Help I am very anxious... Nervous of taking Tablets while travelling.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood glucose levels have been high and I have been given Metformin Hydrochloride Prolonged release tablets.500mg
I have taken the first one today but after thoroughly reading the side effects leaflet I am feeling very anxious.
I know these tablets can cause sickness and diarrhoea and this is the last thing I want just as I am going away on holiday.
Any advice from people taking the same tablets would be very welcome. I am very stressed and need calming down.
Can I still have a glass of red wine with these tablets ? This usually lowers by blood glucose.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi Busy 1.

You have the slow release version of metformin, and this is not likely to give you any problems, the normal version can do this to some people. Take the tablets with food if you can as this also helps.
This medication is taken by a lot of diabetics, myself included and I have had no reaction in 4 years
You can still have wine or eat your normal foods on these tablets, they take a few weeks to really start working.
If you do have problems see your doctor, but stop worrying and enjoy your holiday
;)

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Busy 1.

You have the slow release version of metformin, and this is not likely to give you any problems, the normal version can do this to some people. Take the tablets with food if you can as this also helps.
This medication is taken by a lot of diabetics, myself included and I have had no reaction in 4 years
You can still have wine or eat your normal foods on these tablets, they take a few weeks to really start working.
If you do have problems see your doctor, but stop worrying and enjoy your holiday
;)

Thank you Randburg.
I think I freaked out a bit when I read the information sheet with the tablets. I don't like taking tablets at all but appreciate that it is necessary for me to take these tablets. It is good to hear you haven't had any nasty reactions in 4 years. I expect it takes a few days before any side effects would show up ? I wouldn't be so worried if I wasn't going away. The heat does put my BG up sometimes.
There is such a lot to get used to. It overwhelms me sometimes. Can I just carry a small testing kit in my suitcase ? I am not sure what the rules are, or how I dispose of the lancets in another Country.

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

There is such a lot to get used to. It overwhelms me sometimes. Can I just carry a small testing kit in my suitcase ? I am not sure what the rules are, or how I dispose of the lancets in another Country.

I've been in the fortunate position to have travelled a fair bit since my diagnosis and carrying a monitor in my carry on has never been a problem. It might be better to keep the monitor with your medication in your carry on, just in case your suitcase doesn't end up where you do, and it does happen.
Interesting question about lancets, I have never had a problem because I don't use a new lancet every time I take a reading. If you feel the necessity to use a new one every time then perhaps a small pill box to put them in and bring them home.

Reactions: 2 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi @Busy1
Totally agree with @graj
I also only change my lances when they become "Blunt" probably about once every 2 weeks, but his idea of bringing them home sounds good, you could do the same with used strips, but I normally just throw them in the bin.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both for replying. There is so much to learn ! Yes at the moment I am using a new lancet every time I test but I am not testing too often anymore as it makes me more anxious when my blood glucose goes up. I am findng night time the worst as to be honest I am a bit scared of going to bed. I sometimes wake up feeling really spaced out. I expect this is because my BG is still hovering around the 20 mark. I can't find a snack to have at night time that will get me through until morning. I keep yawning and eventually give in and get up and have a snack I usually have a piece of cheese but not sure this is the best thing.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi busy one , I take the normal metformin and have had no problems a part from wind , I did have mild tummy pains the first day or two but nothing to worry about , I love my French reds but keep it to two or three medium glasses a day . .We go on a cruise in a few weeks so it will be a new experience for me to good luck have a great time JJ

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Busy one, why not take some Loperamide (Imodium) with you to give you some peace of mind in case of tummy troubles. Do check with your gp first though to see if it's ok as a T2 on Metformin, that you can safely take these if the need arises. I'm a T1 and have to take Loperamide daily because of a manic gut, but it doesn't interfere with my Insulin regime. Plan for all eventualities, take with you all you need, then de-stress and enjoy your holiday knowing you can cope with anything that happens.:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I've been on Metformin SR full dose for 10 years and never a days problem. It's a very safe drug and the effects rare except for the bowel problems some have with the plain version. I still have alcohol but don't go mad.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again everyone. Its good to hear you have been on Metformin for 10 years without problems Daibell.
I will check to see if Loperamide is compatible June_C.
Jay I I seem to be having the same problems in the tummy area as you. I felt quite out of sorts last night.(wind)
I woke up feeling quite sick this morning and my chest felt tight but I think it is nerves. I have a lot to do before we go away and its getting quite hot today. Had I known I was going to have the Diabetes diagnosis we would probably have postponed our holiday.
If I can't manage the tablets I will have to skip a day here and there while I am away. Is it safe to do this ? My bloods have been running high for too long really. Is it ok to take something like 'Tums' or alka seltzer with metformin ?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cutting down your carbs and cutting out sugar are the best thing to do for lowering your bg levels ,If you are not. going away for too long why not check with your GP if you can start your metformin when you come back ? Anxiety puts up the glucose levels and the GP may think it better to wait than have the stress
CAROL

G

graj0

. . . . . . . . . the effects rare except for the bowel problems some have with the plain version.

adjective: rare; (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.
synonyms: infrequent, few and far between, scarce, sparse, scattered, thin on the ground, golden, like gold dust, as scarce as hen's teeth;

"The biggest problem many people have with Metformin is that it causes such misery when it hits their stomachs that they can't keep taking it even though they know it is the safest and most effective of all the oral diabetes drugs." - Jenny Ruhl

Glad you put the word except, although a build up of lactic acid can also be a side effect, fortunately lactic acidosis is supposedly rare. If the ordinary stuff hasn't affected you in the slightest and you're taking 2,000 mg you've been very lucky or you don't eat lots of carbs. My side effects were, the runs, were severe, I stopped wanting to leave the house, if only my GP had told me to cut my carbs, or even gone to the expense of prescribing ER/SR/XR, basically the stuff that is slowly released. I was innocent then,

louch1

I am on the slow release mediformin . Unfortunately I have and still suffer with the affects of an upset stomach . Just carry imodeim around . It helps.