Is Tresiba any good?

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Tresiba isn't available in Australia yet but it's currently being evaluated and will hopefully be on the PBS soon.
I'm currently locked into 2 shots of Lantus per day, a single shot tails off at 20+ hours for me.
What's your experience with Tresiba?, better that Lantus and Levemir?
Does it give a flat profile for 24+ hours for everyone from a single shot or are people still having 2 shots?
Any other pros and cons?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on Tresiba for a couple of months now, and it certainly seems to work for me. I was on Lantus before. Tresiba does seem to give a much flatter profile. The first couple of days on it, my blood sugars were very erratic, as it takes a few injections to adjust to the new insulin. After that though, things have been much more predictable.

Reactions: ickihun

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As always, it depends on a number of factors. The majority of people on here who have moved on to Tresiba have found it to be very good, however, if you are particularly active, it may not suit you well as it provides a steady basal rate for something like 40 hours.

I use levemir twice daily now and run it as two different base rates. One for overnight and one for during the day. This gives me the flexibility to reduce overnight basal after exercise to avoid overnight hypos and also to increase or decrease the daytime basal to manage both exercise and gluconeogenesis in the presence of quite a bit of protein as opposed to when fasted (which require two different basal rates for me).

Essentially, if you need a bit more flexibility, and I do, Tresiba is much more difficult to deal with as it has a three day adjustment period.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @zjed

I've been on Tresiba for about a year and find it very flat. It's taken once a day even though it lasts about 42 hours. I had been on Lantus for the previous 11 years and found that it could be unpredictable at times and started to tail off after 20-22 hours. I only do mild cardiac exercise so am OK with Tresiba as a background, but as @tim2000s says, it probably won't be so suitable if you work out, or need differing basal rates night and day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'm happy with it - been on it about 3 months now as I was on Levemir and it wasn't working for me, was increasing my dosage but still running high, felt like I had become insulin resistant, now on Tresiba it's one shot daily and no problems at all, bought my daily dose back down after some tweaking but in range again which is great news.

capsicum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Tresiba already had its decision for the PBS in March 2013, but the outcome can't be made public until the TGA approves it. It looks like it hit a big hitch and they are likely awaiting US FDA approval, as they rejected it.

The data that the FDA wants will be ready by the end of the year, so there's a slight chance it could be on sale in Australia in Nov-Dec - but more likely the first half of next year. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, Toujeo is having its PBS decision next month, it's the 3x concentrated Lantus that gives a smaller ball under the skin. It can last 24 hours in a single daily injection, and gives a far more consistent release.

If you want to have the choice of Toujeo instead of Lantus, put your submission in asking for it to be subsidised for Type 1s ASAP:

mention:
July 2015 meeting
Tresiba insulin

In this form:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/PBAC_online_submission_form

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Tresiba for just over a year too and find it flat. I take one dose a day at about 9pm. I was also on Lantus before and find Tresiba better for me.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking tresiba for about four months or so. Really pleased with it. I find it really helps with my morning sugars. I used to get a few mmol rise overnight with levemir but stay pretty stable with tresiba.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Toujeo is 3x concentrated Lantus. When that went wrong like it did with me it would be even worse!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Tresiba since last December. I was having terrible problems on Levemir - on small doses it just didn't last long enough, even on 2 shots a day I was having regular high BGs and having to use bolus jabs to compensate. Since I've been on Tresiba, my fasting BG is much better, I don't have high afternoon BGs, my dose has dropped right back to where it used to be having had to increase it significantly on Levemir and I only need one shot of Tresiba a day. It certainly isn't perfect and it did take a long while to get my dose right, but it is pretty flat (probably too flat for my basal needs) and my control is greatly improved - far fewer highs and far fewer hypos. Certainly worth giving it a go if you get a chance.

Smidge

marsant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on Tresiba since April. I had been on Levemir for the previous 9 years and it could be more predictable for me because I work out 3 or 4 times in a week. As @tim2000s says, Tresiba is much more difficult to deal if you need more flexibility. So I intend to back to Levemir next week.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've been on Tresiba since April. I had been on Levemir for the previous 9 years and it could be more predictable for me because I work out 3 or 4 times in a week. As @tim2000s says, Tresiba is much more difficult to deal if you need more flexibility. So I intend to back to Levemir next week.

Can you tell me please how much tresiba you are taking compared to when you were on Levemir?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've been on Tresiba since last December. I was having terrible problems on Levemir - on small doses it just didn't last long enough, even on 2 shots a day I was having regular high BGs and having to use bolus jabs to compensate. Since I've been on Tresiba, my fasting BG is much better, I don't have high afternoon BGs, my dose has dropped right back to where it used to be having had to increase it significantly on Levemir and I only need one shot of Tresiba a day. It certainly isn't perfect and it did take a long while to get my dose right, but it is pretty flat (probably too flat for my basal needs) and my control is greatly improved - far fewer highs and far fewer hypos. Certainly worth giving it a go if you get a chance.

Smidge

Smidge
Can you tell me please how many units you are on with Tresiba compared to the daily dose(s) of levemir?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've been taking tresiba for about four months or so. Really pleased with it. I find it really helps with my morning sugars. I used to get a few mmol rise overnight with levemir but stay pretty stable with tresiba.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Please can you tell me how many units of Tresiba you are taking compared to that of Levemir?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Any persons on Tresiba... I am trying to find out real life comparison doses of Tresiba compared to other basal injections.

Reason being is that CCG's are double redlining this insulin. Consultants say its too expensive...
However, if costs of needles (especially if following rules of changing needles every jab) and only needing 1 injection when previously using split doses.. It would actuall save money with less injections. Less wasted insulin being primed daily..and I have been informed that most people need less tresiba than other basals.

I'm just trying to work out real life user costs... Not NHS saying levemir is £42 and tresiba is £72....

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any persons on Tresiba... I am trying to find out real life comparison doses of Tresiba compared to other basal injections.

Reason being is that CCG's are double redlining this insulin. Consultants say its too expensive...
However, if costs of needles (especially if following rules of changing needles every jab) and only needing 1 injection when previously using split doses.. It would actuall save money with less injections. Less wasted insulin being primed daily..and I have been informed that most people need less tresiba than other basals.

I'm just trying to work out real life user costs... Not NHS saying levemir is £42 and tresiba is £72....
DD - I was on 20u Levemir per day and now 12u Tresiba

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you @robert72.

In letters I have written I have stated my scenario.