Going on about diabetes too much

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having watched it again (full screen) I quite agree; perhaps he uses it to ice cakes as well. :meh:

The girls reply on finding out Hansel's condition is a modern day "standard." :rolleyes:
To which the subject is changed to pumpkins.. He don't wanna go on about diabetes too much..! Lol;)

Reactions: 6 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
The girls reply on finding out Hansel's condition is a modern day "standard." :rolleyes:
To which the subject is changed to pumpkins.. He don't wanna go on about diabetes too much..! Lol;)

Maybe that's what we should all call it!

"Oh the Pumpkins is going okay at the moment; been a bit more rounded..."

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really must watch that again, I found it hilarious the first time around :D Hansel gets the pumpkin, sorry, sugar sickness from scoffing the witches house made of candy , as I recall. :rolleyes:

Actually, I could have done with his syringe this afternoon to silicone the bathroom :D

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I must change my Two-Facebook photo: it really is grumpy (I've just spotted it in the 'like us on...') :eek:

Done... found one of Dr. David Banner during one of his (my) turns. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe that's what we should all call it!

"Oh the Pumpkins is going okay at the moment; been a bit more rounded..."

I suppose Hansel's reception from the young lady was more civil than the poor D guy at the night club in the film "Species".. :eek:

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is good that you have this approach. My brother can be quite patronising. He talks as if he has a unique form of diabetes, type him. He is in the shade on this warm day today as it is important to stay cool, what with him being a diabetic then it is you know! his words.
I wonder though, these people that are diabetic in warmer countries like Asia, then many are Muslims. My wife says many people with type 2 diabetes (as per my brother) fast during Ramadam. How do they do it??

I am not quite religious, but I live in country where Muslims are majority and most of them don't fast during Ramadan because everything that is harmful to your body and health is "haraam" and it's forbidden.
Now on topic. I don't really like to speak about diabetes with my friends, even my family. Just a few of my friends know that I am diabetic and when I meet someone new, that is the last thing I want to speak about. I often don't feel comfortable even to check my sugar or take insulin on public places and in front of other people. I feel that everyone around me is uneducated and know nothing about diabetes.
And like someone other said before, I feel bad because on my language diabetes is called "sugar disease" and it drives my crazy all the time.

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like that quote about having diabetes, but not saying you're diabetic. Boring after 39 years, it really is. Some days I'm enraged by peoples misconceptions, others I just let them talk rubbish. Only we know the truth comrades I work with someone who is what I call a Professional Diabetic, and I've started to hide from her, as it's all she talks about remember it's good to talk, especially if you're feeling fed up, but check your audience are 1. Bothered 2. In the know. I spend more time fretting about what's falling off my 1961 Morris Minor, so it's been really therapeutic for me. Also, I've been banned from health web sites.....don't frighten yourselves until you've spoken to someone. Good luck and painless jabbing x

Rickmac1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My problem is I really don't like talking about it, I've had it for over 15 years and only a few people know I have it. It's probably one of the reasons I struggle to get better control - hence why I've joined this site so I can speak to other people that have the condition!

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else feel like they talk about their diabetes a lot of the time? I feel as though I want to explain it and I want everyone to understand it and know that it is difficult to live with. But I also don't want it to define me and moan about it too much. How do you find the right balance?

The only time I talk about being diabetic is with my brother and sister in law (who is also type 2). As far as I am concerned I have an illness, or a condition. It does not make me a less of a person than anyone else.

I learned my lesson the hard way, when I told people that I suffer from a mental illness and have had electric shock treatment. I have had people step away or move away from me when I have told them.

To put this in context my brother committed suicide twenty seven years ago. It made front page News. The headline read "Escaped Mental Patient Jumps From Multi Story Block Of Flats"

Actually my brother was ill and died as a result of his illness, but I dont suppose that sells News Papers

At the end of the day it is up to you what information you share and with whom you share it

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
I don't talk about myself having Type 1 I have no need to. People who know me know I have had it for 48 years. It's part of my life and I have learned to live with this condition.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I talk to my husband about diabetes, no-one else. My mother grills me about it and she updates all her friends which I find really really annoying.

I dislike having T2DM, I dislike the attitude of many HCPs to people with diabetes, I dislike the judgment by members of the public so I don't tell people that I have diabetes.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Of course, the other thing that you can do is to blog about it, if you need to get it off your chest. The forum has that functionality readily available to you!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tell people if necessary. It's usually to do with food. I try not to appear fussy but it's a learning curve.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I tell people if necessary. It's usually to do with food. I try not to appear fussy but it's a learning curve.

As much for them as us!

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I tell people at work because I often have to eat on location - and finding suitable food can be tricky. So far my colleagues have been brilliant. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else feel like they talk about their diabetes a lot of the time? I feel as though I want to explain it and I want everyone to understand it and know that it is difficult to live with. But I also don't want it to define me and moan about it too much. How do you find the right balance?

I wouldn't go on and on about it.

If you need help and advice etc - get on community boards etc and/ or talk to diabetic people you know or the doctors. In general I wouldn't start explaining it to people unless they asked. If you need some general support and have a good friendship network then of course, talk with them. That's what friends are for.

With regards to wanting people to understand the struggles you're facing....

The older you get you'll realise that most people have issues or problems that are hard to deal with. On top of diabetes there's depression, anxiety, bereavement, IBS, asthma etc etc. I understand how you feel but try not to presume that others don't or won't have their own struggles.

Meds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the consensus seems to be that if you are asked to talk about it or people need to know that you're diabetic for safety reasons than you do talk about it and if not you don't. Thank you for replying, this was my first question and I only joined the site yesterday so it's great to get so many responses so quickly. I'll try not to moan about it as much I guess :p
I think it is normal that you want to talk about it a lot after you have been diagnosed. It is such a major event in your life and you have to give it a place which takes time. I would definitely encourage you to speak about it. Once you adjust to the new situation you will find that the need to talk about it will diminish by itself. There might even come a point where you might not like people talking about it anymore. Just give it time and be easy on yourself.

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would like it if someone in the family occasionally asked how my diabetes is going. It's taken them years to realise that if out for the day, I must know if and at what time a meal is on the horizon! and how about congratulations on keeping up the walking in most weathers! Oh dear, no self-pity dear!

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh this is familiar! My mum in law swings between 'have a cake, you can can't you?' to lying across the biscuit tin because she's read in the Daily Nazi there's a type 2 epidemic ( I've been type1 for 40 years but does she get the difference? ) Some days I want a badge saying how brave I am and others I just want everyone to know I'm s Sagittarius and that is all. I get you and appreciate you walking in all weathers

Reactions: 6 people