Being charged for driving license after notification

nettles

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry if this answered somewhere but have searched and cant find. My husband is type 2 and now put on insulin, we completed DVLA notification forms and then returned license as requested. He's now had a letter saying that license will be reissued but as previous one was old paper type (we've had no changes in last 20 years) he has to pay £17 or they wont issue it.

Seems a bit unfair as only reason for change is the diabetes and feels that being penalised, is this correct?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would question it. I seem to remember sending money to pay for a photo license when I was renewing my 3 year license and they refunded it.

No one should be penalised because they use insulin. I think a wee office girl/boy has just automatically made the charge, ignoring the reason for the new license.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, sorry if this answered somewhere but have searched and cant find. My husband is type 2 and now put on insulin, we completed DVLA notification forms and then returned license as requested. He's now had a letter saying that license will be reissued but as previous one was old paper type (we've had no changes in last 20 years) he has to pay £17 or they wont issue it.

Seems a bit unfair as only reason for change is the diabetes and feels that being penalised, is this correct?
Yes it is correct, everyone who changes over to a photo licence has to cough up :( The only time now will be in 10 years time when you have to pay for new photo's.

Here you go https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to change over from a paper one in January last year when diagnosed and put on insulin. No payment necessary.