Sudden high blood glucose levels - help!

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
Hi there,

I need to start this by saying until a week ago I was having 2 main meals a day, then I started to add lunch as well, which I felt I needed because I have started running again, 3 times a week. I haven't yet adjusted my long acting (basal) insulin dose of Levemir to allow for this.

So since yesterday my glucose levels have started to rise: morning glucose levels are fine (5mmol/l),. I ate the usual amount for breakfast and had the usual amount of insulin. Then 3 hours afterwards my glucose levels are slightly higher than usual, at about 11mmol/l, but eventually came back down to 7mmol/l after I have a short nap.

I skipped lunch as I wasn't hungry and had breakfast a bit later than usual, though I usually do have it now, and have just dinner and ate/injected the usual amount. Two hours after, my glucose levels were at 8mmol/l, but then 5 hours after they had risen to over 11mmol/l. I felt thirsty and pretty tired, and they continued to rise to 13mmol/l at 5am this morning, where I took a corrective dose after eating a small snack (taking 3 units of insulin extra).

So my question is, what's caused this? I don't think I am unwell, and realise that if I start taking more short acting Novorapid for my lunch meal I might require more Levemir (as I have started to have lunch regularly), but should my glucose levels rise so much and so suddenly?

I'm thinking about increasing my morning Levemir dose, which is in a few hours, as well as my evening Levemir dose, both by one unit, but would appreciate any advice you have, especially since I start a new job on Monday and don't want things to get out of hand. Thanks!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Lucati.

Here is a link to a sports site with emphasis on Diabetes and all sports. May be of some use to you until some more experienced T1's and runner's come along who can better advise.

http://www.runsweet.com/Running.html

Ken.

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
Thanks for the link Ken, I had a look but I couldn't see anything about adjusting insulin doses though.

As for an update, I have eaten breakfast as usual, with one extra unit of insulin as my glucose level was 9.8mmol/l. I have just tested it (2 hours later) and it's now 14.6mmol/l/!!

I'm going to call up my diabetes team but I have just been referred there (I have been diabetic for almost 9 years though) so I'm not sure how much help they would be.

Any suggestions appreciated! I don't feel ill, just usual symptoms of hyperglycaemia.... :(

jimmyt1988

14.6mmol/l

no worries.. Once in a full moon will be fine.

but should my glucose levels rise so much and so suddenly?

Yes this is normal and probably will happen after changing your routine..

When i reached 18 (after 12 years of diabetes) i started going to gym..The exercise made my blood sugar levels easy to control because of the excess burn etc.. But when i stopped (now im 20) and started to have 5 meals a day for weight gain (coz i got to 11 stone from 13), my sugar levels went up higher.

Basically, If the levemir is not the injection which you had before the meal.. then it is not the problem. Raise your novorapid amounts for the injection before the meal.. until you get it right.. the meal is only short term (as such) so the levemir is not the problem, you just need more insulin to sort out the meal at hand.....

If however that insulin increase does not change the fact that After the novorapids insulin spike, it goes back up high. then yes, it is the levemir, in which you need to increase the levemir until that novorapid spike blends seemlessly into your levemir backup.

Done, and, done.

Schimples.

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
Thanks for the advice jimmyt, and you found that you only required an increase in your rapid acting insulin then? I would have thought, if anything, I'd need an increase in my long acting, hence why I was worried, plus with my new job starting in a few days I don't want to be all over the place!

I sense a meercat reference there too :p

jimmyt1988

The thing is, it depends when you are high.. for example, If you are high even after taking a dose that gets you down low and with no further consumption of food, you get high again, its your lantus. If its not like that, its going to be your short term.

I think ^_^

tmh

I am hyperglycemic, and occassionally have an erratic reading I have type two which is treated with a drug called gliclozide, I also have a very good nurse who helps me out when I panic! My reading in the morning is normally about 4-6 but about two weeks ago it actually went off the scale (over 33), however I stayed calm, I cycle for an hour a day and see my GP for blood tests etc every three months, and even he couldn'yexplain it, from my experience, when the weather is hot that causes my glucose to go throught the roof, and it is not a pleasant experience! I also find that having a few small meals every 3 hours helps and definatley have a good breakfast, and keep your carbs up, don't know if it helps but I hope it helps you. Also check your medication because I was on 80mg of gliclozide a day and started to suffer irrational readings and night sweats etc so my nurse told me to reduce as my Pancreas was now creating more insulin, as I have halved my dose I have had no further problems

Reactions: johnnyxs