You guys were right...met the diabetic nurse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anything you can wear with ring to stop it slipping? You definitely don't want to lose that
Try winding some cotton around it - till can get it made smaller via a good jeweller ?

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes, there is slight play but not enough for a dress size...yet lol

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I once lost my pants in a queue .
The just whizzed down my legs - luckily folk saw the funny side
of this :hilarious:
I was a bit red faced though I must admit :shy::oops:

Reactions: 6 people

tpowell29210

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, I am trying to process my first visit to the diabetic nurse yesterday, it is now 4 weeks since being diagnosed. I am so thankful for this forum and its members because without it, I would have been lost! So far I've lost 1 stone following LCFF and getting reasonable BG readings.

My husband prepared me also for the visit saying I should adopt the Churchill dog strategy of "ohhhhh yes" and just nod!

What I was told was a total contradiction to what I have learnt here. The advice is to "make sure" that I eat a starchy carbohydrate at every meal, rice, bread, pasta et al and choose the wholegrain varieties. I must cut down on all fat; use semi or skimmed milk etc. I can eat all fruits as long as I eat the whole fruit and not the juice. When going out, I should ask for the bread basket if I will be waiting for food to be served!

My wonderful nurse said she was putting me on a full day course (whoopie) to "teach me all about diabetes and how to eat for "my kind" of food! oh and I should not be testing myself as my readings will be wrong! Even though the booklet she gave me says that I should be testing! Oh and of course over the years I wont be able to control my BG's and will end up on different medication and insulin.

I must not buy any diabetes specific foods because they are full of sugar and fat:banghead: oh and my "goal" is to get my hb1c down to 55 which is perfectly ok for a diabetic (read, dont expect anything different!)

The best piece of advise was that I should STAY AWAY from other sites recommending different treatments for diabetes because they don't work and are dangerous!:hilarious:

No:facepalm: just No:stop: How can they get it so wrong, the advise makes no logical sense, if my body cannot cope with carbohydrates, why are you telling me to eat more of them and insist I do it at every meal?

Something tells me that me and the diabetic nurse will not be getting along!! Rant over:headphone:

You are so right. I too became and am becoming self educated about diabetes. I am appalled at all the wrong information out there and especially that embedded in the medical community. Lucky for me my Family Doc cancelled my nutrition class and told me to keep doing what I was doing which is LCHF. The best advice that I have run across is "eat to your meter" which I do . One bright light for me was understanding and applying portion control in what I eat. Finally I am not on a diet but rather undergoing a life style adjustment. When I read or see "experts" advocating high carb consumption for diabetics I want to throw a hissy fit.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Join the 'wardrobe malfunction' club sand and boojewels. It's funny AFTER it happens but NOT when your skirts around your feet!!

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it can be tricky but what i learned early on is that you cannot have both worlds if trying to loose weight. So it's either with fat low carbs or without fat and higher carbs. A few years ago before our wedding i decided to loose weight and lost 2 stone on slimming world with extra easy. As soon as i was diagnosed i thought i could go back to that way of eating as it also exercised portion control but i soon found out that after one meal, i was finding 12's and 13's and the carb content would be too high then totally reversed the diet to the low carb way so to speak.

In all honesty, if i could go back to slimming world, i probably would, only because it would make it easier for the family and simple to follow but my new found love of greek yoghurt, mushrooms in butter and less limiting of cheese has quite tickled my fancy:) I am always interested in other diets to see if any of them could suit me and my meter but so far...low carb it is!

Reactions: 9 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Boojewels I know that face well. I've got one problem. I've lost weight just above side of my bra. Problem? More lost on one side that the other!! Waiting for bra to start moaning at me

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Join the 'wardrobe malfunction' club sand and boojewels. It's funny AFTER it happens but NOT when your skirts around your feet!!
Thankfully [I think] I'm totally the wrong shape for anything to fall down - my hip region is far too bulbous for a vertical drop. Lob-sided weight loss, that's interesting. Maybe the other side will join it when you lose some more.

