I know people mean well BUT !!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I felt that comment was pointing squarely at me. I realise my original post should perhaps have been more explicatory/different in approach.
No, not meant for you, though I do stand by what I said about your post not being helpful. After all, OP had said it didn't help hearing horror stories, and first response was a horror story.

Certainly agree about fruit juices though. Many of us have been mislead by HCPs into believing they are a healthy alternative to fizzy pop.

Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I heard a scare story the other day about someone who posted a scare story then died.

I think that is sufficiently scientific to prove my point!

:D

[P.S. I had a quick Google for the orange juice story and couldn't find it - I must say that I find it very hard to believe!
Anyone found a reference to it yet?]

C

CheeseJunkie

@Busy1

I bet that OJ story cheered you up, eh?

Sorry - shouldn't be frivolous, but that was the kind of thing that you were saying is hard for you to hear, wasn't it? The problem is that horror stories work the best on people with empathy - and they are the ones who were unlikely to need the lecture. The rhino skinned un empathetic ones could probably hear it 10 times and not realise they should be learning something!

The way I cope with those horror stories is one or more of the following:
  • I only tell trusted (or necessary) people I am D
  • I usually counter such stories with 'goodness, that's so sad. Thank goodness I've learned how to control my blood glucose. That should mean it doesn't happen to me.'
  • I avoid insensitive idiots wherever possible (not 100% effective)
And
  • I have fantasies about the fictional machine gun in my back pocket.

Brunneria,
It was also hard for me to hear that stuff on Thursday night. But I had no option to share my dietary issues with them, as the couple giving the story were paying the (expensive) restaurant bill (their celebration), and I needed to be able to justify stepping outside the set menu agreed by everyone else at the table. I don't think they were being insensitive; they are intelligent and well-educated and informed people who had experienced loss, close to them. As an aside, we did end up discussing BG monitoring, as another person at the table had several close family members who had had the big D. So the overall discussion was in general fairly helpful, and the host was very careful to ensure there were options which suited my diet.

I'm still coming to terms with all of this; I got my first HbA1c on 21st April, so less than six weeks ago (and at exactly the same time as several other pretty bad life things happened).

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
When I mention to friends now that I no longer drink fruit juices (except occasion tomato, in small amounts) they think I'm some kind of freak, as - they say - 'fruit is healthy' and by logic 'fruit juice is healthy'. 95%+ of the population seems unaware of current research.

Yeah and it's a real trap that you can fall in to if your diabetes has been undiagnosed (like mine was) and then it suddenly starts escalating.

One of the first symptoms is a really dry mouth and massive thirst. Your body feels as though you could (even feels as though you should) drink gallons of the stuff! I can remember some mornings waking up and my mouth was so dry that I literally couldn't talk.

I can imagine someone being overseas and unaware of what was happening, perhaps unsure about the quality of the local water, getting sick like this and feeling as though drinking masses of fruit juice was the right thing to do. It's one of those rare occasions where your body's reaction and natural instincts can lead you disastrously wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CheeseJunkie I've never heard a scare story that I wanted to hear, or enjoyed hearing.
So I think though that we have to decide whether we pass them on, depending on context and consideration for the the audience.

Personally, in the context of this thread, I would not have told your OJ story - especially immediately after the OP had said how difficult they were finding hearing such things.

C

CheeseJunkie

I'm only now realising my massive thirsts in 2014, a year ago (dive into the 'fridge, repeatedly) were all about this. And even if you have some knowledge, you don't necessarily put 2 and 2 together.

C

CheeseJunkie

@CheeseJunkie I've never heard a scare story that I wanted to hear, or enjoyed hearing.
So I think though that we have to decide whether we pass them on, depending on context and consideration for the the audience.

Personally, in the context of this thread, I would not have told your OJ story - especially immediately after the OP had said how difficult they were finding hearing such things.

