Can anyone help me with my dodgy keyboard?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing to do with diabetes.

I bought a new computer in Jan 2015 - Acer E5-571 - and am having great problems typing, which is a pain since it's how I spend a large amount of my time.

I type quickly, but only use 2 fingers and thumb on each hand (I have more, just never learnt to type with them!). I've never had a problem with past keyboards - laptops or otherwise - but this blooming laptop has me tearing my hair out as it constantly misses letters. It's not as if it's the same letter either. I can see no pattern as to what it's missing out.

At first I thought it was just a matter of getting used to a new computer, so have given it a fair amount of time, but it's still happening, giving me proof-reading nightmares.

Can I adjust the keyboard sensitivity at all? Or should I take it back and complain?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try restarting your computer, this sometimes resolves such issues.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to do with diabetes.

I bought a new computer in Jan 2015 - Acer E5-571 - and am having great problems typing, which is a pain since it's how I spend a large amount of my time.

I type quickly, but only use 2 fingers and thumb on each hand (I have more, just never learnt to type with them!). I've never had a problem with past keyboards - laptops or otherwise - but this blooming laptop has me tearing my hair out as it constantly misses letters. It's not as if it's the same letter either. I can see no pattern as to what it's missing out.

At first I thought it was just a matter of getting used to a new computer, so have given it a fair amount of time, but it's still happening, giving me proof-reading nightmares.

Can I adjust the keyboard sensitivity at all? Or should I take it back and complain?

Buy an external usb keyboard if you're at home most of the time, this will save wear on your laptop and there are heaps to choose from. Try to use more fingers if you can.

Reactions: 3 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regretably far too many laptop keyboards have very poor sensitivity and/or travel on the keys. My company laptop, a Fujitsu ultrabook, has an awful keyboard but it's very lightweight which just about makes up for the difficulties in typing. I use an external keyboard in the office which is where the laptop gets used most and live with the poor keyboard response when out and about.

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the same when I bought my new HP laptop in March it was awful and kept missing letters It does seem to have improved now so maybe I have just got used to a new keyboard and how much pressure to use on it

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've never had this with acer , get in touch with them as they need to know there could be a fault in the system , if they are aware of it they can sort it out for you