I know what you mean MrsMac, I'm finding that it suits me pretty well. I'm just not hungry so don't feel any inclination to snack between meals. I haven't dropped my carbs as much as some, but don't eat as much fat either. What I've settled on at the moment is to keep my general fat intake the same as it was - I only use a smidge when frying and still scrape it thin on the one slice of bread I eat, as I just don't like thick fat on stuff. I still mix half and half with my cheese between regular cheddar and reduced fat - because I like how it cooks better - but I'm perhaps being a bit more generous with amounts. Reduced fat cheese is nicer in scrambled eggs as it doesn't go greasy. But I do eat full fat Greek yogurt and when we have it with berries as a dessert, I add a dollop of whipped cream in it and it makes it very decadent - my husband totally loves that too. That's the only really fatty extra I'm having, along with some (sans cream) with seeds for my breakfast.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hope other side does catch up soon. I thought, few years ago, that it couldn't happen to me...but it did. I lost few stones when first diagnosed but fell off wagon when they stopped the testing strips. Weight all came back on plus a lot more.
Lucky you being able to not snack. My appetite goes up and down all the time. IBS makes it so much worse :-(

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mikej1973

1. Most DN's don't recommend testing they recommend the 'NHS eat well plate', people would have a chance if they were told to reduce carbs at the offsett they don't get the opportunity. I went from Pre to Diabetic eating the Healthy Plate wasn't told to test

2. Your figures are certainly excellent well done for getting them so low, but it appears you 'Low Carb' as well as the 5-2 diet non of these are recommended by the DNs as far as I know.

3. People with only engage if they want to and have the aptitude for it, but currently if they do engage with their diabetes and follow the DN's recommendations, it's a no goer as it only helps very few. Some are helped over the short term, but over a longer term things will not improve but get worse.

4. I engaged when I was diagnosed Pre, followed all instructions, after 9 months I was diabetic!

I'm angry no one told me about carbs.

Neil

Reactions: 8 people

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel really sad that something which has such a positive effect is blocked by so many. I have written to diabetes UK pleading with them to stop turning people , especially type 2s off LCHF
Got standard reply -balanced diet etc. sigh.

Reactions: 8 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it will take some time for different or alternative schools of thought to filter through, i was basically told not to visit other sites which advocate different treatment methods. I asked the question about fasting blood sugar as i was concerned about my morning readings and was told that anything up to 9 in the mornings is ok for a person with diabetes. A lot of our conversation was like that, sentences saying "it is alright for a person with diabetes" the whole point is trying to manage my diabetes and see if i can get out of those levels lol

Reactions: 4 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@daddys1

Neil. I usually eat between 250-500g of carb a day. I have porridge or granola for breakfast. I'll have a sandwich if I'm having an active day and fruit or a salad if I'm not active. Dinner is meat and rice or meat and some type of potato with veg. I also didn't mention beer! My one treat!

I eat a fairly balanced diet. Fasting days are low carb usually. Fruit for breakfast and lunch and meat on its own or an omelette for dinner

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@daddys1

Neil. I usually eat between 250-500g of carb a day. I have porridge or granola for breakfast. I'll have a sandwich if I'm having an active day and fruit or a salad if I'm not active. Dinner is meat and rice or meat and some type of potato with veg. I also didn't mention beer! My one treat!

I eat a fairly balanced diet. Fasting days are low carb usually. Fruit for breakfast and lunch and meat on its own or an omelette for dinner
Mike, you do realise don't you that the degree of diabetes people have varies greatly depending on the amount of insulin resistance and/or the degree of islet cell failure. I can only guess that you are at the 'milder' end of the spectrum and together with your reduced carbs you have managed to start weight reduction which in turn will reduce insulin resistance. I think what most of us are doing when we criticise the NHS on this, and I do very strongly, is that the safest advice for the DN to give is to assume a higher level of diabetes advancement and hence recommend carb reduction and testing. It won't do any harm for some like you but it would have pushed me into the 20s and 30s very quickly even when on the complete set of tablets (as a mis-diagnosed LADA). We are all different, but the NHS should be playing the safe card to cover people and many others like me.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've pretty much said all.of that earlier. Which bit of 250-500g carbs is reduced????

