DN's

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to see DN as the 1000MG of metformin was giving me terrible stomach pains and urgh diarrhoea.
Got told to reduce Metformin to 500mg and got a prescription for Gliclazide.
So I got a BG meter and told to only test my blood when I get up and when I go to bed. And not to drive if below 5mmol. So I said test every time before I drive. DN said I only need to test if going on long journeys. As not to waste test strips, as they are expensive.
When I told her about eating lchf. Well she was not happy an told me a lchf diet would ruin my pancreas an I will end up on insulin. When I tried to tell her about my BG levels spiking if I ate more than 30g of carbs a day, she said everyone's BG level spikes after eating carbs. She said I had to increase my carbs an eat low GI carbs, or my pancreas is dead.
I asked her about my hab1c results from my first appt, it was like getting blood out of a stone. She finally told me it was 75.
I just dread going for any of my diabetes appts at my health centre.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry, from reading your previous posts you're doing very well and you'll just have to do the nodding dog thing at the clinic. Welcome back to our nice friendly club.
I don't know about testing and driving but would the record on your meter be helpful as evidence if you needed it? So just as well to test before every drive if that's possible? (Thinking about the idiots on the road, not yourself of course :))

Reactions: 4 people

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a codefree meter so I'll use it when I've run out of my prescribed test strips. And I'll definitely be testing every time I drive.
And I'm still going to test before I eat and 2 hrs after.
I had got my fasting BG down to bet 6 and 7. I went on metformin 1000mg and my fasting BG has increased to 14 mmol.
So back to the drawing board, an see if reducing my metformin to 500mg stops the diarrhoea, an see fit the Gliclazide does.
I was eating between 20 an 30g of carbs, but with a couple of stressful events happening the last couple of weeks I've been having up to 50g carbs.
The increase of carbs has made me feel yuck.
So I am going to go back to eating between 20 an 30g of carb.

Going to stop typing now as I feel am starting to ramble...........

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, wow, wow DN's sound like they are great, never seen one myself thankfully. Just stick to your LCHF and on the forum and you will be fine. I was interested when she told you not to drive if it is below 5mmol as I'm quite often below that nowadays and I still drive.

Reactions: 2 people