I know people mean well BUT !!!

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When do you go and how long for?

You seem to be taking quite a few supplements; were you advised to take these, or have you read they may be helpful?

Personally, and similarly to most T2s, I have found that the biggest impact I can make to my blood readings is caused by the food I eat (or as importantly, the stuff I no longer bother with). Never having taken meds, I can't comment personally, but Metformin has a modest impact on blood scores, but does help with insulin resistance (which most T2s have to a degree) and weight loss, as it can act as a appetite suppressant. Gliclazide has more impact on the bloods, and as such it means checking your own bloods is important, as once at an effective dose has the potential to lead to lower than ideal blood sugars.

I would urge you to concentrate on your diet for now. I know you say your diet is pretty good, but many of us have changed our ideas on what good looks like since we started testing; and that very much includes me!

If you are going on holiday, for a couple of weeks, in a few days, it could be worth talking to your Doc about deferring starting meds until after you come home. If your holiday is further away, probably that's not the best plan. If you have been running very high bloods (and 27 is high, as you know), then you will feel so much better when they start to moderate back into line.

It all takes time, but now is the time to read, learn and ask lots of questions.

Hello And Breathe.
Thank you for your reply.
We are just going to the Med but the heat sometimes affects my numbers.
I was indeed taking a lot of supplements. This is because I wasn't able to get a Doctors appointment and when I did my tablets took ages to come through as they had to be ordered.

I was taking more supplements than normal as I was trying everything possible to bring my bloods down.
I got down from 27 to 15 so something was working. It may have been cinnamon or chopped almonds.
When I say my diet is pretty good. I mean it is tons better than it used to be !!! I have an awful lot to learn and still don't always know why my blood rises sharply sometimes.
I really didn't want to gain anymore weight with tablets as I still have an awful lot to lose. The dodtor thinks metformin may help me lose more weight. and it takes away my worries about Hypo's
I would have preferred to have waited until after the holiday to start taking tablets but the doctor has started me on a very low dose so I will see how I get on.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello And Breathe.
Thank you for your reply.
We are just going to the Med but the heat sometimes affects my numbers.
I was indeed taking a lot of supplements. This is because I wasn't able to get a Doctors appointment and when I did my tablets took ages to come through as they had to be ordered.

I was taking more supplements than normal as I was trying everything possible to bring my bloods down.
I got down from 27 to 15 so something was working. It may have been cinnamon or chopped almonds.
When I say my diet is pretty good. I mean it is tons better than it used to be !!! I have an awful lot to learn and still don't always know why my blood rises sharply sometimes.
I really didn't want to gain anymore weight with tablets as I still have an awful lot to lose. The dodtor thinks metformin may help me lose more weight. and it takes away my worries about Hypo's
I would have preferred to have waited until after the holiday to start taking tablets but the doctor has started me on a very low dose so I will see how I get on.
Low dose of Metformin, gradually increasing? Could help. Enjoy holiday, and try to reduce carbohydrate food and drink in the first instance. Don't expect too much to soon with reducing BG figures. It will only make you anxious.

Keep reading asking questions.

Reactions: 2 people

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low dose of Metformin, gradually increasing? Could help. Enjoy holiday, and try to reduce carbohydrate food and drink in the first instance. Don't expect too much to soon with reducing BG figures. It will only make you anxious.

Keep reading asking questions.

Thanks Pip
I feel relieved to have got the Doctor's visit over and done with.
I hope to get the tablets tomorrow and will see how I get on.

Reactions: 3 people