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've pretty much said all.of that earlier. Which bit of 250-500g carbs is reduced????
I think you said in one of your posts that you had reduced your sugar. Surely it's the fact that you made some reduction in your carbs that has helped and not the absolute amount you are having. I agree there is no one amount of carbs that each of us can tolerate hence eating to the meter which you rightly recommend.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi @mikej1973

1. Most DN's don't recommend testing they recommend the 'NHS eat well plate', people would have a chance if they were told to reduce carbs at the offsett they don't get the opportunity. I went from Pre to Diabetic eating the Healthy Plate wasn't told to test

2. Your figures are certainly excellent well done for getting them so low, but it appears you 'Low Carb' as well as the 5-2 diet non of these are recommended by the DNs as far as I know.

3. People with only engage if they want to and have the aptitude for it, but currently if they do engage with their diabetes and follow the DN's recommendations, it's a no goer as it only helps very few. Some are helped over the short term, but over a longer term things will not improve but get worse.

4. I engaged when I was diagnosed Pre, followed all instructions, after 9 months I was diabetic!

I'm angry no one told me about carbs.

Neil

I personally feel that some people can tolerate more fat as in cheese, double cream etc. Some can't.

However, the biggest factor here whether 5:2 or lchf is that there is a generalused lowering of carb intake.

I'm a lowercarber naturally and apart from 6 months when I was advised to eat poridge or bread etc I have always for 50 years low carbed. Naturally and by choice.

I never had a lot of "heavy fat@ when me anfld gubby dis it sent levels of cholesterol in wrong direction. With extra meditereaanean fats my cholesterol has improved a lot with HDL. The best ai have had.

With the LCHF everybody it appears us jyst counting higher fats as more saturated fats..... The thing is at the end of the day...

People are doing things different to the NHS plate... They are reducing their carbs... Fat is fat.. Whether its med diet or saturated.. One size does not fit all.... Never will. EXCEPT.... reducing carbs.

For 99% of my life (50+ years) I have ate low carb and without extra fats at all. Eating in the main 1 meal a day. Apart from the 6 months of adding in extra carbs when I was advised to when going to pump I have always been size 8-10 at max. Carbs shived the weight on me... And that was just porridge or toast!! I never eat processed foods or crisps and only chocolate if I was hypo.

Processed food and takeaways are the evil here for the population becoming diabetics and the push on **** dreadful food.

Then reducing portion size and reducing calories help but to me pure, unprocessed foods with biggest amounts of healthy veg n fruit is hugely important.

Cutting carbs becomes part of every diet if portions are reduced...

I think I now eat a moderate lifestyle of eating by having med fats only with my lower carbs.

I have always loved my food and have slways thought I was ."ms average" for eating. What this highlights to me is that people still don't appreciate a balanced lifestyle of eating.

I readily hold my hands up saying mine didn't gave enough fat. Heavy saturated didn't suit me or my hubby but med fats do. However, i consider my eating lifestyle bslanced in everything now. Still a size 8.

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Interesting thread so far. I quite like my diabetes nurse, even though she toes the party line on type 2 dietary advice (i.e. eat to the "healthy" plate guidelines), although she does admit that maybe the guidelines have too much carbs.

Anyway, I think it is extremely rare (but not impossible!) that the official health care industry dietary advice given to type 2 diabetics actually works to reverse or stop the progression of the disease. I say that because at our first meeting my nurse told me categorically that type 2 is progressive and that I would be on more and more meds over the years until finally I would be on insulin. I told her then that my diabetes would not be progressing. The next meeting when my blood glucose was in the normal range she mentioned that she remembered me saying that and was quite happy and impressed with my results. I think she is a little sceptical of my diet and wants to see my cholesterol numbers before she is convinced that what I am doing is actually healthy.

You can't really blame the nurses, dieticians and doctors. They are trained the way they are trained and no single patient is going to change that. Just try to be civil and try to show them by example that there is a better diet for treating type 2 diabetes than the standard high carb/low fat government diet. I think I am slowly getting mine on board with the program, but time will tell.

Reactions: 14 people
Status
Not open for further replies.