Metformin Misery

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I was diagnosed in January and have been poodling along, eating mainly LC and just had a glowing set of HB1ac results back. Not sure of the exact numbers, won't get those until I see my doc next week.

My problem is that, despite being on metformin SR I have dreadful problems with my bowels. It is starting to affect my social life and work life as well.

I still have a fair bit of weight to lose and I hear that other anti-diabetic drugs have a risk of putting on weight. So, if possible, I would like to stay on the metformin.

Does anyone have any tips about keeping the metformin miseries at bay? Any foods it might be sensible to avoid?

Suggestions would be gratefully received :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I've read, many people find the more carbs they eat while taking the metformin, the worse the problem becomes. Have you tried reducing your carb intake? That can also assist with weight loss.

I think also people find the time they take the tablet can help - from memory, after you've started eating. Sorry I can't help more but I was only on metformin briefly and the digestive issues I had with it were not the usual ones.

Hopefully someone will be able to clarify further for you.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi Indy (love the name, btw)

Thinking back over the last few days, I think you may well have a point about the carbs. There have been a few sneak in there when they shouldn't have!

I have to take the metformin three times daily (1500mg per day), I will ask about spreading the dose differently.

Thank you, you have given me food for thought.

Prov

Reactions: 2 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Providence62
I have found that I need to take my metformin after meals to avoid any unpleasant side effects. Also when my sugar levels came down due to the lchf diet I decided to reduce the dose by half. I haven't noticed any rise in bs levels or appetite.
Have you thought about trying Psyllium husk ? I get the capsules from Holland and Barrett, they are quite expensive but its worth every penny for good digestive health.
Here's some info on Psylliium husk http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-psyllium-husk.html
Hope you feel better soon

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
You can get Psyllium husk dirt cheap from a lot of asian shops. It's the same stuff as in Fybogel without the additives/favours. I think I pay about £2 for enough for 3 months or so.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello Providence62
I have found that I need to take my metformin after meals to avoid any unpleasant side effects. Also when my sugar levels came down due to the lchf diet I decided to reduce the dose by half. I haven't noticed any rise in bs levels or appetite.
Have you thought about trying Psyllium husk ? I get the capsules from Holland and Barrett, they are quite expensive but its worth every penny for good digestive health.
Here's some info on Psylliium husk http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-psyllium-husk.html
Hope you feel better soon

That sounds like a really good idea, I have some fybrogel type stuff around the house which is still within its use by date. I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice :)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
You can get Psyllium husk dirt cheap from a lot of asian shops. It's the same stuff as in Fybogel without the additives/favours. I think I pay about £2 for enough for 3 months or so.

Dear Mongoose, thank you for this tip. Fybrogel, etc can be incredibly expensive

Prov

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only times I had any bowel issues was when I first started taking standard metforim, and ate more carbs than normal on a few occasions. But I had to change brands as the pharmacy gave me a different one at one point which caused me to be very nauseous and headachy. They've made a note not to prescribe this one for me any more. So it's worth talking to your doctor/nurse/pharmacist if you are having serious issues, so they can help to sort you out.

Robbity

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to take Metformin in the past, not for diabetes but for PCOS. It did not agree with dairy at all, especially ice cream!

I think Robbity has a point, talk to a professional about it, there may be a different brand that would work better for you. Even Dr Bernstein (in his book) says he only prescribes the Glucophage brand.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I took metformin SR for about 8 weeks but ditched it due to loose bowels combined with good blood sugar levels with a LCHF lifestyle.

I think - where possible- diet and exercise can blow any pill out of the water and this has been backed up scientifically.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in January and have been poodling along, eating mainly LC and just had a glowing set of HB1ac results back. Not sure of the exact numbers, won't get those until I see my doc next week.

My problem is that, despite being on metformin SR I have dreadful problems with my bowels. It is starting to affect my social life and work life as well.

I still have a fair bit of weight to lose and I hear that other anti-diabetic drugs have a risk of putting on weight. So, if possible, I would like to stay on the metformin.

Does anyone have any tips about keeping the metformin miseries at bay? Any foods it might be sensible to avoid?

Suggestions would be gratefully received :)

Hi Providence 62,

I'm also on Metformin XR 500mg x 2 per day and I found if I take them as soon as I get up each morning, and then have a bowl of poridge straight after, I don't have the stomach problems I was having when I first started taking them. So I hope this will assist you with your current situation, so good luck and take care, okay!!!

Stemar, (Downunder)

ChristineF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. First time poster.
Still struggling with Metformin, confusing advise and life limiting stomach upsets. Was sent to a dietician and when I asked if Metformin was effected by diet she said 'aw bless you, no'.

So confused about what to eat?

Christine

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Providence 62

First post here too.

Diagnosed Type 2 last June with level of 14.4 after experiencing some problems I had not linked to diabetes, now (from this forum) I know to be classic.

while awaiting confirmation at the follow up appointment I adopted the LCHF ideas expressed on here as my wife had already decided I was diabetic and bought a meter for me.

During the intervening fortnight I saw my levels drop, testing several times a day, to a low of about 8.2 and a high of 11.1

Doc prescribed Metformin 500 for me too, but explained it takes a while for the body to adjust to it. I suspect the SR means "slow release" which he did say was an option if I had severe problems.

He advised me to take one tablet in the middle of eating my breakfast and another in the middle of evening meal for 2 weeks, then up it to 2 with breakfast and one with tea, again while half way through eating it.

Finally increasing it o 2x 500mg twice a day unless it was causing me real problems.

This worked fine for me, although I can tell my digestive system is not working quite as it used to...

I am still on this regime and last 2 Hba1c thingies have been around 5.5, so I seem to be controlling it.

Good luck getting on top of it - there is a lot of good advice and support on here which has helped me a lot

cheers

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Tim .I take my metformin in the middle of my meal sort of sandwiched in the food and it seems to work better that way
CAROL

Ziggy51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Suggestions would be gratefully received :)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. First time poster.
Still struggling with Metformin, confusing advise and life limiting stomach upsets. Was sent to a dietician and when I asked if Metformin was effected by diet she said 'aw bless you, no'.

So confused about what to eat?

Christine

Hi Christine,

I was diagnose with type 2 about 18 months ago and was prescribed Metformin XR 500 mgs, and even though I never had any side affects I use to take them directly after my breakfast each morning, then about 8 mths ago my dose was doubled too 1000 mgs, but still no side affects, but a few days ago my medication was changed to a drug called Trajentamet, Linagliptin 2.5 mg / Metformin Hydrochloride 1000 mg, the first few days that I took these new tablets things were okay. But this morning when I got up I was running late, so I skiped breakfast but still had the tablets as usual and about 30 minutes later I was sick and throwing up, but I think most of the medication had been disolved, so I suggest you try having your tablets along with your breakfast. I hope this along with the other information you recieve from this forum. I wish you all the best for your future in this situation, so take care and look after yourself.

Stemar, (Downunder)