What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Oopsies & cheddar
L: Coconut yogurt with milled flax seeds & nuts
D: will be chicken in parma ham with asparagus, strawberries and cream

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too hating fish for 50 years.. But now eating it for for over 1/2 my meals. And mackeral too although hubby has to flake it over my salad so it doesn't still look like a fish!!
I can't cook anything that still looks like an animal.. I think fish was bad for me as my dad used to send me out target towing on tugboats when I was a child and the chaps on the tugboats would haul up loads of fish still alive and gasping for air and my dad had some dort of boiler outside for boiling lobster and crab alive if I recall correctly. Put me off fush for 50 years!

Found by flaking it I can tolerate now and I am old enough to now realise the benefits of fish oils...

It does get less yuchy!!! -lol. (Can't eat tinned ones though, only fresh ones). Can't see how tinned ones with a shelf life of two years can be healthy??
Tinned only for me....can't eat fresh as I have a sensitivity to fish...fresh makes me very ill for days. Tinned salmon tuna and mackerel at a push is about all I can manage. Cod in breadcrumbs of course but can't have that now :(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tinned only for me....can't eat fresh as I have a sensitivity to fish...fresh makes me very ill for days. Tinned salmon tuna and mackerel at a push is about all I can manage. Cod in breadcrumbs of course but can't have that now :(

So what is it that makes the difference between tinned and fresh fish for you?

I just can't fathom out why there there is such a difference... What happens to the fish to make them 1) that you can tolerate tinned fish 2) why such a difference in price between tinned and fresh? 3) wht tinned fish has a shelf life of 2 years and supposedly "fresh" fish doesn't....

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So what is it that makes the difference between tinned and fresh fish for you?

I just can't fathom out why there there is such a difference... What happens to the fish to make them 1) that you can tolerate tinned fish 2) why such a difference in price between tinned and fresh? 3) wht tinned fish has a shelf life of 2 years and supposedly "fresh" fish doesn't....
No idea....I ate fresh Tuna a couple of years ago hoping I had grown out of the sensitivity but I collapsed on the floor an hour or so after eating it...white as a sheet, sweating profusely and nauseous. Took me 3 days to feel better. Roe has the same effect but more so ...I vomit instantly after eating just one mouthful. My brother has the same problem with fresh fish...he can eat tinned but not fresh. I dread to think what they do to it to make it have such a great shelf life

Reactions: 6 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Way too many for this little box, and probably irrelevant
I had fresh tuna steak with salad for dinner last night - yum! I also made a little low carb microwave chocolate cake and had it with lemon yogurt and raspberries. Lovely at the time, but I woke up feeling yuck, and my glucose was 7.1. It only went down to 6.5 after a 4.5 mile walk.
Anyway, roast salmon for dinner tonight with stir fried kale, leeks and a few lardons. No sweet treats today.

Reactions: 8 people

Venta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Way too many for this little box, and probably irrelevant
B: Oopsies & cheddar
L: Coconut yogurt with milled flax seeds & nuts
D: will be chicken in parma ham with asparagus, strawberries and cream

Okay, so I had to Google Oopsies. I now have a recipe which I'll try asap!

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, so I had to Google Oopsies. I now have a recipe which I'll try asap!

My first attempt and I am really pleased with them! They will definitely feature regularly on my menu. Having them daily right now, keeping them in the fridge. I’ll wait until I do the next batch before i experiment with freezing them.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B Whole grain-oats, cinnamon, chia, flax, other seeds, nuts, berries, butter, coconut oil, almond milk, cream.
L1 (picnic) Salad, cheese bread, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes in spiced oil, olives, soft blue cheese. Black coffee.
L2 (home) Boiled egg, cheese bread & butter.
D Leftover fish curry sauce with added mussels, broad beans, kidney beans, green beans, spinach. Will test after 2 hours and sleep with the window open.

Reactions: 14 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just had. Monkfish tail rolled in streaky bacon with a small baked spud and salad :)

Reactions: 13 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: bacon and egg, latte

L: roast beef, one roastie, masses of cauli cheese, cabbage, roast onion and a spoon of peas. Added butter to veg - gotta keep those fats up!

D: coyo

Reactions: 10 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried my first oopsies today. They came out more like very light hotcakes than bread, so they were flatter than expected. Does anyone have any tips for making them more bulky? So, two oopsies, a slice of ham and a little butter. That's about 150 calories and no carbs. Supper tonight is going to be low carb lasagne using courgette strips as the pasta and should be about 550 calories per serving. Will be using a little corn flour to thicken the cheese sauce but this only translates into a few grams of carbs per serving.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Breakfast scrambled eggs
Lunch home baked ham with salad
Tea roast lamb , spring greens , courgettes , cauliflower and one new potato .

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast....coffee
Lunch....Tinned salmon, spinach, tomato, mayo
Dinner...Turkey breast, spinach, tomato and mayo
Raspberries and fromage frais with flax seed and cinnamon

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B Bacon egg and a tomato
Oh, and tea and coffee (sans milk and obviously sugar)

L two small cheddar crackers (1.9 g carb each) with a tasty amount of Brussels pâté

D Steak with cauliflower and broccoli followed by Fage and flaxseed sprinkled with cinnamon

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Gezzabelle the flaxseed and cinnamon with dairy is nice eh? How do you get on with raspberries? I spike on blueberries, seem to be okish with strawberries but for some reason never even thought about raspberries :/

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Yogurt with double cream and ground flax seed and assorted nuts
L: Homemade cream of vegetable soup and 2 oopsies
D: Bangers and mash (cauliflower)

Reactions: 7 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gezzabelle the flaxseed and cinnamon with dairy is nice eh? How do you get on with raspberries? I spike on blueberries, seem to be okish with strawberries but for some reason never even thought about raspberries :/
Yes love the flax seed and cinnamon....I sprinkle a little Splenda over it to sweeten it slightly and don't really have any spike or issue with it...I have about 10 raspberries and no problems so far (touch wood )...they make the meal seem a little more enjoyable somehow...that little bit of flavour and sweetness from the Splenda (the fromage frias is about 4g of carb per 100 g so not too bad) :) I hope to be okay with strawberries as I grow shed loads of them and raspberries too :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream
L: 9 bar
D: blowout meal of mince, onion bhajis, cauli cheese and green beans.

Am stuffed!

Reactions: 9 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Chia seeds coffee cocoa, yog, nuts and straws
L: cold chicken, avocado, toms, garlic, left over beans in tom sauce
D: rib eye, asparagus and avocado salad, home made chocs two.