Low sugar and strange noises ?

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I notice that when I get low I hear really strange noises. It sounds like a loud echoing pulse or pounding noise. Does anyone else know what I am talking about ? My son was talking to me while I was low and his voice was actually muffled out by the noise.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unusual, but the racing heart is a result of the adrenaline that is released when bg falls into hypo territory, my heart tends to race fast particularly if I drop too low.

Reactions: 6 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had that recently with a false hypo - racing heart, pulse pounding in ears and then hearing gradually disappearing. Sight then started blacking out too.

Reactions: 2 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unusual, but the racing heart is a result of the adrenaline that is released when bg falls into hypo territory, my heart tends to race fast particularly if I drop too low.

It is strange but it is not the heart I hear . I wish I could describe it better it is like a loud Echo and isn't a constant pounding but maybe a sporadic sound that comes once a minute or so. It just started the last year. I do not get low very often but it is the the most prominent symptom of my lows.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I notice that when I get low I hear really strange noises. It sounds like a loud echoing pulse or pounding noise. Does anyone else know what I am talking about ? My son was talking to me while I was low and his voice was actually muffled out by the noise.

I used to get a whooshing echoing sound and distant muffled murmuring when I was particularly low, Just another one of my many symptoms at the time.
I first thought it was the television , but I got it in the middle of the night and when I had anxiety attacks. The worst was standing in the middle of the co-op, not knowing what I was doing or what I was there for. It was horrible!

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get a whooshing echoing sound and distant muffled murmuring when I was particularly low, Just another one of my many symptoms at the time.
I first thought it was the television , but I got it in the middle of the night and when I had anxiety attacks. The worst was standing in the middle of the co-op, not knowing what I was doing or what I was there for. It was horrible!

Yes ! Almost sounds like the same thing ! It is a strange , strange feeling . Hard to describe but I think it is my "strangest" symptom. I wonder if it is related to blood flow to the brain .

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes ! Almost sounds like the same thing ! It is a strange , strange feeling . Hard to describe but I think it is my "strangest" symptom. I wonder if it is related to blood flow to the brain .
No idea!
It's like putting your head inside an empty tube and the sounds distorted and with vertigo at the same time!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get a "glug" sound when I was really low but haven't had it for years.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a date with a neurologist next week to try to find the reason for muscle twitch -- head, neck, upper body ... but never when breathing in, only out. What an odd lot we are.
Hope all you haunted head people find a solution.

Reactions: 3 people

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I experience the sound and sensations you are describing. I first started hearing almost feeling the noise 3 weeks after diagnosis of being Type 1 I thought an ocean liner or large ship was in my house. Wasn't quite a fog horn sound, but was a very low sound made by a large ship. My blood sugar was low. Recently I have started to experience a flashing, pulsating light sensation above my nose between my eyebrows. This happens most often about half an hour after I have taken my first dose of Novorapid of the day to cover my breakfast. I find it very disconcerting and if I happen to be out away from home when it happens I really start to panic as though I am going to black out. Any suggestions what this could be? :wacky:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wait !!! Do you mean muscle twitching ?? I get that after a low sometimes but never really was sure they were related.
There was a period when I went through lantus hell that I would cycle in to work, go and get coffees after showering and 50% of the time my bg level would drop. I'd get the noise and then muscle twitching as i was wolfing glucose tablets.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I get very similar noises!!
At night it is like 1000s of ants trampling over my pillow but the noise is in my head. Or I can feel my pulse or my heartbeat in my head.. It really is a pounding noise...
Not always had it, only since my bloods have been so static on my pump.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Don't twitch though. Probably because I suffer nowadays from not being able to move in bed from waist to my knees..(no funny comments please) as I get totally numb and can't move and its not nice!!

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hear loud noises in my ear specially when experiencing low sugar (hypo).
All other outside noises disappear except the pulses in my ear. I quickly eat something to recover
& it take time to become normal.again.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I actually thought for years that everybody had these noises!! It took years to realise the tramping of ants across the pillow sound was a warning of a hypo. I am so glad to hear that others hear strange noises too.. Never heard this in other posts on symptoms of hypos etc... Thanks... Aliens are coming to get us!!!

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the sound of a car horn going off right by my ear, which used to be very disconcerting ! It only happens when my BG is going low, not only for hypos, but heading that way too. It lasts until my BG is in my normal range:rolleyes:

I have been told this is tinnitus, but it sounds completely different from what my experience of tinnitus is o_O Its a pain in the butt, but it also serves as a warning before hypo warnings as it were. A hippy chick friend said it sounded to her as if my " Guardian Angel " was sounding a warning, if it is, the GA has a wicked sense of humour as well as not so much a golden trumpet, but a ruddy great klaxon :D

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My mum has tinnitus and I actually thought I had it as well before realising it was a hypo awareness alert at night. The pumping of blood in my head is horrible as well but as said it is like having a GA..