Type 1 Need some help for getting my life back together again

dex_71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all!!!

I am quite new and I need some advice and tips: basically since I’ve started injecting insulin my life has drastically changed. I used to go out most nights after work for a pint or 2 with friends, going to museums, shops, gigs etc. Now I am really struggling to have a “normal” life as by 12.30 I know that if I don’t eat something I may go hypo, and again by 18.30. Therefore as soon as I finish work I rush home to make sure that I have my dinner ready. I am now fed up with this kind of life and I would like some tips, for example if you go to a pub, knowing that the beer contains carbs, do you inject at the pub?? Or you just wait till you have dinner? If you know that you are going to stay out till late and have dinner later, do you eat something before (with or without insulin)?
Because of these issues I am also stuck in my 9-5 office work avoiding to apply for other positions that would be more interesting but would stop me to have food (lunch and dinner) at regular times. How people manage that??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there, and welcome :)
Are you using basal/ bolus, fixed doses at set times, or a mixed insulin ? I'm asking because the way to manage it differs slightly .

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

dex_71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use lantus twice a day 40 units before going to bed and 7 in the morning, then novorapid every time I eat

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Must be awful working and trying to control the Diabetes.. :(

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I low carb, I find it makes my levels much more stable and within a narrower range. Most weekends we have a day out, yesterday was Bristol. I just take my insulin with me and inject if I eat. We walked 4 miles, a fortnight ago we did a different part of Bristol and walked 7 miles. No hypos, no urgent need for food, no glucose tabs needed, nothing. You have to carry on living too, why should any of these day to day things be a no no now? We walk most days as we have dogs, I just make sure I always have a meter with me and gluco tabs etc if needed.

I refuse to be embarrassed about needing to inject and, if you are, nip to the loo and do it. I find I can inject my novorapid up to 30 mins in advance but we are all different, you need to work out how it affects YOU. So sometimes I might inject in the car if I know the place I am going to and roughly what I will eat.

Ali

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hello all!!!

I am quite new and I need some advice and tips: basically since I’ve started injecting insulin my life has drastically changed. I used to go out most nights after work for a pint or 2 with friends, going to museums, shops, gigs etc. Now I am really struggling to have a “normal” life as by 12.30 I know that if I don’t eat something I may go hypo, and again by 18.30. Therefore as soon as I finish work I rush home to make sure that I have my dinner ready. I am now fed up with this kind of life and I would like some tips, for example if you go to a pub, knowing that the beer contains carbs, do you inject at the pub?? Or you just wait till you have dinner? If you know that you are going to stay out till late and have dinner later, do you eat something before (with or without insulin)?
Because of these issues I am also stuck in my 9-5 office work avoiding to apply for other positions that would be more interesting but would stop me to have food (lunch and dinner) at regular times. How people manage that??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Not easy to change routines.. But to be honest you shouldn't have to!!

You need to speak to your DSN/consultant but before you do test getting up, pre meal, 2hrs after meal, pre driving, before bed and occasionslly at 3am. This will give them a full picture of what you are experiencing and give them the ability to see your day to day living as a whole.

You need to do this... Whilst working and on your time off as there will be differences...

It seems like a pain in bum but believe me... It helps and if your foods and injection amounts are listed down as well and any activities ( yes that includes pubs after work) then it will help them realise the whole picture. Without that they are guessing...and you need to be honest and open with them.

dex_71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, I was supposed to be put on a 24hrs 7 days BG monitoring, but it has now be canceled till they find a new technician..
I've done some tests by myself anyway and I know for example that my blood sugar starts dropping after 4 hours I injected Novorapid and I can go hypo after 5/6 hours (therefore the need to have scheduled lunch/dinner). Last week I had 3 hypos though, maybe due to the warm weather, don't know as anything has changed in my routine.

As I said regardless all these issues I want to have again a "social" life so I was wondering what the other people do when they go out: if you go to a pub and drink beer, do you wait to inject the insulin only when you are actually going for dinner or at the pub?

if you know that you are going to eat later than usual, do you have something before and compensate later??

Thanks!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why drink beer? Other alchohol is non bolusing.....

Going hypo outside of 2-3 hours of bolysing would insicate basal time or qty incorrect.

Aa I'm on a pump now I know I can go anytime of day without eating or delay etc. i'm not sure nowadays how persons on mdi do this anymore. Certainly if your basals are correct then it should be allowing for flexibility with your living...

pileobunnies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your Lantus dose is too high since the lows are happening well after your Novorapid should have worn off.

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can still have the life you enjoyed before...you just need to keep testing. Go for a pint after work...but test before and after to see the effect it has on you. For many people alcohol will drop blood sugars so make sure you have some jelly babies handy...beer however is quite carby so you may find you need to inject. It's a bit of trial and error and as much about getting your confidence up...testing is the key to getting to grips with it all...please don't give up...life goes on regardless

Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with Natalie -- it is just a matter of trying things and gaining confidence -- I have had and continue to have a great social life and don't let anything stop me -- I just have learned over the years to keep my gear with me at all times , some sweets for emergency and on the odd occasion have a hypo along the way to keep life interesting :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 people