Strange blood sugar pattern whilst on pump

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was wondering if people who are on the pump have experienced this before...

Recently I have noticed a strange pattern where it's as if my pump stops pumping insulin through the night causing my blood sugars to rise between 10-13 mmols just before breakfast. I have increased my basal rate and even added an extra one to see if it will bring it down and it still doesn't do anything.

I have been advised by the diabetic nurse to do the 'fasting' blood test regime where I don't eat anything and to check every few hours to see whether I need to sort out the basal rate. Of course for me I just don't have the time to or don't feel up to doing it because I'm so tired from work :/

I have been through a stressful few months with work where my bloodsugars were constantly high which caused my HBA1C and cholesterol to rise.

My Animas pump has done me good don't get me wrong but something doesn't seem right about this. Advice please.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Your nurse is correct. You should do the basal testing. You're on a pump. I'm too tired from work is no excuse and if you can't be bothered, you shouldn't have a pump. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but there are loads of people who can't get them, so not doing what is required when having one seems to be a little selfish!

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
sounds awful why do we have to have all this stress :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I was wondering if people who are on the pump have experienced this before...

Recently I have noticed a strange pattern where it's as if my pump stops pumping insulin through the night causing my blood sugars to rise between 10-13 mmols just before breakfast. I have increased my basal rate and even added an extra one to see if it will bring it down and it still doesn't do anything.

I have been advised by the diabetic nurse to do the 'fasting' blood test regime where I don't eat anything and to check every few hours to see whether I need to sort out the basal rate. Of course for me I just don't have the time to or don't feel up to doing it because I'm so tired from work :/

I have been through a stressful few months with work where my bloodsugars were constantly high which caused my HBA1C and cholesterol to rise.

My Animas pump has done me good don't get me wrong but something doesn't seem right about this. Advice please.

Your nurse is correct, the only way to find out what is going on is to basal test. It's obvious there is a problem so best bite the bullet and do the test. There's no point in just guessing where you need to make the change as all this does is make things worse :(
As the NHS is so strapped for cash the nurse and consultant can quite rightly say ok you haven't time to use the pump properly so best take it away from you.. We all hate basal testing but it's part and parcel of having a pump. Other option is to ask if there is loan of a cgm so you can see where the highs start. This doesn't substitute basal testing though, just gives a good idea.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Make the time to do the basal tests @Nimster, appreciate they are a pain when all you want is a good nights sleep but its worth it to get stable bg levels throughout the night, you have to remember that sleeping makes up around a third of our day and that is why its important to get the basal setting right whether your on a pump or on MDI, if you have any concerns about how to do a basal test then have a read of the following:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Basal rate testing the Salford way will require a lot of bg teststrips. Many GPs will only prescribe 150 strips per month for insulin users and that includes pumpers as well so 6 bg tests per day is not enough to basal test every hour and have enough strips to test the following days. I can see that some pumpers will need to buy some strips privately

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Basal rate testing the Salford way will require a lot of bg teststrips. Many GPs will only prescribe 150 strips per month for insulin users and that includes pumpers as well so 6 bg tests per day is not enough to basal test every hour and have enough strips to test the following days. I can see that some pumpers will need to buy some strips privately
All it takes is some communication to sort out test strips. I asked for and have 200 each time I put in a repeat I have as many as I want or require each month.

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone :) Hopefully I will get it right but somehow either my body or the pump clearly doesn't want to be on its best behaviour.

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Due to a message earlier classing me as 'selfish' I'm seriously not. Fifteen years as a type 1 diabetic, constant high HBA1C's and struggles with stress, I was offered by my hospital a few times beforehand to go on the pump and I kept declining it. It was only in 2013 that they asked me again and I accepted it. It took me a year after that to actually get one through my hospital. I was very fortunate to get one but they could have said 'well because of the nhs and the lack of funding you'll have to wait another year'...i'm still learning so just give me a chance as I don't want this to be a place to argue. I'm here to get advice that's all :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Nimster, do you have the book pumping insulin? This is a fantastic book.
Having high number will make you tired as will stress. :( So top priority is to get your numbers down to halve the tiredness. High numbers can also cause stress so again getting your numbers down will also help in that dept. You don't need to basal test all in one go, so perhaps think about the day before your days off then you can have a much deserved snooze when you have day(s) off.