Breakfast ideas?

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria

There are about 50 different LC breakfast options, most of which don't involve either bacon or eggs.
------------------------------------

I eat boiled eggs every day with a full English at weekends. I'm quite keen on introducing a little variety. What LC breakfasts would you recommend that can be done quick or perhaps prepared the evening before?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pardon for interrupting but I had boil in the bag kippers this morning -- Tesco's 2 servings microwaved 2 1/2 mins (I ate the lot of course) with the added bonus that Mrs DeeJay cleared up the kitchen pronto cos she doesn't like the smell ;)
Helped with a slice of buttered almond bread.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Brunneria

There are about 50 different LC breakfast options, most of which don't involve either bacon or eggs.
------------------------------------

I eat boiled eggs every day with a full English at weekends. I'm quite keen on introducing a little variety. What LC breakfasts would you recommend that can be done quick or perhaps prepared the evening before?
I disagree that there are about 50 different LC breakfast options :p I believe there are infinite options. Breakfast does not have to be "breakfast food." There is no law that says we can't have leftover curry for breakfast, for example.

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes bake crustless mini-quiches in muffin moulds/baking tray, they can be eaten at breakfast or lunch. OK, that is mostly eggs (plus veggies, cheese & meat). Another "muffin" option is meatloaf (and they freeze well, so don't have to eat them every day for a week), I like to add grated courgette to make them moist and grated cheddar to make them tastier ;)

I've also made microwave flaxseed "muffins" but find them too dense for my taste (as I then have to add loads of butter and cream cheese, so the brekkie becomes 1000 calories!)

Half an avocado (or a whole one) with mayo and maybe some smoked salmon is very satisfying too.

I quite often eat omelettes with veg and bacon/ham/cheese/smoked salmon, take 2-3 minutes to make. And yes, leftover dinner :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Flaxseed in full fat yogurt - easy even at 5.30am :singing:

Almond bread with mashed avocado

Oopsies with peanut butter (100% peanut version) or marmite :happy:

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always suffered with breakfasts.

I am such a fussy eater, I usually just settled for the healthiest, thing i could stomach. This used to be Bran Flakes, but they spike me too much so are out.

I have only been diagnosed for two weeks, so still steeply on a learning curve

I don't like fish or yogurt, so I am kind of sticking to a egg based diet.

Either:

3 boiled eggs (although I don't like a boiled white, so I only eat the yolk, but i eat the whole egg fried) and 1 slice of wholemeal toast

An Omelette with ham and cheese

2 Sausages, 2 Fried eggs, 2 pieces of bacon (I mix this up a little with variety of sausages, for example I went to the butcher, and got 2 Pork, 2 Pork with scallions, 2 Pork and Chilli and 2 Beef and Chilli)

Being Irish, and from Ulster, I was always partial to an Ulster Fry, and I did try this morning, adding in a tiny piece of soda bread and a tiny bit of potato bread, and after 2 hours my sugar only went up 1, so that seems like a success. But again, it is a fried breakfast

But that is where my ideas run dry. I am searching for something else, something non eggy or non fried, but so far have not found anything else that i like.

As fussy as I am, I am willing try try anything I have not tried before, and will be as open minded as possible

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often have a breakfast of salami and various cheeses like goats, mozzarella, stilton, feta or cheddar with sun dried tomatoes, olives, roasted artichoke hearts cherry tomatoes and cucumber it's a lovely summer breakfast Quick to make and not an egg in site

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have taken to drinking 2 or 3 glasses of water first thing in the morning and then breakfast an hour later. I had a bacon and mushroom butty this morning using my own low carb bread. Two very thin slices so I estimate 2g carbs.
Added later thanks to some advice: the 2g is just for the bread part and according to the info given by the author of the book where the recipe came from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have taken to drinking 2 or 3 glasses of water first thing in the morning and then breakfast an hour later. I had a bacon and mushroom butty this morning using my own low carb bread. Two very thin slices so I estimate 2g carbs.

