Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mohanankur

You can google Richard Doughty a journalist who chronicled his journey of T2D with the aid of Professor Taylor in the Guardian and Daily Mail. He had and has a very slight frame (BMI) and if you need some encouragement you can email him directly at his website. A very personable person, a gentleman if you will, who knows all too well the goings on of T2D.

Good luck to you..
Living-by-the-beach thank you. I did that in-fact. As you say Very helpful gentleman. Good news is that he is still free after 3 Years.

Reactions: 2 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, last day of week 6 on ND. I am very pleased to see that a week or 10 days of slower weight loss has been replaced by some bigger daily numbers and I am back on track to hit my own target weight of 14 stones by the end of my 8 weeks. That would be 3 stone (over 19kgs) total loss so I have 1/2 a stone (7lbs, just over 3kgs) to go. I may even exceed my target. As I do have more weight to go to reach a "normal" BMI, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

More importantly, the BG averages have reduced again, with regular 4's appearing again when testing. Since halving my Metformin a couple of weeks ago the BG readings began to be a liittle more erratic (still in acceptable ranges though) and my 7 day avg crept up marginally. That has now been reversed and improved upon.

BP began to creep up a little higher than I wanted, so I have reinstated one tablet. I am still on half of what I was on when I started the diet and, as my hypertension pre-dates my diabetes, I can accept that. Further weight loss and planned LCHF regime post-ND may well eliminate that requirement, but time will tell.

All-in-all I am achieving more than I expected at the outset of this exercise and I can only say that my willpower probably wouldn't have held up if it wasn't for the informative and supportive posts I have read on this forum.

Reactions: 9 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Hi Rob

Sounds like you are getting brilliant results.

My weight loss was very erratic towards the end of the NP. Long periods of nothing then a sudden drop. 3kg with 2 weeks to go is very doable.

After the NP I have started to introduce protein but only gradually. I don't have breakfast - maybe a shake or two or a hand-full of nuts (macadamia's or almonds) up till about 7.30 pm - then I have something with the evening meal - which is still predominantly salad - but I may add some salmon, boiled egg, chicken or even steak. I cant seem to get out of the habit of not eating much during the day - then feeling quite hungry in the afternoon. I was getting some quite uncomfortable stomach cramps - but they have subsided.

On this regime, my weight went up 2kg - and is now easing back down again to where I was when I finished the NP. My fasting bloods also went back up to 7.2 but are now on their way down again to the low 6's. I am hoping of course that both weight and blood readings will continue to drop because - like you, I think I have more to give!!!!

Keep going Rob and tell us how you are getting on.

2 weeks seems a long time - and it seems to go fairly slowly - but it does go by - and is most defineately worth it.

Reactions: 8 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting reading and your posts have always seemed to prepare me for what I am going to experience in the near future. My eating patterns do differ to yours as I do like something to eat first thing in the morning and regularly during the day. Nevertheless the research on menus is currently mouthwatering!

...2 weeks seems a long time - and it seems to go fairly slowly - but it does go by - and is most defineately worth it.
Looking forward, I agree, but when you look backward I sometimes feel, "wow, that didn't take too long".

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had good proper high GI Indian food. Tomorrow is my Day 1 on Nd so recording all readings every 15 mins to see before and after.

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After high carb food last night i spiked to upto 12.1 in 30 mins to 7.8 in 2 hours. 1st time after 1 month I had about 250 grams of carbs. Could not eat well because of worries of bg at the back of my mind. But it was okay. Day 1 on Nd today.

Reactions: 5 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
We
After high carb food last night i spiked to upto 12.1 in 30 mins to 7.8 in 2 hours. 1st time after 1 month I had about 250 grams of carbs. Could not eat well because of worries of bg at the back of my mind. But it was okay. Day 1 on Nd today.

well good luck with the diet, , i am on Day 20 of the Newcastle Diet

Reactions: 6 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's really great to see so many of you giving this a go. I'm kind of missing it - NP withdrawal! I'm not all that satisfied with the LCHF - so I'm thinking of doing a couple of days on the NP in between. Food just feels uncomfortable inside now and fasting blood is much higher than before!

Reactions: 7 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am starting it today, don't know how long I will last :(
Hi Yvonne49

You can last the distance. You will be encouraged by your own success - and in particular the numbers. Whether it be you fasting blood, falling weight and BMI or HbA1c.

You'll also notice a bit of a bank balance boost. I had not expected to actually make savings on the NP. But then you will probably have to blow most of this on new clothes! :D

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Sounds good ,I have hit a plateau with LCHF,it worked well at first but for a month or 2 I have stalled.
So looking forward to get moving again.
Do you know if you can drink diet coke,I am still addicted to it?

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds good ,I have hit a plateau with LCHF,it worked well at first but for a month or 2 I have stalled.
So looking forward to get moving again.
Do you know if you can drink diet coke,I am still addicted to it?
Hi Yvonne49

That was exactly the case with me. I lost heaps on the 5:2 - then stalled. I then lost another 10.4 kg on the NP. (We call it the Newcastle Program - because a Diet implies food is involved :woot:).

Tips we have shared on this thread include;

- add salt to what you do eat (this helps in so many necessary ways!)
- add some oil (i.e. teaspoon of olive oil) this helps avoid gall stones; and
- (in answer to your question) drink loads.

I drank diet coke. Mostly because I was in ketosis - and the buttery taste on my tongue was temporarily neutralised by coke. But I also drank my body weight in water. I actually think this helped lower my blood sugar - but I cant really prove it. If I've leaned one thing from this thread - its that we all respond differently to the NP - but mostly we end up in the same place (lower blood sugar, lower weight and baggy clothes!).

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Thanks for all the info. Yeah no more food ,that's going to be a change.
Glad I can keep drinking diet coke,I think it will help me stick with it.
Can't give up all my bad habits at once :eek:

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Thanks,I will try my best.Getting so sick of staying the same on LCHF.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
On this forum there is idea about food recipes

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am starting it today, don't know how long I will last :(
Nobody could have more uncertain about achieving anything on this plan than me, especiallywith my previous eating habits. Take it one day at a time. Drink plenty to help fill those gaps between "meals" :confused:.

Reactions: 3 people