Type 2 Test Strips

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Do many of you buy test strips or does the Doctor prescribe them for you, I myself get them on prescription but after reading some of the forum I find many have to buy :):(

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was using the accuceck metre I was allowed 50 strips every three months on prescription so used to buy more myself, since our surgery put everyone on the element metre I now get 50 every month so no longer buy my own. I did a good few comparison tests between the two metres and allowing for meter accuracy found no difference in readings so quite happy with the outcome

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
I have no problem getting strips on prescription,using accu check Aviva until this month then sent an accu check Mobile in post(didn't ask for it) and surgery just changed to strips to fit the new meter no problem at all,and this new meters strips(in cassette form) come in packs of two so very generous of them.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i get 50 strips a month on prescription and buy the rest

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do many of you buy test strips or does the Doctor prescribe them for you, I myself get them on prescription but after reading some of the forum I find many have to buy :):(
As you are on insulin your GP can not refuse you test strips.
I have as many as I want and when I want them. Type 1.

Reactions: 4 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I have to buy mine - "It is not policy for Type 2's to test their own BG". I've only had 1 review since diagnosis and mentioned the motivating factor of self-testing but it fell on deaf ears. However, I'll mention it at every review and perhaps the 'dripping tap' will eventually have a positive effect. I know for a fact that I would not have had such a great reduction in my HbA1c in the first 3 months without testing (as well as advice on this forum).

Reactions: 3 people

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
Get 50 on prescription

I've been testing a lot more of late so just phone the surgery and they put an additional script into the Pharmacy next door :)
had 200 in the last month ;)

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the US and can get them via prescription, but I buy them instead. I bought a store-brand, code-free meter and every so often they have buy one, get one 50% off, so I stock up. In the long run, it is less expensive for me to buy the store brand on sale than to pay a name-brand co-pay through my insurance.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried, and failed, to get them on prescription but because my BS is well controlled with diet I don't need to test! I did point out that the reason that I was well controlled was because by testing I was able to identify the foods that caused my BS to rise.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm quite lucky at the moment.

I was on insulin for a while so was getting them on prescription. But I've managed to come off insulin now and they have left the strips on my repeat. I'm sure they will spot this at some point so I'll just enjoy it while it lasts :)