Statins Increase for diabetics??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If GPs like mine - 11 different ones (2 practices in 5 years) do not report statin side effects-as none have with me then the figures are not adequate....or correct.

For those that have reported statin side effects and intolerance.. Check your medical allergies online... Thry should have a note saying intolerant to statins....

If they don't then ask your GP if they have notified the MHRA on the MHRA scheme thay you have had side effects.

If graj0 and my GPs are not updating our medical files and not reporting then GPs and NICE are always going to try and ram these drugs down patients throats.

Many people would not even think that something that GP has said is good for them may have rotten side effects and not think it was the statins.

It was only 3 years ago that they had to admit they can cause depression too...

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oddly enough, I passed a poster yesterday with Dr. Chris Steele advising the use of CoQ10 for Statin users. I didn't get the chance to read the whole thing through, but it listed possible Statin side effects .Admittedly, it was an advertising poster, but I found it interesting that it was there at all .

Signy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Another question is about how this is discussed with the GP though. I try and take an approach where I ask them for their opinion on the latest research. Principally you are asking them if they have looked at the study based evidence relating to cholesterol and vascular disease. Not statins. If they have then go further and ask, given the research, what the benfits of statins are in light of this. Get them to answer the question rather than having a combative experience. If you ask questions in a way that they have to answer properly and not yes or no then they have to think about what they're saying and it might surprise you. It also puts you in control of the conversation.

Reactions: 9 people
C

catherinecherub

@graj0, the quote you have attributed to me was made as a comment to the article I referenced and was from a HCP.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only good thing that came from my first annual review last summer with our practice diabetes doctor was that he was willing to reduce my statins prescription by half, where my own GP had insisted I still take a 40mg dose when my cholesterol level was right down to 2.7. I do have the option (as with all my repeat meds) of not selecting an item to my online repeat prescription requests, so have some choice in/control over what I'm willing to take without having to waste NHS money.

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many GPs get cross with patients that look stuff up on the Internet. They are concerned that they are not trained to filter information correctly. Unfortunately the tend to filter it differently to GPs.

Indeed! When I mentioned to my GP that I was using this forum and getting useful advice, he warned me off saying that many diabetics online "had agendas". However, one thing that was fortunately! drummed into me in my working life was to consider the source when looking for information - online or otherwise, and I do try to remember that at all times... It's one of the best pieces of advice I've ever had.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Indeed! When I mentioned to my GP that I was using this forum and getting useful advice, he warned me off saying that many diabetics online "had agendas". However, one thing that was fortunately! drummed into me in my working life was to consider the source when looking for information - online or otherwise, and I do try to remember that at all times... It's one of the best pieces of advice I've ever had.

Robbity
Couldn't agree more, and if you are researching from multiple sources and considering information with a variety of population sizes to draw on, then you should be able to make an informed decision.

Having said that, I've said before that some GPs don't like to consider that the person talking to them may have as great an intellectual capacity as they do.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Robbity
I'd love to know what he thinks our agenda is apart from helping other diabetics where we can. What a ridiculous statement. The GPs, of course, have no agenda in promoting big Pharma or increasing their income from prescribing the statins. These guys aren't professionals.

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'd love to know what he thinks our agenda is apart from helping other diabetics where we can. What a ridiculous statement. The GPs, of course, have no agenda in promoting big Pharma or increasing their income from prescribing the statins. These guys aren't professionals.

Very good point... We are here really because of wanting good health and to help others- so why would that contribute as an agenda?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Taken statins for about 4 years with no side effects but am told by many they are bad for people with diabetes so I suddenly stopped taking them, I do keep saying I must tell the Doctor but always forget ......:confused:

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Received an email today from Justin Smith, maker of Statin Nation and Statin Nation II - for a limited time, you can watch a free exerpt from Statin Nation II - about 24 minutes long:

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity
Seems a bit crazy of your doc if like many our "agenda" is to lower blood sugar level and take control of the diabetes bully!

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't agree more, and if you are researching from multiple sources and considering information with a variety of population sizes to draw on, then you should be able to make an informed decision.

Having said that, I've said before that some GPs don't like to consider that the person talking to them may have as great an intellectual capacity as they do.
....and an invested interest in nailing diabetes to individual requirements rather than NICE guidance.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I never considered it worth asking him as I believe there are generally a few people all over the the place who have a serious "bee in their bonnet" over some issue or other, or are trolls, just plain nutters - or even doctors... :D And I believe it's usually possible to tell if someone is obsessively OTT rather than has a genuine concern.

Robbity

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Either take statins as prescribed, or get GP to record your refusal to take them. GP gets bonus; NHS doesn't waste money on drugs that are dispensed but not used.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well said ...will do when I next visit that is if I remember :oops:

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I would love to know what financial incentives there are for Doctors to prescribe Statins.
Two Doctors at my practice swear blind the pains I get in my shoulder are because of a fozen shoulder, not Statins.

When I leave the Statins off my aches & pains virtually disappear, go figure !

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it unconscionable that they are pushing statins on women of child bearing age - what if you get pregnant while taking them?
And from reading Hendrick, not one single study, ever, has demonstrated any benefit for women of statins. They decrease life expectancy.