What is your recipe for low carb bread?

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It will be closer to 15g carbs.

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Pre diagnosis I baked my own bread, but kept it fairly simple (Flour, Honey, Salt, Flour, Water, Milk and yeast) but it is full of carbs, tasted great though

When you are buying the ingredients for your bread, where is the best place, specifically

115g (4oz) wheat gluten powder (vital wheat gluten flour)
85g (3oz) soya protein isolate powder
28g (1oz) flax seeds (linseeds), blitzed in a grinder (you could use a pestle and mortar if you like).
55g (2oz) coarse wheat bran

Is there a one stop shop? amazon? health food shop?

I have the rest

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre diagnosis I baked my own bread, but kept it fairly simple (Flour, Honey, Salt, Flour, Water, Milk and yeast) but it is full of carbs, tasted great though

When you are buying the ingredients for your bread, where is the best place, specifically

115g (4oz) wheat gluten powder (vital wheat gluten flour)
85g (3oz) soya protein isolate powder
28g (1oz) flax seeds (linseeds), blitzed in a grinder (you could use a pestle and mortar if you like).
55g (2oz) coarse wheat bran

Is there a one stop shop? amazon? health food shop?

I have the rest

I buy the vital wheat gluten powder, soya protein isolate powder on amazon. So far I have been buying
Arrowhead Mills, Vital Wheat Gluten, 10 oz (283 g) - price varies and lowest was £5.73
Pulsin Natural Soy Protein (1kg) - about £14

The flax seeds and coarse wheat bran I get from Holland & Barrett but might be cheaper elswhere. Supermarkets are now stocking flax seeds I think.

I have just found this site which looks pretty interesting and the prices seem good but have yet to check it out: http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/16341/organic-vital-wheat-gluten-flour

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D

Bulletproof coffee
Bulletproof LC hot choc
Coffeencream (I often just have this, but it does need a big cup and a good glug of cream)
LC chai with pumpkin puree
Greek Yog
Yog and berries
Yog and cinnamon
Yog and chia seeds
Yog and ground flax seeds
Yog, paprika, spring onion or chives
Coconut or soya yog (I prefer this to cows yog)
Green smoothies (infinite variety!)
Ham
Ham and cheese
Other cold meats
And/or cheese
E.g. That perrennial favourite, sliced meat and cream cheese roll ups
Liver sausage
Salami
Chorizo
High meat content sausages
Peanut butter on sliced apple
Any other nut butter
Cream cheese on celery
Baked or raw pointy peppers stuffed with cream cheese
LC flapjacks
LC nutty seed bars
LC cake (this is awesome! And guilt free)
Cheesy almond bread
LC scones
9bars (about 10 varieties)
Anything LC on LC bread (e.g. Liv Life)
Kippers
Smoked salmon (and cream cheese, LC bread or...)
Caviar on LC crackers
Kedgeree (with cauliflower rice)
Avocado with lemon juice
Baked avocado with cream cheese
Baked avocado with whatever you fancy
LC Breakfast balls
Fat bombs
Nutty fat bombs
Mushrooms in butter
Mushrooms with cheese
Barley pancakes
Buckwheat pancakes
Pumpkin pancakes
Almond and/or coconut pancakes
- with cream, lemon, berries, LC choc sauce, cinnamon or savoury fillings
Corned beef in tomato, spinach or aubergine (or all 3)

That's more than 50, and doesn't include eggs or bacon (although eggs are ingredients in some)

But you can also include leftovers, can't you? - and who hasn't eaten curry or pizza for breakfast... And since my dinners are all LC, then so are my leftovers.

:D

Reactions: 7 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a bowl of my home made Nut & Seed Granola with Greek Yoghurt. Less than 8g of Carbs, and yummy.

Chucked 15g of Organic Jumbo Rolled Oats in with it this morning as a "test", just to see what happens.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lchf pancake and berries.
Go to choice when I am fed up,of savory egg choices