What foods did you have to give up when you became diabetic?

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cutting the carbs enables you to cut the insulin, over time lots of insulin sloshing around can put weight on and cause insulin resistance. We have no RDA for carbs, recommended daily allowance, as we do for other food groups, it is said we don't actually need any carbs at all. If you have less carbs and use less insulin you can generally keep your blood sugar in a tighter range, limit hypos and hypers and consequently hopefully minimise side effects over time such as retinopathy, neuropathy etc.

Have a read of Bernstein's Diabetes Solution if you are interested, kindle version available. Good Pinterest page called typeonegrit with a ton of info and recipes. Horses for courses though but I have just thoroughly enjoyed my cauliflower rice and salmon with mediterranean veggies!

Ali

Reactions: 4 people

wd6ecc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
bread, potatoes, pasta ,sugar, pastry ,sweets ,grains ,processed foods ,most fruit ,sodas

G

graj0

Interesting question. I wasn't told I had to give up anything, especially carbs. In fact I was told positively that I should not cut my carbs, so I didn't. I decided to cut the obvious carbs a couple of years ago in an effort to lose weight and it's only since then that I've realised cutting carbs is the best way for me to avoid more and more medication. I was being prepared to go onto insulin, instead cutting carbs enabled me to drop Glicalzide, Januvia and Atorvastatin, because I don't need them. Cholesterol not quite what they would like but if the British Heart Foundation is anything to go by, my total cholesterol is just about right. So I suppose the answer is that I didn't have to give up anything, but I decided to give up bread/pasta/rice/potato. I haven't touched alcohol for 8 years but that was my choice and I never ate biscuits/chocolate/cake anyway.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always enjoyed protein, veggies, and fruit, so it was the treats that I had to give up. Ice cream, pizza, pie/cake, etc.

Now, I still have pizza, I just make portabella mushroom pizzas. I still have cheesecake, but it is made with ricotta/stevia or cream cheese/cream/stevia.

I do love that I don't have to feel guilty about butter and cream cheese, though. That is definitely a positive.

add

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've given up bread, soft drinks, ice cream, pastries etc..The list is long

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
I had to give up my favourite.... Pizza.Also bread,cake,rice,pasta,most carbs.It has been difficult because most of my favourite foods were carb laden :(

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Living in the land of pasties , I`ve made them all my adult life, was practically weaned on them , so I missed them at first, but not now, in fact the thought of pastry makes me feel quite sick :meh: I also gave up bread, apart from the odd slice of Burgen soya and linseed , no potatoes , no white rice . My diet is mainly berries with yogurt , loads of veg , chicken, fish and occasionally red meat , huge salads , olives to pick at .

kcbones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Soap Operas, Game shows, Reallity TV
I'm sure we can all agree that processed and preserved foods are bad for us because they give us inflammation and inflammation (the chronic kind) has a funny way of mistakenly attacking normal, healthy cells in our body; and thus the cycle begins (vicious as it may be)! When I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes more than 15 years ago, I wasn't the health food fanatic I am now, and I didn't really understand what eating processed and preserved foods could do to a body. Actually, I thought the main culprit was sugar, so I tried to stay away from sweets because I wasn't aware that carbs (that don't get burned off by our bodies) get turned into sugar and that sugar gets turned into bad fat, if it isn't immediately used for fuel by our bodies. Needless to say, that didn't help my diabetes management! It wasn't until several years later my (then) date opened my eyes to carbohydrates and told me how carbs get turned into sugar and the whole she-bang! (As I sat and ate my tiramisu right in front of him.) I don't think it registered because it wasn't until just recently (2 years to be exact) that I finally gave up all processed and preserved foods for good! I thought I'd die if I didn't get my chocolate fix every day, but the funny thing is, the less bad food I ate, the better I felt and the less I craved it. Now, the only thing I crave is peanut butter (grind your own!) and I attribute that to the lack of too much protein in my diet. I used to love brownies and pizza with a passion like no other and never dreamed I could go without. And yet, here I am, 2 years later, and I could care less about them! All I have to think about it how ****** I felt when my blood sugar was always high and that alone is enough to make me lose interest in bad food. What about you? What foods did you have to give up when you became diabetic? What foods do you stay away from now that you're diabetic and need to control you blood sugar? Thanks in advance.

