How high did your Blood Glucose get before Tablets were prescribed ?

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just about to set off for an appointment with the Doctor.
My blood sugar has been really high and although I have brought it down quite a bit I think I will be given tablets today.
I just wondered when Doctors decide Tablets are necessary ? He was talking about putting me on Gliclazide but I am not keen as I gather you can have an increased chance of Hypo's. As this is all new to me and I have a huge fear of Hypo's.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't possibly second guess what your doc will decide to do, but there are many different medications and treatment methods for diabetes, the usual first line of attack, medication-wise, is Metformin.

If you mention your fear of hypos, he can probably find a more suitable treatment for you. I was on Glicazide for about 3 years and never had a hypo on it. Granted, my BGs were always too high and it proved to be pretty ineffectual for me, but it's not a given that you'll have hypos just because you take it - I think it's only because of its methodology that it makes it more possible than other meds that work differently.

You need to discuss it with your doc, you don't have to have what is first offered, so you must mention your concerns and talk them over with him.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't possibly second guess what your doc will decide to do, but there are many different medications and treatment methods for diabetes, the usual first line of attack, medication-wise, is Metformin.

If you mention your fear of hypos, he can probably find a more suitable treatment for you. I was on Glicazide for about 3 years and never had a hypo on it. Granted, my BGs were always too high and it proved to be pretty ineffectual for me, but it's not a given that you'll have hypos just because you take it - I think it's only because of its methodology that it makes it more possible than other meds that work differently.

You need to discuss it with your doc, you don't have to have what is first offered, so you must mention your concerns and talk them over with him.
Thanks for your kind reply Boojewels
I have just got back from the doctors We had a long chat and he has given me Metformin slow release tablets instead of Glicazide.
I was just too worried about Hypo's. I did ask when they start to prescribe tablets usually and he said at around the level 8 depending on other factors as well.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds like a better solution - gets rid of those hypo fears for you.

You can't just take meds however and hope that will get it under control - it's not a cure-all in isolation - it's only one relatively minor factor in managing diabetes. The best help you can give yourself is to control what you eat, drop weight if you can and need to and exercise as appropriate for you.

But I think I already saw you post that you'd lost weight and reduced carbs - so keep that up too, the Metformin will just help you along.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like a better solution - gets rid of those hypo fears for you.

You can't just take meds however and hope that will get it under control - it's not a cure-all in isolation - it's only one relatively minor factor in managing diabetes. The best help you can give yourself is to control what you eat, drop weight if you can and need to and exercise as appropriate for you.

But I think I already saw you post that you'd lost weight and reduced carbs - so keep that up too, the Metformin will just help you along.

Its all a bit of a shock isn't it, but I shall take one thing at a time and hope the tablets help a bit.
I think I was getting myself in a bit of a state because I could see my Blood levels getting higher and higher.
Once they started to come down I started to relax a bit.
I have a lot of weight to lose and need to get out and about to do more walking !
I have a slight disability after an operation went wrong many years ago, so I can't exercise as much as I like. Visiting the doctor is always an ordeal for me.