Hello from Spain.

removalman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
TV
Ten years ago I was diagnosed T2 diabetic, and my doc prescribed Metformin, after a few weeks I had bad side affects so the doc put me on Gliclazide tabs and I got a Blood monitor machine. My readings at first were 23.4,my weight was 16.4 stones but within 4 weeks I got the readings down to below 6.3 mmol/l with diet,exercise and tablets, and weight down to below 15 stone, at the time I was 70 yrs old and I got no help from the doctors or anyone else. The point I am trying to make is that 7 yrs ago we moved to Spain the only help I had before moving here was from 2 books 1) Diabetes at your finger tips. isbn 1-85959-087-x and Understanding type 2 diabetes by Professor Merlin Thomas. 2 very informative books, But here in Spain the doctors, Hospitals and Pharmacy are extremely helpful and attentative.

Tom Hacker

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi @Hucker and welcome to the forum.

Look forward to your posts.

There is some basic information that @daisy1 gives to all newbies. You may find some of it useful.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm jealous, here in New Zealand they are hopeless. Welcome to the forum.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what is it like in new zealand?
Pretty much the same as in the UK. I ended up in A&E and I was told to make a doctors appointment asap where I was put on Metformin 3 times a day and on blood pressure and cholesterol medication straight away, it was the first thing he did even before I'd been for my blood tests. Got put on a diabetes education course where I was told to eat to the food pyramid, plenty of carbs and fruit and cut the fat. I was told that I didnt qualify or need a meter. After 3 months I had halved my Hb down to 52 and I was told 'that is good but you will end up on insulin one day'. So basically it is only with the help from everyone on this forum that I have done so well and Ipoint everyone I meet with diabetes to the website.