Not taking my insulin or bloodsugar.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hej Juliaaelisabethj, jag er danska, typ1 och skulle gärna kommunikere med dig på 'svenska' eller engelska, om du gillar. Det är alltid svårt att hantera diabetes när man er unga. Hade flera perioder själv, där jag var i förnekelse. Eller helt enkelt bara ignorerade at ta mycket hand om det.Tyvärr, ditt eget välbefinnande är beroende av det. För resten av ditt liv. Låter tufft. Sikta det är genomförbart. Ta små steg i taget. Ta reda på vad som fungerar för dig. Ignorera negativa kommentarer från andra unga. Kan bli tufft. Syfte de är inte goda vänner om inte vill det bästa för dig och din hälsa.
Låt oss veta hur du vill att vi ska stödja dig?

Reactions: 2 people

jerrywood47

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Loud , rude people and self-obsessed people
Hi, I got diagnosed with type 1 in 2009 and most of the time it's been a living hell. For maybe a 2 years now I almost stopped taking my insulin completely, I take lantus once a day but that's pretty much it. I check my bloodsugar maybe like once a month. This last year I just didn't care at all, but I want to start taking care of myself and my diabetes, I just don't know how I'm going to get out of this. I've tried not to long ago to take my insulin and bloodsugar regularly but I just got back into this habit again. So if someone have been in this place and have some tips or just something.. And if someone answer to this and can help me.. Thank you, because I don't want to live like this anymore.

And yes I've been talking to my doctor but she didn't really know what to do or say.

And I'm really sorry for my bad English, I'm Swedish and not very good at English so.

- Julia

Hi Julia,

I want to reply to you because i understand and sympathise with your dilema . I was diagnosed with T1 in 1998 (17 years ago) at 44years old. All was good till 2006, i became depressed, got coeliac disease and generally gave up with my life. My BS was out of control hbA1c constant around 14/15 and still is toady. I went on a pump but just achieved keeping my BS high, i gave it back after 5 years. Why did i do that to myself ?? I just don't know, except i so hated having Diabetes i wanted to die. I now have diabetes, coeliac disease, vitiligo, duputrens contracture, heart valve problems (SVT), maculopathy (eyes), neuropathy in my feet, the list goes on, i think they call it polyglandular syndrome, my immune system has had it and all down to not taking my insulin or not taking enough. I now have met a man i love with all my heart and want to live a happier and healthier life for him BUT i am really struggling to get a control of my highs, i feel really awful most of the time not to mention my mental state, and now just this past few months i have almost lost my sense of taste.
I have just gone onto TRESIBA basal insulin and may be offered a pump again in august.
The advice i would offer you is don't do this to yourself, for yourself and those that love you, take control , take the first steps. Gerry

Reactions: 5 people

Mia_Malaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people, weird textures and dentists!!
Hi Julia

I completely understand. I was diagnosed at 11 and didn't cope, I didn't want to be different to my friends, I didn't want to eat differently or to have to be so careful all the time.

It has now been 18 years and to tell you the truth, I still feel like that. I am, however, trying really hard to change. I am testing my blood, eating better and injecting properly (I was also only doing my night time lantus). It has only been a couple of weeks, but I already feel happier and healthier for doing it.

I am sorry to say but there isn't really a quick fix to changing your habits or the way you feel about being diabetic. You just have to start and keep trying, of course you will have bad days but you should just try again.

Good luck, I hope this forum is able to give you the advice and support you need, and remember you are better than diabetes. Do not let it take over, and just keep trying :)

Reactions: 2 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was pretty much the same as you Juliaelsabeth. I never took control until the complications started. When I got that letter telling me I have maculopathy in both eyes, it gave me the shock of my life.
We dont think we will get complications because we have high sugars and nothing appears wrong. I was 38 and suddenly there was the possibility of going blind. I then knew that if I went blind, I would have to end my life. I was not ready to end my life so I was forced into turning my life around.

I now take my diabetes seriously. My complications are slowly reversing.
Everyday is a struggle with diabetes and involves lots of planning. Fortunately I have the Freestyle libre now which means I dont have to prick my fingers anymore. I just scan.

I would highly recomend you to get the freestyle libre. This little device will change your life and give you the push you need to put your diabetes first.

You also have a little son to think about so I really hope you can get over those bad habits of the past and start a new life and gain control.

Having control will give you good health. With good health, comes more knowledge and power.

Youre a young beautiful woman so please dont be like me and wait for those terrible, scary complications.

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/ (perhaps you have a Swedish site)

Please keep us informed on your progress.

Reactions: 3 people