blood sugar tables

adam30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I understand there is new languages old language with blood sugar figures, do you guys know of a table where i can compare this information, for example blood sugar of 5.2 is what? When i test my BS it always in figures of 4.0 - 10 etc but not that high! I have been given a figure of 51 for my BS but have no idea what it is in old money!

Can you pls help

Thank you

Adam

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I understand there is new languages old language with blood sugar figures, do you guys know of a table where i can compare this information, for example blood sugar of 5.2 is what? When i test my BS it always in figures of 4.0 - 10 etc but not that high! I have been given a figure of 51 for my BS but have no idea what it is in old money!

Can you pls help

Thank you

Adam

I think you are looking for the below page:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This explanation of the two types of blood tests might help too, I posted this for someone else recently [edited to make sense here]:

There are two main regular blood tests for diabetics - the finger prick test that you do yourself and the HbA1c. The finger prick just measures the amount of glucose in that droplet of blood at that moment. If you take it again from another finger or a little while later, it will likely give a slightly different result as it perpetually changes with what you eat, activity, stress etc.

The HbA1c test is rather different as it measures the glucose attached to red blood cells. As red blood cells live for anything up to 6 months, a sample of venous blood (taken at the docs) will include cells of a multitude of ages. So testing the glucose on all of those, gives an average reading for the life of those combined cells. So some cells will be brand new and show your blood glucose recently, old cells will reflect what it was like a few weeks ago. So the HbA1c shows an average for something like the past three months or so. They're generally only done routinely every six months - there's not much to be gained by doing them too frequently.

So one is immediately responsive to your food, activity etc. and he HbA1c shows the general trend of the last few weeks.

Your HbA1c is the one that is 51 (mmol/l), which is 6.8% in old money, using the link s_k_s posted above - which sounds spot on if your own readings are between 4 and 10-ish.

Reactions: 4 people