Is anyone having problems with Codefree meter giving incorrect readings?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi everyone,

Although my DNS has given me a BG monitor, I usually run out of test strips before I'm due a further prescription for them. So, I took the advice of forum members & got myself a Codefree meter. I've been using the Codefree over the past week, & my blood glucose has been running fairly low. Out of interest, I used my prescribed meter, with the more expensive testing strips, & my glucose level read significantly higher. Yesterday my Codefree meter put me in hypo range at 3.6, so I treat the low blood glucose with my usual hypo treatment. (I did feel weird, but have never had classic hypo symptoms anyway.) Now, because of the difference between meter readings, I'm concerned that I can't trust the readings that the Codefree meter is telling me. What should I do? Can anyone help & have other members had problems with this meter? It's got me quite upset & worried actually. Any advice gratefully received.

Alison. X

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Hi everyone,

Although my DNS has given me a BG monitor, I usually run out of test strips before I'm due a further prescription for them. So, I took the advice of forum members & got myself a Codefree meter. I've been using the Codefree over the past week, & my blood glucose has been running fairly low. Out of interest, I used my prescribed meter, with the more expensive testing strips, & my glucose level read significantly higher. Yesterday my Codefree meter put me in hypo range at 3.6, so I treat the low blood glucose with my usual hypo treatment. (I did feel weird, but have never had classic hypo symptoms anyway.) Now, because of the difference between meter readings, I'm concerned that I can't trust the readings that the Codefree meter is telling me. What should I do? Can anyone help & have other members had problems with this meter? It's got me quite upset & worried actually. Any advice gratefully received.

Alison. X
I have a Codefree meter and have used it for 6 months.I always find the readings pretty accurate and just 0.5 less on average than my old nexus meter.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Alison. X

What were the differences you actually encountered Alisonjane, and did you retest the 3.6 again on your Codefree and/or other meter?

Either way, many people have posted stating how unsettling they have found using more than one meter, for the reasons your yourself cite. I only ever use one meter (although I do have a spare), as for me, although the numbers are important, the trends I see are even more important. I appreciate that's an easier stance for me, who doesn't take any medication. If you have to address anything under 4 (as you will if you are going to be driving, and still on Gliclazide), I can appreciate how you would want to know if you really need to treat the 3.6 (for example), when it might actually be over 4.

Sadly, no meter available to us will be completely accurate all of the time, but swapping around will increase the chances of inconsistency. If you are going to stay on the Glic, could your HCP be persuaded to increase your strip prescription to an appropriate level - especially now she sees you are taking things seriously?

On a related, but separate topic, have you developed your strategy on (reducing/stopping) meds any further of late?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes you can get a rouge batch of strips ... Whats the batch numbers on your code free test strips ?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Sometimes you can get a rouge batch of strips ... Whats the batch numbers on your code free test strips ?

Hi Enclave

The batch number of my test strips is S0314161 (Lot No.) How would I know if these are a rogue batch?

Alison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully others with the same batch numbers can say if their strips are reading low ... I have the same lot number on the strips I am using now, and so far they seem right to me.
Did you retest from the same sample with a code free strip ? Some times odd numbers can get thrown up. Could you ask your Drs for extra test strips .. I edit to add I cannot see your details so are you T1 or T2 ...T1 should get the strips they need to control their blood sugars

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What were the differences you actually encountered Alisonjane, and did you retest the 3.6 again on your Codefree and/or other meter?

Either way, many people have posted stating how unsettling they have found using more than one meter, for the reasons your yourself cite. I only ever use one meter (although I do have a spare), as for me, although the numbers are important, the trends I see are even more important. I appreciate that's an easier stance for me, who doesn't take any medication. If you have to address anything under 4 (as you will if you are going to be driving, and still on Gliclazide), I can appreciate how you would want to know if you really need to treat the 3.6 (for example), when it might actually be over 4.

Sadly, no meter available to us will be completely accurate all of the time, but swapping around will increase the chances of inconsistency. If you are going to stay on the Glic, could your HCP be persuaded to increase your strip prescription to an appropriate level - especially now she sees you are taking things seriously?

On a related, but separate topic, have you developed your strategy on (reducing/stopping) meds any further of late?

Hi AndBreathe,

Good to hear from you again. The difference between the 2 meter reading was as follows: Codefree 4.7 & Element 6.3. I see that as a big difference. But you're right, the trends seen are the most important. I'll carry on with the Codefree until I get some new strips for my prescribed meter. At least it shows the differences when used consistently. But it does still worry me. I will speak to my DNS next week to see if I can increase the amount of test strips I'm prescribed at a time. Guess she'll either agree to up them, or not. But I have to say, my DNS has been supportive of my requests so far. As for reducing my current medication...waiting for the results of a recent HBA1c before moving on that. Pretty hopeful though. Thank you for asking, & for your usual good advice.

Alison. X

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hopefully others with the same batch numbers can say if their strips are reading low ... I have the same lot number on the strips I am using now, and so far they seem right to me.
Did you retest from the same sample with a code free strip ? Some times odd numbers can get thrown up. Could you ask your Drs for extra test strips .. I edit to add I cannot see your details so are you T1 or T2 ...T1 should get the strips they need to control their blood sugars

Hi Enclave

I'm a Type 2 & I'm prescribed Gliclazide 40mg twice a day, and Metformin 1000mg also twice daily. As for the testing I did, I used 2 different meters with the same sample of capillary blood. X

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave

I'm a Type 2 & I'm prescribed Gliclazide 40mg twice a day, and Metformin 1000mg also twice daily. As for the testing I did, I used 2 different meters with the same sample of capillary blood. X
When I get a roug strip I test with the same meter twice .. The second reading is normally right..or at least more acceptable. You are very lucky to get test strips from the Dr if your T2 .. So look after your DNS as you have a good one :happy:

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Enclave

The batch number of my test strips is S0314161 (Lot No.) How would I know if these are a rougue batch?

Alison.

I'm currently using test strips from the same batch as you and, if anything, I think they read a little higher than the previous batch I used. That said, my recent HbA1c was a little higher than last year so that might explain the higher CodeFree readings.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm currently using test strips from the same batch as you and, if anything, I think they read a little higher than the previous batch I used. That said, my recent HbA1c was a little higher than last year so that might explain the higher CodeFree readings.

Hi @julifriend,

Thanks for letting me know how you've experienced the Codefree testing strips. And you should be really proud of yourself for getting control of your blood glucose levels. Don't be disappointed with an hba1c of 39. That's fantastic. Especially when it was 62 just 12 months earlier. Hope mine is as good. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Ali. X

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm also in the middle of a batch of '61 tubs and seem to be getting readings higher by around 0.5. I hope it's not me anyway! Won't know for sure until I get strips from another batch (I don't have an alternative meter).