I am a very bad example for everyone. I have been overweight all my adult life and as such I have tried most diets and even though I was diagnosed T2 9 years ago I have not actually tried to change my diet. I now know where I have been going wrong and am now trying to stick to a healthier way of life. My biggest downfall has always been savoury foods, pasties and pies, my only sweet temptations are fruit (especially citrus) desserts.
Please be aware how bad for you it is to ignore the damage you are doing to yourselves. I have recently been on the X-pert course which explaind in detail how the medication worked and how glucose affected you. This is a course I would recomend to all diabetics.

Reactions: 2 people

Ruaridh1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Marriage, exploitation in whatever guise, capitalism, bullying, computers, don't understand all this - what is a URL?
I'm sure we can all agree that processed and preserved foods are bad for us because they give us inflammation and inflammation (the chronic kind) has a funny way of mistakenly attacking normal, healthy cells in our body; and thus the cycle begins (vicious as it may be)! When I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes more than 15 years ago, I wasn't the health food fanatic I am now, and I didn't really understand what eating processed and preserved foods could do to a body. Actually, I thought the main culprit was sugar, so I tried to stay away from sweets because I wasn't aware that carbs (that don't get burned off by our bodies) get turned into sugar and that sugar gets turned into bad fat, if it isn't immediately used for fuel by our bodies. Needless to say, that didn't help my diabetes management! It wasn't until several years later my (then) date opened my eyes to carbohydrates and told me how carbs get turned into sugar and the whole she-bang! (As I sat and ate my tiramisu right in front of him.) I don't think it registered because it wasn't until just recently (2 years to be exact) that I finally gave up all processed and preserved foods for good! I thought I'd die if I didn't get my chocolate fix every day, but the funny thing is, the less bad food I ate, the better I felt and the less I craved it. Now, the only thing I crave is peanut butter (grind your own!) and I attribute that to the lack of too much protein in my diet. I used to love brownies and pizza with a passion like no other and never dreamed I could go without. And yet, here I am, 2 years later, and I could care less about them! All I have to think about it how ****** I felt when my blood sugar was always high and that alone is enough to make me lose interest in bad food. What about you? What foods did you have to give up when you became diabetic? What foods do you stay away from now that you're diabetic and need to control you blood sugar? Thanks in advance.

Hello, I'm Eddie - Type 2 Diabetic diet controlled. I didn't go into this level of depth. I hate and don't have the time for cooking. (13hour days and an adult family to look after) I know nothilng about food, I am not a "foodie". It is simply fuel. I monitored the portion size of my main meal and got some knowledge around carbohydrate. I've never eaten pudding or desert but I do like chocolate and so limit my intake of choccy biscuits. In the last 2 years I think 3 or 4 times I've been above 7.5 and for most of the 1st year under 6.5. But why is this food thing such a complex issue? Does it need to be so complex?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be interesting to know if anyone here does eat them especially the vegetarians..I have lentils sometimes and they are fine for me
my mothers side of the family originated in northern India. We were taught to soak our lentils overnight and then rinse several times to wash out the starch. I love dhals but being newly diagnosed I have given them up until my blood settle down. I plan to cautiously re introduce in time.

As to giving things up, I have cut as much ad I can of anything containing carbs. They do slip through though - lemons for crying out loud.
Big bummer is beer, pasta and bread. I have enjoyed making my own bread for years. Being more of a live to eat person I have surprised myself as to how eady some things have been. But not beer, or pasta, or bread. Can't enjoy ice cream brain freeze races with my grand children either. Living at the seaside, the smell of fish and chips is a real tease.
I gave up smoking. Carbs are probably a tad easier. Fruit - still working on what is OK , or not.

Lots of friends an relatives are now instant experts on what I should and shouldn't be shoving in my mouth. Luckily my wife is not one of them.
Labels - getting good at reading them. Happily we dont buy food prepared in factories and shoved in colourful packages.

Last edited by a moderator: