does it appear only under sensor placement area? Or have you had it anywhere else on your skin?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a question to those of you who have skin reaction. Does it appear only under sensor placement area? Or have you had it anywhere else on your skin?
Mine appears only under the location where the adhesive has been stuck. Therefore, for me, I'm pretty sure it's a reaction to the glue.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here... exactly sensor shaped, sadly earlier & earlier and more viciously with each sensor. Have stopped using & returned to finger pricking.

As I would have for anything that would cause a reaction as bad.