PhD whey protein shakes

sammy1998

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried PhD Whey protein shakes for weight loss? Not sure if they will be ok for a diabetic.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Depends what you are using them for. Watch out for bg increases caused by them. Protein will do that with no carbs.

Della82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just bought some of the PhD Diet Whey... I was going to use it as a protein supplement after running but I noticed you can use it as meal replacement too which I'm quite interested in. I'm only wanting to drop a stone but I thought it would be a good way to know exactly how many calories, carbs & fat I'm having in each meal without constantly weighing out my food (I carb count).
I was going to do a bit more research to make sure it was safe but my idea was to replace Breakfast & Lunch then have a decent, healthy dinner (grilled chicken, small amount of wholemeal pasta & plenty of veg, for example).
The Diet Whey contains CLA which I used prior to Diabetes (I'm Type 1, diagnosed at 27 years old) & it's good stuff for fat loss & muscle tone too.
I'll do some more research & keep you posted :)

sammy1998

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to use it as a meal replacement to help me lose weight. I'm on metformin, 3 a day. Does anyone know if it's ok with medication? Thanks for your replies.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not to put downer on it but there is little evidence that cla helps with significant fat loss. All of the studies show a significant effect but very little fat loss as a result.

Whey protein shakes to replace meals is very similar to the Newcastle diet. Personally, if you are not under an HCP doing the Newcastle approach I'd stick to low carb, average calories (work out your own protein mix, I lost weight on 45% protein,45% fat, 10% carbs).

Everyone is different of course!

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I just had to post here, seeing as everyone else in this thread has a dog avatar. ;)

I haven't used that particular whey protein shake, but I do have a whey protein type shake that I use from time to time. I don' t use it as a meal replacement, but I do sometimes use it a bit of a between meal hunger buster. Yeah it's good because it's low carb, but like Tim said, the protein can can cause a bit of a BGL rise on it's own. (It's generally a slower rise than with carbs, as the liver steadily converts excess protein to glucose).

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all I'm new to all this so bare with me I'm a type 1 diabetic have bin for 18 years and staring out at the gym with a personal trainer he's suggested I get a protein to have and I don't have a clue where to start I'm on an insulin pump doin carb counting if any one could shed some light on it for me it would be very helpful