sweating on head when eating

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I get that but only when I eat cheese. I don't know if it's a side effect of metformin though.

D-ED

I used to suffer from sweating while eating as well but funny enough that was before becoming diabetic. It just stopped a few years ago, no idea why. Age related maybe?

I found the below link that might be of help.

I suggest you speak with your GP who may be able to help.

Definition of Gustatory sweating

Gustatory sweating: Sweating on the forehead, face, scalp, and neck occurring soon after ingesting food. Some gustatory sweating is normal after eating hot, spicy foods. Otherwise, gustatory sweating is most commonly a result of damage to a nerve that goes to the parotid gland, the large salivary gland in the cheek. In this setting, referred to as Frey syndrome, the sweating is usually on one side of the head. Gustatory sweating is also a rare complication of diabetes mellitus. In this case sweating may occur on both sides of the head, with mild or substantial severity.

This distressing problem can be difficult to treat. Treatments used include oxybutynin chloride, propantheline bromide, and clonidine (brand name: Catapres). Recently, some success has been reported using topical applications of glycopyrrolate: the lotion was applied to the skin of the forehead and face, sparing the eyes and mouth. See also Frey syndrome, diabetes.

LINK: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9270

B

badcat

I got that when I was first diagnosed but it went once my sugars were under better control

waldo65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Cheese
I sometimes sweat during meal times but I do sweat during the night and wake up with my pollow soaking. My GP says its a possible hyper as my levels are too high. I havent checked my levels during the night as yet to prove the theory

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get this a lot after drinking - if I downed a glass of squash, for example...

ajaxcks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, Overheating, excessive sweating, Chronic Fatigue.
Having suffered with hyperhydrosis for far too long, my new gp ransacked his diabetic patients' details and came across a fellow sweater who was prescribed propantheline by the hospital. He put me onto this and it has brought about an immediate cure. I am on one 15mg tablet per day with a maximum of three per day permitted.

The only side-effect is a raging thirst when starting out with them but that really isn't a hassle compared with what went before.

Perhaps I have been lucky but it really has changed my life.

Reactions: 2 people

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get that but only when I eat cheese. I don't know if it's a side effect of metformin though.
I get the sweats too when I eat cheese, always have done. Not on metformin and never have been though ;)

shelz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer from this and so does my Mum, therefore it could be a hereditary condition, in my case. On a busy tube this morning, I suffered terribly. My shoulder length hair was soaked through at the back and sides, dripping wet. (I'm sure my fellow passengers looked at me and thought I was a suicide bomber, I was sweating so much lol). Then, the anxiety of it kicks in and it gets even worse!!

I don't sweat at night, though - only after eating some meals (I get cold when very hungry and then hot after I eat). Other times I get it is always when there's no air - like a busy tube. But looking around at other passengers, lots of whom were far, far heavier than me, I was the only one sweating!