I need a diabetic friend

lesleyp1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been diagnosed for 19 years now and probably like a lot of you, I still struggle! I get down, I hate it, I binge when I know I shouldn't. I wish I had the strength to stick to what I know I should be doing religiously! I think I need a diabetic friend. Someone who I can whinge too, someone who really understands what it's like. Someone this can give me proper advice and tell me to get a grip!!!

Does anyone want to be my diabetic friend?

I think it may help me in feeling like I'm not alone and having to deal with this cack by myself.

Reactions: 28 people

Lucyturner

I'd love a diabetic friend, I know exactly how you feel, I've been diagnosed for about 4 years. I have ups and downs and although you can talk to family and friends sometimes you need to speak to someone else who has been there and understands, I am also looking in to doing a councilling course that concentrates on medical counselling so I am a good listener.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

lesleyp1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw that's fantastic Lucy! It's soooo hard. I feel like I am the only stupid diabetic who can't stick to what they should do 100% of the time!!

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same - have been diabetic for 26 years and feel like I can't quite get the hang of it even though I know so much about it! Worry a lot about getting complications x

Lucyturner

Oh you are definitely not stupid and you are not on your own, we all go through this from time to time. Anytime you want to talk just let me know I have sent you a message with my email address for if you want to talk personally. We all need help every now and then.

lesleyp1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is so difficult regardless of how long you have had it. Sometimes I feel so alone and other times I feel so stupid for having that biscuit that I know I shouldn't have!! It's nice to speak to people in the same boat. X

Lucyturner

Well you are definitely not alone with that I went through a really bad phase of secret eating, binge eating and then wanting to make myself sick. Just take it one step at a time, remember you are not alone and there are people around to talk to. When you go for a biscuit ask yourself if you really want it out are you just eating it because it's there. If the answer is you really want it then we are all allowed a treat from time to time just make sure you correct your insulin dose to cover it. x

Wetherelt

I would also so love to chat and have a whinge with you. Like you I have been type 1 for the last 18 years and get very frustrated.you try your best and still get a poor result. Moan to hubby but I think it just goes in one ear and out the other. Don't know how old you are but I am 56.

Reactions: 2 people

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is an amazing thread and probably appeals to more than you realise! I have been type 1 for 34 years and feel just like you! I don't really know anyone else in my situation and like you don't always behave! Life gets in the way sometimes! I do have a few complications going on these days but I wouldn't say I am horrendously controlled, I just don't seem to be able to achieve the results that are often told about! by others and the more I try the more I seem to fail!!! I would love a diabetic friend!! Would love to hear from you more! I'll also message with my email address and can chat as and when...and that goes for the other posters! be good to speak to others and not necessarily on the forum! (no disrespect as I love the forum!).

Reactions: 10 people

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 since 1990 and agree with all the above posts, it can be a lonely journey. I'm 56 too, family try to understand but I think it's hard for them to comprehend how **** I feel when that high or low happen and I just can't figure out why. Would love to join in with chats and moans!!

Reactions: 4 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I have been diagnosed for 19 years now and probably like a lot of you, I still struggle! I get down, I hate it, I binge when I know I shouldn't. I wish I had the strength to stick to what I know I should be doing religiously! I think I need a diabetic friend. Someone who I can whinge too, someone who really understands what it's like. Someone this can give me proper advice and tell me to get a grip!!!

I think it may help me in feeling like I'm not alone and having to deal with this cack by myself.

This has really pulled on my heartstrings, it can be really lonely having to cope with a condition no matter how good your family, friends, medical team are at support. I often wonder how others worse off manage to cope so well but everyone's different, I've always thought of myself as a tough cookie, but sometimes I could just cry my eyes out for someone to talk too who understands ands non judgmental, I'd love to chat to others that's the brilliant thing about this forum, but to have a buddy standing in the room next to you with a coffee or tea "Amazing"

Reactions: 6 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
i just been diagnosed with Type 2 , this April, came as shock to me, as i was not overweight, and my diet was ok. So i am struggling to change my diet and change the way i am eating, I am doing the Newcastle diet and now on Day 14

Happy Trucker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love it , Love it , Love it !!! more truths coming out here than all the information you could find !! I'm T 2 and can relate to everything that's been said . How can you be in a group so large yet feel so alone !! BUT I'm not sure I could support anyone as I'm as bad if not worse in going off track.......

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
ahhhh, Ive been type 1 for 42 years and still get like that.......

So if you need an ear I would be glad to listen

Reactions: 2 people

mrtt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

i have no diabetic friends either and happy to chat .i only found this site one day ago and at 54 find tech stuff a bit of a struggle,i say i would like a diabetic day off as get so fed up/down about it . i refuse to do what im told and just try to keep my levels between 4 and 9 and its hard .so you are not alone .

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can relate to all what you say too. Please, come to our meet up if you can. It was great to meet other diabetics and talk to someone who truly understands. Its a very lonely condition and emotionally demanding. Even , a little diabetic girl who I look after in the school I work, says the same. She keep saying she wants diabetic friends and cant wait to move to bigger secondary school, where she will have bigger chances to meet someone with diabetes. It is sometimes heart breaking to hear it

mrtt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate to all what you say too. Please, come to our meet up if you can. It was great to meet other diabetics and talk to someone who truly understands. Its a very lonely condition and emotionally demanding. Even , a little diabetic girl who I look after in the school I work, says the same. She keep saying she wants diabetic friends and cant wait to move to bigger secondary school, where she will have bigger chances to meet someone with diabetes. It is sometimes heart breaking to hear it
just need an idea of area you may meet

Happy Trucker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There seems to be a great deal more to being diabetic than we all realise. where does it come from ? We are all different in the way we live yet we are a group with this problem.
I find even my family don't really "listen" and take very little notice of what you might say. And then if you say too much your classed as complaining. yes I know there are people worse off but............ even going out to a coffee and a cake you have to think about. There is a part of me that says to hell with it I'm going to live my life in the best way I can and just take pot luck what comes around. But the most important thing for all of us is having someone there who understands the problems we have and what better could it be if that person was in the same boat...............

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same. No one gets it like another diabetic.

Have you considered Lindt 90% chocolate? It's really low carb so when you get those binge cravings : it won't affect your BG too much :)

Reactions: 4 people