Please help dropped my blood sugar machine in water

Bethgabs

Silly me just picked up my blood sugar machine and dropped in my sink! Im gutted as i use it all the time ive put it on the radiator to dry do u think it will work?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Difficult one to answer, I'd dry it out naturally and see what happens, but if I were you I'd order a new meter and just use your spare until one arrives.

Bethgabs

Thankyou im annoyed as run out of strips for spare one moral of story have the same "spare " meter!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it should work fine again. But please do not switch it on for the first 4-6 hours while you have done the following:
- Open all the lids it may have, take out batteries etc.
- Shake it extremely well, to get as much water out of it as possible. Tilt it in all directions, so as all can run out.
- Then put it on a radiator, potentially on a dry towel (but not warmer than e.g. 40 degrees or so).
- Make sure its in a dry room when on the radiator, otherwise it will not dry up.
- Every 30-40 minutes, blow it for 2 minutes using your hairdryer, but with the heater off !
- After 4-6 hours (incl drying/blowing cycles) it should be good to use again.

Keeping my fingers crossed !

Bethgabs

Thankyou i did the blow dryer earlier but thimk too hot hope it turns on praying! Cant live without it

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great advice. But. I would be wary of "forced drying" with extreme temperatures with these devices...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If it happens again, stick it in a plastic box full of rice on a radiator. The rice will absorb the moisture.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I was going to suggest the rice as well as airing cupboard as heating will be off at this time of year.

Perhaps also ring the manufacture and ask for a spare.