Fair enough, Brunnera. It hit me harder than I expected. Maybe I took a wrong decision about describing. I'll bow out of forum, as all this is pretty stressing me out.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your kind replies. Don't worry CheeseJunkie I didn't take offence at your reply. Some things we really do need to be aware of.
I just need to stop being so sensiive. I am still at the stage where I am quite shocked that my Blood sugar has risen so much and as I am due to go away soon I have all sorts of worries as the heat seems to affect me badly. I am also worried about taking tablets because some have such nasty side effects. Not something I want while I am travelling. If it makes sense, I need to know at the moment that others started out with a Blood Sugar reading as high as mine. I am interested to know at what point people were told they had to take tablets to control their condition.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
CheeseJunkie please don't leave the forum. I know you didn't mean any offence. We are all on a journey. I know I am too sensitive but that is because I am worried at the moment. This forum has helped me so much.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fair enough, Brunnera. It hit me harder than I expected. Maybe I took a wrong decision about describing. I'll bow out of forum, as all this is pretty stressing me out.
Whoa! Stick around and discuss what is stressing you out, @CheeseJunkie. Diabetes is new for you, so bound to stress you, but nobody here is intending to do that.
(The two posts that could have stressed anyone have disappeared since I commented on them).

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CheeseJunkie please don't leave the forum. I know you didn't mean any offence. We are all on a journey. I know I am too sensitive but that is because I am worried at the moment. This forum has helped me so much.

@Busy1
I don't think you are too sensitive. Worried, yes. Justified worry. So at the moment just be concerned with your own worries. Ask questions, you will, if anything like I was (and still am sometimes) feel overwhelmed, but things can and do get better.

C

catherinecherub

Deep breaths and relax.
There are times when we all wish that something we said had been expressed in a different way.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CheeseJunkie

This is exactly why you should stay.
We are all in it together, and we all understand.
We just express ourselves differently.

And let's face it, if we can't help and learn from each other here, then it makes the real world 'out there' even tougher.

C

CheeseJunkie

Difficult to breath and relax. Currently bawling my eyes out. Apparently, accordingly to my only living relative who talks to me (in last 40 years ie since childhood) "Diabetes is an obsession; you are obsessed!". (last 90 mins on Skype, feeling shattered) She is mainly obsessed with herself (no health problems; it's just me-me-me)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your kind replies. Don't worry CheeseJunkie I didn't take offence at your reply. Some things we really do need to be aware of.
I just need to stop being so sensiive. I am still at the stage where I am quite shocked that my Blood sugar has risen so much and as I am due to go away soon I have all sorts of worries as the heat seems to affect me badly. I am also worried about taking tablets because some have such nasty side effects. Not something I want while I am travelling. If it makes sense, I need to know at the moment that others started out with a Blood Sugar reading as high as mine. I am interested to know at what point people were told they had to take tablets to control their condition.

I can't see anywhere where you have disclosed your diagnostic blood results, but for your information, in reading this post, my stats are in my signature.

I was diagnosed in October 2013, completely asymptomatically and out of the blue, following a general blood panel. I was about to go for a long trip overseas, thousands of miles from my home based health care system. Likewise, I didn't want to be taking any medication; especially whilst travelling for several months.

Anyway, I agreed with my Doc that I would have a period of diet and exercise, then review after a few months. I arranged to come back to UK for a couple of weeks mid-trip which was inconvenient and £four-figure expensive, but it seemed a compromise I could cope with. Against guidance, I started testing my bloods, so that I could see how I was doing (and also to convince myself I actually was diabetic, as I had not experienced any symptoms whatsoever). I also decided I would not be telling anyone about my diabetes, except those closest to me.

If asked why I wasn't eating x, y over z, I explained I had discovered I couldn't comfortably eat certain foods, thus I had decided to give them up for the time being. I was also losing weight quite quickly (I never carried much weight, but I was trimming up fast), so folks just thought I was watching the scales. As I didn't invite discussion around it, I was rarely asked anything further.

It worked for me. I really trimmed up, and by eating by my blood readings, my bloods improved dramatically, and as a result, I have never taken any medication. I have been abroad, away from the usual healthcare system for more than 12 of the 19 since diagnosis.

It can be done, with some thought. Don't pander to what "people" think you should do. Do your own research. Invest time in reading, thinking and planning. For your trip, have any supplies of testing strips, for example, before you go, so that you know you will be able to monitor yourself. By monitoring yourself, you will have a good idea of how you are doing and what, if any additional support you may need. If you take control, you are likely to be able to manage things fairly well.

Of course, again, I have to say, I don't know what your blood scores are, or if you have any symptoms, but don't let it get in the way of things you want to to. Perhaps some things need a little forethought, but I can't say it has made a seismic change to my life.

