Brodiebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabeties
Hi,

I thought i would switch lunch to Rice and Chicken. The rice is the 'new' steam-able pouches ( in this case John West) and the chicken is strips of chicken (poundland), but reading everything about Carbs, dont know if i should have stuck to the bread !!!

Rice white Bread (4 slices)
Calories 402 320
Carbs 81.7 63.2
Protein 9.5 9.16
Sugar 2 5.1

So should i go back to bread (swap to wholemeal) and whack some chicken on that instead ??????

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Half the packet, or halve the bread for a start. Chuck some salad at it if you need more filling.

Well more veg would be a good idea in general.

As for the bread most people go for Burgen Soya and Linseed. I did for a while but to be frank it is like eating cardboard after a while. I tend to use Hovis Wholemeal (small loaf).

I don't go for low carb but lower carb is a good idea.

BTW, no expert. Just what i found worked for me.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am I reading that right, you are choosing between 81.7 and 63.2g of carbs. Either would be too many for me for one meal.

For my main evening meal I try and keep it under 50g, for smaller meals, breakfast and lunch I try for between 20 - 30g, and I don't consider myself to be particularly low carb.

Rice can also be a bit of an odd one and effect people differently. For me half a pack of Uncle Bens Express Fried Rice works well, the fat helps slow the spike, and it seems that it is another that the cooling and reheating has changed some of the carbs to resistant ones so not as bad on the BS levels.

Whole grain doesn't seem to make much difference and I am not particularly keen on it so I stick with the white options out of preference.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I thought i would switch lunch to Rice and Chicken. The rice is the 'new' steam-able pouches ( in this case John West) and the chicken is strips of chicken (poundland), but reading everything about Carbs, dont know if i should have stuck to the bread !!!

Rice white Bread (4 slices)
Calories 402 320
Carbs 81.7 63.2
Protein 9.5 9.16
Sugar 2 5.1

So should i go back to bread (swap to wholemeal) and whack some chicken on that instead ??????

Rice and bread really really spike me, so they are a no no in my book.
Start checking with a meter before eating and two hours afterwards, keep a log of what you eat and look for patterns, some things you might be able to do.... others maybe not so much.
Rule of thumb I use, if it has more than 10% carbs it stays on the shelf.
Good luck
Hj

Brodiebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabeties
Ta, cut tdown the portion size to half a bag of the rice per day, doctor also prescribed 80 mg Gilclizade ( or whatever the stuff is called) and BS have dropped so will keep an eye on it. Only issue with new med is 'niggly stomach' hopefully that will settle down in time. Had two days of 'runs' but that has stopped. May have been something else - who knows