HbA1c down after 4 months on LCHF, but cholesterol up

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,
I had my results back from latest tests and my HbA1c is down to 6.3% (45), from 9.2% (77) in January. Before that, last year it was 6.8. I started LCHF in January.
My total cholesterol was 4 mmol/L then. Se non HDL 2.1, calculated LDL 1.5 mmol/L, serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 1.5 mmol/L, Trigs 1.3mmol/L and serum HDL cholesterol level 1.9 mmol/L, but I was on Atorvastatin at the time. I have since taken myself off them as I was having side effects.

This weeks total cholesterol was 6.4, trigs 1.4, serum HDL chol 1.8, calculated LDL 3.6 and se non HDL 4.6.

Sorry, hope that makes sense. I am ashamed to admit that I have never been shown or asked to see my results before joining this forum, and just believed everything the doctor said and advised.

Anyhoo, please could you help me out as I had a phonecall from surgery telling me the doctor ( Not mine!) wanted me to start statins straight way. I mailed the practice nurse, who I see and explained that I wish to see what the results for cholesterol come back like in 3 months.

Opinions, help and advice warmly welcomed.......thank you

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Nobody can make you take statins against your will. As far as I know from my reviews of statin info there is no evidence that they are beneficial to females. How low is your carb intake?

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you keep at the low carb diet, your need for statins will go away.
Your cholesterol will fall naturally.
If you don't want to have them it's your choice!
Though I would talk it through with your dsn! If she sees that your blood glucose levels are improving. That should convince her.

Reactions: 3 people

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nobody can make you take statins against your will. As far as I know from my reviews of statin info there is no evidence that they are beneficial to females. How low is your carb intake?
I have 30 - 50g a day.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have 30 - 50g a day.
I would have thought your triglyceride level would be lower. Are you also cutting out industrial fats? i.e. veg/grain oil/margarine?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ours lowered and hdl for me has been the best ever after the dairy heavy load of cheese n cream was replaced with medieteranean olive oil, avocado, olives and fish... We have only scrapings of feta, on salads, but all cream and other cheeses are gone.

Hubby was placed on 40mg atoravatatin after the increased cheese n dairy... He has now been reduced to 20. I amhoping August will be 10mg.

There are people that say it will naturally drop... But I was not prepared to see if that was true.. As I had never had such raises in mine the wrong way. The med diet is fantastic to me despite thinking I hated all the foods listed above. I absolutely adore them now. Still making delucious puds like avocado n choc mousse etc...

However we are all different..

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have thought your triglyceride level would be lower. Are you also cutting out industrial fats? i.e. veg/grain oil/margarine?

Not a bit of margarine, vegetable or grain oil has passed my lips since I started LCHF. I use extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and butter. I eat a few nuts/seeds a week, pecan, walnut, chia, flaxseed.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Are you losing weight?

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ours lowered and hdl for me has been the best ever after the dairy heavy load of cheese n cream was replaced with medieteranean olive oil, avocado, olives and fish... We have only scrapings of feta, on salads, but all cream and other cheeses are gone.

Hubby was placed on 40mg atoravatatin after the increased cheese n dairy... He has now been reduced to 20. I amhoping August will be 10mg.

There are people that say it will naturally drop... But I was not prepared to see if that was true.. As I had never had such raises in mine the wrong way. The med diet is fantastic to me despite thinking I hated all the foods listed above. I absolutely adore them now. Still making delucious puds like avocado n choc mousse etc...

However we are all different..

I have been reading your posts with interest DD. I do have alot of cream and cheese in my diet since january. Have also found avocado which I now love. Not too keen on fish, but have started to eat salmon. I only really ate cod, haddock anf tinned tuna before.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ah - that could be it. You may have some wonky cholesterol numbers until you get to a stable weight.

Reactions: 7 people

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all.
Nocrbs4me. Thanks, that makes sense. I have a fair bit to lose before I get to a heathy bmi.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I definitely agree with @nocarbs4me.

Losing weight releases a lot of stuff into the bloodstream, and that will push up your cholesterol.

Are you firmly in ketosis?
If so, your body is burning those Trigs as fuel.
If not, drop the carbs a bit more and go into deeper ketosis.

I wouldn't expect your cholesterol tests to give a 'true' reading until your weight has stabilised for a couple of months.

-but your doc may not know this!

Have a look on youtube for lectures by Professor Sikaris. He's a cholesterol expert, and streets ahead of the average general practitioner.
I'm sorry, I would post the links, but I have to dash.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not a bit of margarine, vegetable or grain oil has passed my lips since I started LCHF. I use extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and butter. I eat a few nuts/seeds a week, pecan, walnut, chia, flaxseed.

Nuts every night, tablespoons of flax and one of chia seeds for me each day too

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have been reading your posts with interest DD. I do have alot of cream and cheese in my diet since january. Have also found avocado which I now love. Not too keen on fish, but have started to eat salmon. I only really ate cod, haddock anf tinned tuna before.

Same as I was.. Cod only previously. My fear was anything looking like an animal still. So hubby flakes the fresh mackeral over my salads for me! Salmon is now ok because ut doesn't actually look like an animal.
I'm still the same with chicken. Thought I had found a way with coping with looking at it as a whole chicken but I just bsil out of cooking it now again. Don't particularly like it now compared to fish!! Wanted to try fresh tuna but at £6.99 for two pieces- no way.
Don't like any fish in a tin though..

For me the turn round to eating fish is huge and definitely the med diet has improved me hugely.

I often wonder why some people can go heavy on the saturates but I couldn't nor my hubby... Definitely the med fats and foods suit us both...

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I definitely agree with @nocarbs4me.

Losing weight releases a lot of stuff into the bloodstream, and that will push up your cholesterol.

Are you firmly in ketosis?
If so, your body is burning those Trigs as fuel.
If not, drop the carbs a bit more and go into deeper ketosis.

I wouldn't expect your cholesterol tests to give a 'true' reading until your weight has stabilised for a couple of months.

-but your doc may not know this!

Have a look on youtube for lectures by Professor Sikaris. He's a cholesterol expert, and streets ahead of the average general practitioner.
I'm sorry, I would post the links, but I have to dash.

I lost a tiny bit of weight unintentionally when introducing the heavies of fats.. But it was lbs.. Why then would I have got such an increase in cholesterol and hubby maintained his as he had lost the vast majority of 4 stone before going heavy and the increase in the heavy fats.

On the two times I tested for ketosis in that time my ketones were 0.2!!

Thats why I just don't understand how for a permanently lean person not in ketosis and hubby maintaing his weight rather than the huge loss he did previous why his levels went so badly in wrong direction.

I just can't fathom out why...

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really useful post as I am trying to reduce on carbs but the dn mentioned at my recent visit my cholesterol is high. Now know to she for a breakdown as had not previously know there is more than one type, and good to know I need to look at oil for cooking. Got my 3 months checks coming soon so can try and get to the facts this time!

Well done on your hba1c a great result

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beware that:

NICE has given the green light to a new QOF indicator rewarding Gp practices for how many patients they treat with statins at the 10% primary prevention threshold, despite unease among GP members on the independent advisory panel.
The introduction of the 10% threshold for prescribing statins to patients newly diagnosed diabetes and hypertension was discussed this afternoon at the first meeting of the newly convened QOF committee.
The indicator will now be put forward for GPC and NHS Employers to negotiate its introduction into the contract for 2015/16.