Good luck!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Horror stories?....i say talk to the hand .....there is always someone thinks they know better than you and will delight in telling you what they heard etc. I tend not to listen to them and am guided by sound advice from people on here who have first hand knowledge and experience :)

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
I've had a couple of people say Oh you're diabetic are you, Is that why you never had children? Only my self restraint stopped me from saying get lost!

Good grief...

There ARE other reasons- not all medical. Some of us simply never had the chance, until way too late to make a difference. Mind you, more like me would not be my idea of an unmitigated good!

:-/

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see anywhere where you have disclosed your diagnostic blood results, but for your information, in reading this post, my stats are in my signature.

I was diagnosed in October 2013, completely asymptomatically and out of the blue, following a general blood panel. I was about to go for a long trip overseas, thousands of miles from my home based health care system. Likewise, I didn't want to be taking any medication; especially whilst travelling for several months.

Anyway, I agreed with my Doc that I would have a period of diet and exercise, then review after a few months. I arranged to come back to UK for a couple of weeks mid-trip which was inconvenient and £four-figure expensive, but it seemed a compromise I could cope with. Against guidance, I started testing my bloods, so that I could see how I was doing (and also to convince myself I actually was diabetic, as I had not experienced any symptoms whatsoever). I also decided I would not be telling anyone about my diabetes, except those closest to me.

If asked why I wasn't eating x, y over z, I explained I had discovered I couldn't comfortably eat certain foods, thus I had decided to give them up for the time being. I was also losing weight quite quickly (I never carried much weight, but I was trimming up fast), so folks just thought I was watching the scales. As I didn't invite discussion around it, I was rarely asked anything further.

It worked for me. I really trimmed up, and by eating by my blood readings, my bloods improved dramatically, and as a result, I have never taken any medication. I have been abroad, away from the usual healthcare system for more than 12 of the 19 since diagnosis.

It can be done, with some thought. Don't pander to what "people" think you should do. Do your own research. Invest time in reading, thinking and planning. For your trip, have any supplies of testing strips, for example, before you go, so that you know you will be able to monitor yourself. By monitoring yourself, you will have a good idea of how you are doing and what, if any additional support you may need. If you take control, you are likely to be able to manage things fairly well.

Of course, again, I have to say, I don't know what your blood scores are, or if you have any symptoms, but don't let it get in the way of things you want to to. Perhaps some things need a little forethought, but I can't say it has made a seismic change to my life.

Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I disclosed my results on my very first Post (And Breathe) My highest BS was 27.
I am still waiting for my tablets to arrive so have been taking lots of supplements for the past two weeks.
I am a huge fan of chopped almonds as they always bring my BS down. I also took some Milk Thistle tablets in desperation.
I use a lot of Saigon Cinnamon and like a very small drop of cider vinegar in a glass of warm water first thing in the morning.
My BS today was 15.7 which is still much too high but at least it is coming down at last.
I am due to be given Gliclazide tablets which I am not very happy about as I am due to go away on holiday.
I have read that thes tablets have a higher risk of Hypo's. Any advice welcomed as this is all new to me and I am quite stressed by it all.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When do you go and how long for?

You seem to be taking quite a few supplements; were you advised to take these, or have you read they may be helpful?

Personally, and similarly to most T2s, I have found that the biggest impact I can make to my blood readings is caused by the food I eat (or as importantly, the stuff I no longer bother with). Never having taken meds, I can't comment personally, but Metformin has a modest impact on blood scores, but does help with insulin resistance (which most T2s have to a degree) and weight loss, as it can act as a appetite suppressant. Gliclazide has more impact on the bloods, and as such it means checking your own bloods is important, as once at an effective dose has the potential to lead to lower than ideal blood sugars.

I would urge you to concentrate on your diet for now. I know you say your diet is pretty good, but many of us have changed our ideas on what good looks like since we started testing; and that very much includes me!

If you are going on holiday, for a couple of weeks, in a few days, it could be worth talking to your Doc about deferring starting meds until after you come home. If your holiday is further away, probably that's not the best plan. If you have been running very high bloods (and 27 is high, as you know), then you will feel so much better when they start to moderate back into line.

It all takes time, but now is the time to read, learn and ask lots of questions.