Confused about lowering meds.....

sandiegirl

Dear all,
I have been quite successful since starting to lo-carb - a1c down from 7.7 in January to 5.2 in june. Also have lost over 30lbs. So really chuffed with myself......

Trouble is I keep reading posts from other successful lo-carbers who manage to reduce their meds down and sometimes are able to give them up completely.

When I started to lo-carb, my meds were as follows:

72 units daily of Lantus
60-70 units daily of Novorapid
4 x 500mg Metformin.

I now take the following:

28 units of Lantus (split into 14 units in the morning and 14 at night)
38 units of Novorapid (2 x 14 units and 1 x 10)
4 x 500mg Metformin

The above levels are keeping my bs between 4.8 and 6.0 fasting and between 5.0 and 6.3 after meals. I am eating no more than 30-40gm of carbs a day. i have tried to cut the insulin down but this just pushes my bs up. I now feel that I am failing by not being able to cut it down more. Can anyone please advise me if I am doing something wrong? Also, the weight loss has plateaued at the moment - I am ok with this as I was expecting this to happen - and will hopefully kick start it again when I increase the exercise.

Thanks in advance for any advise........
Sandie

jopar

sandiegirl

But you have reduced your medication...

I wouldn't worry too much to what others are taking compared to you, if your medication is holding your BG's steady, and if you reduce this further is starts to push up your BG, then you are taking the correct medication for your needs at this moment of time

This might as you say change when you do more exercise, you have to monitor and see what suits you best...

But so far, you should give yourself a pat on the back, losing 30lb in weight, and reducing your meds is very good going well done

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sandie,

Although you have lost weight you probably still have some insulin resistance and that will reduce if you can increase the exercise. That can make a big difference to your BG and can result in your needing less insulin.

sandiegirl

Thanks for your advise, will up the exercise and see what happens, and will definitely try and stop beating myself up about the insulin............... trouble is, now I have got my a1c to 5.2, I really want to keep it there!!!
Have a good one everyubody....
Sandie