Didn't realise how dangerously ill I was!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw my own GP today for the first time since January when she told me I should be on insulin, and I started my lchf journey. She was very pleased with what I've achieved since and definitely don't need insulin now :)
BG has gone down to near normal, I've lost 2 stone, and my kidney function has stayed the same for the last few weeks, eGFR 28, which is great after the rapid drop that started in January!
I asked why all the complications I've had recently, kidney failure, lots of foot problems, low blood pressure, breathlessness etc started in the last few months, just as my BG starting coming down and she said that I'd been living on the brink for so long it was lucky I took control when I did. I've been left with some complications, but said that if I hadn't sorted myself out so quickly I probably wouldn't be here now, or at the very least I'd be on dialysis already! :eek:

So yes, I'm still alive and doing relatively well, so on the whole I think it's a success story!

I've got to have an echocardiagram becasue of the breathlessness, and I've still got to have weekly blood tests on the renal teams orders, but I'm ok with that, I know I'm not out of the woods yet! Next one is next Tuesday when I'll have another A1C as well And I've got to see my doctor again on Friday and she said I'll probably have a reduction in my diabetic meds :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 18 people
M

mammamia2006

Well done, that is very good news. Fingers crossed everything else starts getting better for you.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)Brilliant news. Very well done! I am very much hoping that you've started a virtuous circle now where everything will gradually improve for you. You certainly deserve it. You've made my day :)

I reckon the reduction in meds may well help your other problems too.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased for you @rowan, hope your other tests go well and your good progress continues.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:)Brilliant news. Very well done! I am very much hoping that you've started a virtuous circle now where everything will gradually improve for you. You certainly deserve it. You've made my day :)

I reckon the reduction in meds may well help your other problems too.

Thank you! 'virtuous circle' ---> :angelic: makes a lovely change from a vicious circle! ;)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck for the future and all the very best :)

RRB:)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Trust you to look on the bright side. Happy for you and just hope it keeps getting better.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news, Rowan, you have done really well :) I hope everything else improves for you too :)

Signy

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all :)
I've still got the surgery for Crohns to look forward to later in the year, but I'm sure the weight loss must help that a bit.
And the heart thing is a bit worrying, never had heart problems before, but I'm not going to worry about that now, it might come to nothing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Rowan, that is very good news. Onwards and upwards. :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Latest A1C result - 49!! :D
And I'm off the metformin! Still taking Gliclazide though.

My renal doctor wanted me off the metformin as it can affect kidney function, and although that hasn't gone down any more in the last month it hasn't improved at all, so I'm have a kidney biopsy in the next week or two, and also an echocardiagram at the end of the month, hopefully they will show why I'm feeling so ill when I though lower BG would make me feel better!

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest A1C result - 49!! :D
And I'm off the metformin! Still taking Gliclazide though.

My renal doctor wanted me off the metformin as it can affect kidney function, and although that hasn't gone down any more in the last month it hasn't improved at all, so I'm have a kidney biopsy in the next week or two, and also an echocardiagram at the end of the month, hopefully they will show why I'm feeling so ill when I though lower BG would make me feel better!

Stupendous HbA1c result Rowan. Especially when you look at your starting point in January.

Fingers crossed for next week for you.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stupendous HbA1c result Rowan. Especially when you look at your starting point in January.

Fingers crossed for next week for you.

Thank you :) I had quite a slow start but once it picked up it's been good going and I think low carb has become an ingrained part of me now :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you :) I had quite a slow start but once it picked up it's been good going and I think low carb has become an ingrained part of me now :)
Well done mate!:)