Stopping smoking

Janiept

Expert
When we moved a year or so ago we declared the house a smoke free zone so I've always stood outside the back door for a cig.
I kind of associate the door as being my enemy now but it's a week today and I've managed not to kick it in !!!
Try with me Janiept!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A whole week! Well done you really do have my respect. Sorry if you have already mentioned this but to save me reading back through the whole thread, is this the first time you have stopped? I tried many many years ago and managed for three weeks and then decided that smoking was probably better than being locked up for GBH ;).
Your last line has kind of inspired me and I just might (might ) give it a shot. How are you coping generally. I would love to hear.

Reactions: 4 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave up once about 7 years ago. I stopped for about 6 months and went on holiday to Italy and for some reason decided I could just enjoy it while I was away (who was I kidding!!!).
Since then I haven't tried again. Mainly because deep down I didn't think I could do it and didn't want to fail also sadly I really enjoy it.
But I am a week in as you say and I won't lie it's not been easy!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The metabolic change when you stop is quite well documented Rrb and I know a couple of people who have stopped and even though they ate exactly the same they still gained weight.
I have lately gained 8 lb anyway because of bloomin medication (still eating the same) and the thought of more fills me with dread.
Hands up to having an eating disorder :oops:
I guess it's make or break time.

I can understand that you don't want to gain weight, but not everyone gains weight. It's weighing up the positives and the negatives. I used to think It's no use me giving up smoking, because I wont be able to do it, but I did with a lot of encouragement and positivity from my daughter, which really did help.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do :) ps Honestly,if I can do it, anyone can lol

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
i stooped now over one year ago, was hard, but it was not easy, i now feel great i not smoke

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I gave up once about 7 years ago. I stopped for about 6 months and went on holiday to Italy and for some reason decided I could just enjoy it while I was away (who was I kidding!!!).
Since then I haven't tried again. Mainly because deep down I didn't think I could do it and didn't want to fail also sadly I really enjoy it.

Since giving up smoking I went through a few nasty moments with great sadness, worry and stress, I could of easily gone and bought a packet of ciggys but it made me stronger by not giving in. It's the receptors in the brain that crave the nicotine, but it will ease off as the first week is the worse:arghh:. You are doing so well, so keep on being positive and don't give in to those evil cravings.:nailbiting: and remember to give yourself a little treat from time to time, as it is well deserved.
Good luck and all the best RRB

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A whole week! Well done you really do have my respect. Sorry if you have already mentioned this but to save me reading back through the whole thread, is this the first time you have stopped? I tried many many years ago and managed for three weeks and then decided that smoking was probably better than being locked up for GBH ;).
Your last line has kind of inspired me and I just might (might ) give it a shot. How are you coping generally. I would love to hear.
I think it's different for everyone but these few points I've found in Internet are helping me
http://allencarr.com/454/top-tips-on-how-to-stop-smoking-using-allen-carr-s-easyway-method

Janiept

Expert

Anthea1948

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up about 8 years ago, after smoking 40 a day quite regularly for years. In the end I went to an Allen Carr clinic, which I found really helpful, as are his books, which focus on the good things about stopping smoking, not the bad things about smoking. The thing is to not think of it as giving up anything, because in fact you'll be gaining all sorts of things. You're doing well so far, keep it up!

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that, some of it made sense but to be honest some of it didn't.
Hope you enjoy the bbq this weekend and look forward to hearing how much you enjoyed yourself without resorting to cigs.
This girl will be thinking of you :)
I totally agree some of it to me is random blah blah blah. But no.5 and no.6 for some reason stuck with me.
Thanks for the support!!
I know you might not be ready now to stop and don't feel bad for that.
Let's see how things go for both of us eh :)
Have a nice weekend.

C

chris lowe

Well done for getting a week in, No one says it's easy but just take it a day at a time. Keep it up :)

Reactions: 3 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up 10 years ago this year, when my diabtes was diagnosed, wasn't particularly easy especially when my Mum died on Christmas Day 2 weeks later, but the last time I'd spoken to her she was so pleased I'd given up and i knew she'd be so disappointed if she was the reason I started again. She died from a massive heart attack (after a previous smaller one and several strokes) and she was diabetic.
I had patches from the doctor to help. One other thing I found helped was if I had a really strong craving I'd brush my teeth, the freshness seemed to help stop the craving. And I had exceptionally clean teeth for a while ;)

Reactions: 6 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I stopped smoking nearly six years ago using Champix. My GP was hesitant as Champix is not recommended for anyone with depression. I was not depressed, just grieving as I had lost my husband a few months beforehand. He asked me if it was a good time to stop, I replied yes, as I am all my son has!
The champix worked and I know I will never smoke again, even if I am facing a firing squad!

I waited till I was 49 to stop as I was too scared. I even stopped drinking for a while in case I had to drive to the petrol station to buy a packet. It is only an addiction and once it has gone it has gone.

Reactions: 6 people

jason134

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
It is an addiction and will always be there I can't stand the smell now but there has been a few Times when I've been tempted

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I stopped smoking 30 years ago with the help of some chewing gum ...it was awful stuff tasted yacky so used to cut it in half but with that and some will power I managed it :);)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I not sure maybe not as you not inhaling all that yacky smoke :(

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How's it going @drahawkins_1973 ? Are your withdrawal symptoms easing?
I had a few puffs on an e-cig at BBQ on Saturday but aside from that I've been getting better. It's getting easier most of the time but still getting the odd really bad craving but managing to resist.

I am finding I am nibbling nuts and cheese so I know I'll be putting a bit of weight on so I've just been for a walk to take my mind off it. But thanks for asking :)